"The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed" Help!!!

Thread: "The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed" Help!!!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default "The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed" Help!!!

Ok I just got a FireRed from a friend today. It looked perfect and ran smoothly. But when I tried to save, there was a saving error and the game crashed. When I restarted it, it said "The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed." So I played a new game until I was able to save, and then it just said "Error. Please install backup memory" or something like that. Keep in mind that this is a cartige and not an emulator.

Help!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: "The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed" Help!!!

Very strange... if it were an emulator, I'd say the program was trying to emulate the wrong type of save area for the game (Gen III Pokemon saves are 1M aka 1Mbit aka 128 kilobytes, and use a type of non-volatile Flash storage). As it isn't an emulator, I'd say there are two possibilities.

1. The cartridge could be a bootleg using a clean ROM dump of FireRed, but without the proper hardware for saving to function properly. Most bootlegs that actually work use SRAM for the save data (the type that needs a battery, which older Gen I and II cartridges used)... but in order for the game to know to use SRAM instead of Flash, the ROM needs to be patched. If it's a really cheap copy, then it's possible the pirates who made it just used a clean ROM.

2. The cartridge is legit, but the Flash memory area used to save (or the connection to it) has been damaged, rendering it invisible to the rest of the cartridge.
    Last edited by TM2-Megatron; 20th May 2010 at 08:35 PM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

...so in lamens terms, "I'm screwed"?

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Try cleaning the game cartridge. Also check to be sure it is not some cheap bootleg.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Game Maker View Post
    ...so in lamens terms, "I'm screwed"?
    Possibly... but as Gligar suggested, try cleaning every one of the cartridge's contacts (at least one of them is responsible for giving the GBA access to the save memory area. It's possible it could just be extremely dirty, or some corrosion is halting accesss to the save data.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

...well, I've checked and it's the real deal, no bootleg appearantly.

...any tips on cleaning? Q-tip, perhaps?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Game Maker View Post
    ...well, I've checked and it's the real deal, no bootleg appearantly.

...any tips on cleaning? Q-tip, perhaps?
    These instructions seem pretty sound:

http://gameboy.about.com/od/maintenancetechnology/ss/CleanCartridges.htm

I hope you get it working. It's a shame when a good GBA cartridge dies.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Thank you guys. And now that people have helped, I hope this helps some other chap out there with trouble.

...I just hope that chap doesn't have a serious technical problem...

RAWR Noob Trainer Warning OT Silver's Avatar

Default Fire Red question

First, I apologize if this is the wrong area for me to type this question. If it is, please just point me to the right direction. Any who, about a month ago my brother gave me his Fire Red game. Just recently, I popped it in my game boy and a message came up at the beginning. It said something like '1mb sub board not installed'. I did a little research online, and it said this occurs on a lot of FR emulators, but this message appeared on my actual cartridge game. From what I'm reading, it says this will only happen if the game is counterfeit. But as I remember it, we bought this and Leaf Green when they first came out, so I don't see how that's possible. Any idea as to why this would happen?
    Pokemon White FC - 3525 1755 2018

Pokemon Platinum FC - 5329 0449 9662

Blog Entries

Merged this with an existing topic on the same issue. I'll quote what I said earlier in the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
    1. The cartridge could be a bootleg using a clean ROM dump of FireRed, but without the proper hardware for saving to function properly. Most bootlegs that actually work use SRAM for the save data (the type that needs a battery, which older Gen I and II cartridges used)... but in order for the game to know to use SRAM instead of Flash, the ROM needs to be patched. If it's a really cheap copy, then it's possible the pirates who made it just used a clean ROM.

2. The cartridge is legit, but the Flash memory area used to save (or the connection to it) has been damaged, rendering it invisible to the rest of the cartridge.
    If you're absolutely sure your game is legit... you bought it from a reputable retail outlet back when the game launched... it's possible your problem is something like option #2. It could be some kind of damage to the internals of the cartridge, preventing the game from accessing its save area.

RAWR Noob Trainer Warning OT Silver's Avatar

Yes, I just read the links provided. The game cartridge looks to be in perfect shape, so I guess it's just from dust or slight damage internally. Thank you for your help :)
    Pokemon White FC - 3525 1755 2018

Pokemon Platinum FC - 5329 0449 9662