Anyone else wishes Heartgold/Soulsilver had been made during Gen V. ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else wishes Heartgold/Soulsilver had been made during Gen V. ?

Default Anyone else wishes Heartgold/Soulsilver had been made during Gen V. ?

After my relatively recent playthrough of HG, I couldn't help but wish:
    * the sprites were constantly animated
    * hidden machines were reusable
    * new moves and hidden abilities were present
    * dark grass/horde encounters
    * seasons
    * Pokemart being combined with Pokecenter
    * no poison status outside of battle (yes, I'm real)
    * field moves requiring no badges
    * faster depleting HP bar
    * habitat mode

I think these would have made the remake much better, also on top of those, I wish the game had better Pokemon availability/distribution along with wild and trainers' Pokemon not being so underleveled T_T

It seems they do the remakes at random, since the plan doesn't look to be having them remade either 2 generations later nor to have a remake every 2 generations, because in those cases it would have been remakes in Gens 3 (happened), 5 (didn't happen), 7 (won't happen, since ROAS is being made now) or 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.

Now I wish for a remake of a remake :P Do you think that will ever happen?

the pretender Ivysaur's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone else wishes Heartgold/Soulsilver had been made during Gen V. ?

Quote Originally Posted by elveonora View Post
    After my relatively recent playthrough of HG, I couldn't help but wish:
    * the sprites were constantly animated
    * hidden machines were reusable
    * new moves and hidden abilities were present
    * dark grass/horde encounters
    * seasons
    * Pokemart being combined with Pokecenter
    * no poison status outside of battle (yes, I'm real)
    * field moves requiring no badges
    * faster depleting HP bar
    * habitat mode
    You could also make the argument that GS remakes should've been released in Generation VI instead, since we would've had 3D battles, a fully 3D overworld, greater online features to take advantage of, and so on. As the series goes on, new features and refinements will be made that'll make the older games feel outdated. There's really no way around it; it would've been worse if they were made for the GBA instead, or if Johto had been included in FRLG, nullifying the need for HGSS right there.

I wish the game had better Pokemon availability/distribution along with wild and trainers' Pokemon not being so underleveled T_T
    I agree, but that wouldn't have changed even if the games were developed for Generation V.

It seems they do the remakes at random
    They relegate remakes by system, not generation. If the pattern holds, we'll see DP remakes on the successor to the 3DS, unless they decide to go for something different to fulfill the vacancy (sequels, a new region, etc.). Just like elements of Kanto were incorporated into Kalos, though, I could see aspects of Johto being featured in Gen 7.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Default Re: Anyone else wishes Heartgold/Soulsilver had been made during Gen V. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivysaur View Post
    They relegate remakes by system, not generation.
    Good point, didn't think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivysaur View Post
    As the series goes on, new features and refinements will be made that'll make the older games feel outdated. There's really no way around it
    This is very unfortunate though. Wouldn't have made it sense then to release another Kanto remake along with ORAS? It would sell like hotcakes. Gen VI. remake of Gen III. renders Gen III. obsolete, and so does the Gen I. remake in it by extension, very few people will play FR/LG once ORAS come out. Like come on, it asks for second Kanto remake, hell even the anime adaptation of XY uses a remixed version of the original Pokemon Theme :P

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is very unfortunate though. Wouldn't have made it sense then to release another Kanto remake along with ORAS? It would sell like hotcakes. Gen VI. remake of Gen III. renders Gen III. obsolete, and so does the Gen I. remake in it by extension, very few people will play FR/LG once ORAS come out. Like come on, it asks for second Kanto remake, hell even the anime adaptation of XY uses a remixed version of the original Pokemon Theme :P
    I don't think a re-remake would sell as well, most of the veterans are sick of Kanto at this point, and going back for the 5th time with no significant changes would be too grating for them to want it, it would sell almost exclusively to the audience that was too young to play FRLG. What they could do is a BW2 style sequel, but that would have the opposite effect, the veterans would be more inclined to buy it, but the younger players may not like it as much because they haven't had the opportunity to play the originals. I think the best way to go about this would be to have some kind of bundle deal, sell FRLG and its sequel in the same package, but I don't think Game Freak would go for that solution at this point if at all.

The gap between FRLG and HGSS was already close to 6 years, which I'd say was long enough (the gap between HGSS and ORAS is a bit over 5 years). It wouldn't have made sense to delay the remakes and release Black and White in the same year as Gold and Silver's tenth anniversary.

I don't think that the Generation V mechanics would have made HGSS a lot better, but I do think HGSS should have had better animated sprites considering that Crystal introduced the feature (Emerald brought it back in a limited capacity, with the Generation IV games using that template rather than Crystal's). I'd say that quite a few of the features Black and White introduced or polished were deliberately not included in the Generation IV games.

Blog Entries

No. The overall look of Gen 4 was vastly better than Gen 5.

YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I don't think a re-remake would sell as well, most of the veterans are sick of Kanto at this point, and going back for the 5th time with no significant changes would be too grating for them to want it, it would sell almost exclusively to the audience that was too young to play FRLG. What they could do is a BW2 style sequel, but that would have the opposite effect, the veterans would be more inclined to buy it, but the younger players may not like it as much because they haven't had the opportunity to play the originals. I think the best way to go about this would be to have some kind of bundle deal, sell FRLG and its sequel in the same package, but I don't think Game Freak would go for that solution at this point if at all.
    As you imply, remakes are rarely targeted at the veterans. Also I wouldn't call a completely remastered in 3D Kanto as "more of the same" it would be great to see Pallet Town in-game like it does in the anime, with more than 3 buildings and 4 people or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    The gap between FRLG and HGSS was already close to 6 years, which I'd say was long enough (the gap between HGSS and ORAS is a bit over 5 years). It wouldn't have made sense to delay the remakes and release Black and White in the same year as Gold and Silver's tenth anniversary.

I don't think that the Generation V mechanics would have made HGSS a lot better, but I do think HGSS should have had better animated sprites considering that Crystal introduced the feature (Emerald brought it back in a limited capacity, with the Generation IV games using that template rather than Crystal's). I'd say that quite a few of the features Black and White introduced or polished were deliberately not included in the Generation IV games.
    Possibly, because Heartgold/Soulsilver and Black/White were developed at the same time I'd say. That's even less of an excuse to purposely "save content for later"
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraTF View Post
    Such as?

Blog Entries

Such as?
    The overall look. There's no "Such as?" to that. The graphical style of Gen 4 was much better than that of Gen 5.

YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

Blog Entries

The graphical style of Gen 4 was much better than that of Gen 5.
    Maybe in your opinion.

Anyway, any older game would benefit to have the trends and features of latter Generations, when GameFreak doesn't screw around, which is what usually happens anyway. Even in 6th Gen, they would probably insist on being way too loyal to the original games and not make many much-needed changes. Happened with FRLG (No way to see Ribbons, no clock and thus no way to get Espeon/Umbreon, no way to get Milotic, no pre-National Pokédex expansion), HGSS (No Pokétch, no Moss Rock or Ice Rock, no magnetic zone, no VS Seeker, meaningless Pokédex expansion), and even ORAS is shaping up to ignore convenience over faithfulness.

If anything, maybe if they had left it for 5th Gen, HGSS would've benefited from an infinitely better storyline, which among its horrid pacing, is its biggest flaw. Alas, they fixed next to nothing in both fields.

"I'm sure that we and Pokémon have helped each other and enriched the world since ancient times. These memories have been engraved in each Pokémon's heart! So, I want Pokémon and people to get closer and closer! As the Champion, I want to tell that to everybody!"

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As you imply, remakes are rarely targeted at the veterans.
    Maybe not, but they take veterans into account, I don't think they'd want all of the veterans not to buy the games.

Also I wouldn't call a completely remastered in 3D Kanto as "more of the same" it would be great to see Pallet Town in-game like it does in the anime, with more than 3 buildings and 4 people or so.
    I wouldn't be so sure, a couple of the areas in ORAS have similar designs to the originals, I don't think they'd make those kinds of expansions in a straight remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion-Sama View Post
    If anything, maybe if they had left it for 5th Gen, HGSS would've benefited from an infinitely better storyline, which among its horrid pacing, is its biggest flaw. Alas, they fixed next to nothing in both fields.
    There's very little they could've done to fix the pacing if they were keeping with the originals. I don't think HGSS can be redeemed without dropping Kanto and giving Johto full focus, and the only way they can do that is with a sequel.

Being part of the 5th Gen wouldn't have fixed the storyline of Gen 2 and unlike what a lot of people think here, BW story being the best in series is not a FACT, it's just opinion, in my opinion it was just as bad as Gen 2 storyline. They should have fixed the poor level curve, Johto feeling too small and crammed and alot more stuff in Kanto than just beating Gym Leaders before fixing the storyline and if they didn't fixed that in Gen 4, i doubt they would have tried to do it in Gen 5.

Claimer of Garchomp and Steam Eruption

3DS 4682-9334-0694

Blog Entries

If it wasn't put into gen 4 then that gen would be very poor. Not many people like gen 5 because it has no remakes.

FC: 4725-8143-3936 IGN: Serenade
    Claims: Mega Gyarados, Noble Roar, Stance Change, King's Rock, Reshiram Doll

Blog Entries

I'm gonna call bullshit here. There is a 100% chance that the story of HGSS would have remained the same as GSC even if it was done in Gen 5. Gen 5 also had one of the worst stories ever.

YouTube|Breeding Service

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    There's very little they could've done to fix the pacing if they were keeping with the originals. I don't think HGSS can be redeemed without dropping Kanto and giving Johto full focus, and the only way they can do that is with a sequel.
    At least someone here contributed a good point. I agree. If only that happened. Maybe by Gen 10 when they're tired of remakes. lol

Plus, looking at XY, it's not like all their huge improvements in storytelling in 5th Gen amounted to anything at all.

"I'm sure that we and Pokémon have helped each other and enriched the world since ancient times. These memories have been engraved in each Pokémon's heart! So, I want Pokémon and people to get closer and closer! As the Champion, I want to tell that to everybody!"

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

No but I would like to have seen ORAS in Gen 5, so that we could get 3DPPt by now.

And also I do want to see a FRLGemake. We haven't visited Kanto properly (don't count GS addition) since 2004, think a return is overdue, maybe more so than Ruby/Sapphire, if you consider that Emerald, a Hoenn based game came out in 2005, so actually we've been 1 year longer without a Kanto based game than a Hoenn based game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast