RULES: Signature Rule Update - Page 2
Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Signature Rule Update

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Signature Rule Update

Uhm, again, my signature is ok or there's somethin' to do with it?
    And guys, will you post an example image of an exceeding image in signature and that not, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is V4 going to have the ability resize sigs too? If so I wonder how it will work out.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

make it worse, you're good. Keldora, what do you mean by resize? If it allows a fixed-max-size sig we'll go with that.

We're still sorting the pixel limit a bit--apparently the calculation of a ten-line-of-text sig may be off. But for a definitive example, if your sig is bigger than this on your screen, it's not okay:

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

There ya go.
    (Obviously give or take a few pixels. But you get the idea.)
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by make_it_worse View Post
    Uhm, again, my signature is ok or there's somethin' to do with it?
    Your sig is 569 x 185 pixels, so it's larger than it should be. If you use the sigimgh (signature image maximum height) tags, it turns to 461x150px, which is still too large. sigimgw (signature image maximum width), however, makes it 400x130px, which works.

If V4 doesn't have the ability resize sigs, I'm pretty sure you (or whoever made your picture) do. It doesn't take a week to go into Photoshop, go to Image Size, then set the width to 400px (and make sure the proportions are constrained).

Quote Originally Posted by make_it_worse View Post
    And guys, will you post an example image of an exceeding image in signature and that not, thank you!
    Yours (too large):

With sigimgh tags (still too large):

With sigimgw tags (good):

In light of evkl's post:

10 lines is 156px. Even then:

Last edited by Kthleen; 26th May 2010 at 08:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kthleen, you're my hero. That's a great post.

Anyway, as I said--we aren't going to be going into our own image editing programs to zap you if you're at 161 pixels. But that's a good guideline. If you're clearly over it, we're going to be giving warnings starting a week from yesterday.

We don't want this to be draconian, but there are a number of factors in play right now that make us want to do this. First, images behind spoiler tags still load with the page, meaning the users we have on slow connections are getting slammed. Second, even on the newer, high-resolution browsers a handful of sigs take up nearly an entire screen. We wanna crack down on this and limit sigs to a much smaller portion of the screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evkl View Post
    Keldora, what do you mean by resize? If it allows a fixed-max-size sig we'll go with that.
    That's what I meant. I heard Archaic saying something about that sort of feature awhile ago. I could be wrong though.

May Still Have Hope TeamGalacticMercury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blazaking EX View Post
    Height = Length

I'm having problems understanding. Do you mean, 160x160 or 160 height and however long a standard box of text(the box that holds the text that you are reading now)? I'm lost. The reason I am asking is my banner fits nicely in that box, and really any smaller would blur the text inside my banner.

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

160 pixles Height.

May Still Have Hope TeamGalacticMercury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, is mine fine?

The One and Only Captain Falcon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Signature Rule Update

Quote Originally Posted by Blazaking EX View Post
    Yup. No more spoilers in signatures.
    That doesn't make much sense. The reason spoilers were used in many signatures was to allow for more freedom with image size without clogging up threads with extremely long signatures.

Basically,

seems better than

smaller image (400x160) outside of spoiler.

As for myself, since I don't have images in my signature, I can easily adapt, but it's going to be hard for other members.

There's also the issue of legibility. On a screen resolution of 800x600, 400x160 is half the width of the screen, while on a much larger resolution like 1920x1080, however, 400x160 isn't even a quarter of the screen's width. I got in trouble on another forum that used relative screen size rules (no more than a quarter of the screen in height), even though from my perspective I was way under, just because my system had a much higher resolution than the admin's. I'd say that once the forum's original signature rules are set, stick with those and don't change them.
    The one and only Captain Falcon!

Shoddy Battle Server: Online (advanced connect) (IP: 65.13.84.34 Port Number: 1234)
    My shoddy battle status: Offline (Username: 40KEndgame)

Groups:
    Earth Defense Coalition | The 41st Millennium
    Fanfictions:
    Pokemon: Infinite Universes: FireRed/LeafGreen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master Luxray View Post
    That doesn't make much sense. The reason spoilers were used in many signatures was to allow for more freedom with image size without clogging up threads with extremely long signatures.

Basically,

seems better than

smaller image (400x160) outside of spoiler.

As for myself, since I don't have images in my signature, I can easily adapt, but it's going to be hard for other members.

There's also the issue of legibility. On a screen resolution of 800x600, 400x160 is half the width of the screen, while on a much larger resolution like 1920x1080, however, 400x160 isn't even a quarter of the screen's width. I got in trouble on another forum that used relative screen size rules (no more than a quarter of the screen in height), even though from my perspective I was way under, just because my system had a much higher resolution than the admin's. I'd say that once the forum's original signature rules are set, stick with those and don't change them.
    It's not really an issue of common sense. The larger of a image you have and the more you have the longer it takes for the page to load. Plus spoilers also make signatures looks ugly.

Signatures were never meant to be big or hold very large images. Like I said, experiment with image editing software and make something work. You have 2 weeks.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

British Invasion $aturn¥oshi's Avatar Social Media Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow $aturn¥oshi On Twitter Add $aturn¥oshi on Facebook Add $aturn¥oshi on Google+
    Follow $aturn¥oshi on Tumblr Visit $aturn¥oshi's Youtube Channel

Images in a spoiler tag still have to load just as any other image outside one. Too many large images (even in spoilers) can cause lag for various users.

The One and Only Captain Falcon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool Re: Signature Rule Update

Quote Originally Posted by ιɴsσмɴιαc View Post
    It's not really an issue of common sense. The larger of a image you have and the more you have the longer it takes for the page to load. Plus spoilers also make signatures looks ugly.

Signatures were never meant to be big or hold very large images. Like I said, experiment with image editing software and make something work. You have 2 weeks.
    I just fixed mine. And I understand the loading time issues (I've had to fix them on websites in the past). But I also understand that some people (not me) don't have older computers and don't understand why the changes are required. I made my previous post so that the question could be addressed, and then to make a suggestion about the rules changes. The only reason I'm opposed is because others would have a hard time trying to understand why these changes are being implemented. Other than that, I completely agree with the new rules except for a few small details.
    The one and only Captain Falcon!

Shoddy Battle Server: Online (advanced connect) (IP: 65.13.84.34 Port Number: 1234)
    My shoddy battle status: Offline (Username: 40KEndgame)

Groups:
    Earth Defense Coalition | The 41st Millennium
    Fanfictions:
    Pokemon: Infinite Universes: FireRed/LeafGreen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

Is mine alright? Not sure how to measure exactly how large the signature is .__.

Someone tell me so I know whether or not to crop the Hazama banner/remove the text/ect.

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Once again, this is ten lines:
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

And it'll be ten lines for you whatever your display is. The reason we're doing this is because, first, the spoiler tag will need to be recoded when we upgrade to vB4. We don't want half the forum running around with broken signatures. Second, as has been said, pics in sig tags still load and can slow down our users on slower connections.

The only reason I'm opposed is because others would have a hard time trying to understand why these changes are being implemented. Other than that, I completely agree with the new rules except for a few small details.
    I think I addressed why in my posts throughout this thread--the spoiler tag will break when we go to vB4, sigs were never meant to be as big as they've become, it can lead to slow loading times, and it's unsightly. We're still catering to older computers because it's the lowest common denominator on the forums--we don't tweak everything for those with the highest-performing, newest systems.

Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast