Can you clear up Double Posting for me?

Thread: Can you clear up Double Posting for me?

Smile Can you clear up Double Posting for me?

I've read the rules posted about it, and they just aren't clear enough for me personally.
    In all the threads I've made, I've always made just one reply post and kept editing onto it with the responses from all later posters after that...I have one on a thread that's going on 15-20 quotes long, but I haven't seen any other people do this with their threads when they've posted responses, it seems they're always more than one of them individually and they're next to the original response and they're not multi-quoted.
    I had someone comment that in one of my topics the list of quotes I had was too long and they had trouble finding them.

I'm not completely clear on it, even after reading the rules, is what I'm trying to say, and I didn't want to risk violating the rules.

Edit: Is there anything else I should watch out for, in this category? Just, while I'm on the subject.
    Last edited by AntJR; 24th December 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Laziness is a virtue Iteru's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can you clear up Double Posting for me?

I think the best way to show you would be an example. If you're the last poster in a thread, and you make a new one without anyone posting since, that's a double post if it doesn't have the following in: an article, new information, fanwork updates or game updates.

So, let's say this is my post:

Leopard: "Hi!"

and then I make another one straight away:

Leopard: "How are you?"

That is a double post which violates the rules because it has no news in it and its something I could have easily put in the first post.

Now, let's change the situation.

AntJR: "Hi Leopard!"

Even though there is no news in my second post, it doesn't break the rule. This is because you were the last poster in the thread and not myself.

Hopefully that clears it up. If you like, I'll ask one of the other mods to help me demonstrate an example with actual posts.

Default Re: Can you clear up Double Posting for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopard View Post
    I think the best way to show you would be an example. If you're the last poster in a thread, and you make a new one without anyone posting since, that's a double post if it doesn't have the following in: an article, new information, fanwork updates or game updates.

So, let's say this is my post:

and then I make another one straight away:

That is a double post which violates the rules because it has no news in it and its something I could have easily put in the first post.

Now, let's change the situation.

AntJR: "Hi Leopard!"

Even though there is no news in my second post, it doesn't break the rule. This is because you were the last poster in the thread and not myself.

Hopefully that clears it up. If you like, I'll ask one of the other mods to help me demonstrate an example with actual posts.
    Ahh, ok that makes sense, something I wasnt sure about was that if you posted something in a thread of your own it would also "bump" it up to the first page, and the rules mentioned that, it made me a little hesitant to do that :)
    Some examples of actual posts would be cool too, but I don't absolutely have them at this point, thanks :)
    Last edited by AntJR; 24th December 2012 at 05:55 AM.