Wikipedia's new "pending changes" feature

View Poll Results: Should this feature appear on Bulbapedia?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 64.10%
  • No

14 35.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wikipedia's new "pending changes" feature

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Wikipedia's new "pending changes" feature

Wikipedia is currently running a trial of a new MediaWiki feature called the "pending changes" feature.

What this feature does is allow potential edits to be submitted by regular users on protected pages. These edits will not be immediately applied, and will require an admin to approve.

Here is a link to the description of the feature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Pending_changes

I believe this feature would be a good one to have on Bulbapedia, as it would mean that pages which would potentially have a lot of speculation on them would not have to be fully protected.

Of course, if this would cause too much spam, then it's a no-go, but I was just wondering whether the concept seems good.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Wikipedia's new "pending changes" feature

For protected pages? I'm all for it.

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

MediaWiki's wiki has been using it for a LONG time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by immewnity View Post
    MediaWiki's wiki has been using it for a LONG time.
    According to Wikipedia, they're just rolling it out.

Although that's Wikipedia, not the MediaWiki software in general...
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    According to Wikipedia, they're just rolling it out.

Although that's Wikipedia, not the MediaWiki software in general...
    MediaWiki's wiki = this. Not Wikipedia.

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Sphere Hunter Kogoro's Avatar Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I hate to sound crude, but is it so hard to submit an edit request on the talk page? It seems like an extremely pointless feature, that is more open to blatant abuse than the "old way" of doing things for protected pages.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kogoro View Post
    I hate to sound crude, but is it so hard to submit an edit request on the talk page? It seems like an extremely pointless feature, that is more open to blatant abuse than the "old way" of doing things for protected pages.
    I believe some edit requests are neglected just because no one happens to read their talk pages. Can't name a single incident but I remember this happening before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateSephiroth View Post
    I believe some edit requests are neglected just because no one happens to read their talk pages. Can't name a single incident but I remember this happening before.
    Also, some edits are hard to describe. If you're planning on majorly revamping a page (like I did with the Damage formula page), it can be hell to read exactly what the person's going to edit.

*edit* BTW, I have an incident for you that still hasn't been resolved after about a month and a half. The link on the main Black and White article to the official site currently directs to http://www.pokemon.co.jp/bw/ when the actual page (which now redirects anyway, but it's inefficient) is http://www.pokemon-sp.jp/series/bw/.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 31st July 2010 at 02:44 PM.

Blog Entries

I like this.

Blog Entries

Since so many people are saying whether they like it or not, I put a poll up. Put your opinions there, too.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I don't think so. I bet you only 1% of these edits will actually be useful to the article, and it's totally opening the door for vandalism. They'll have a hay day creating all these logs for the admins to look at. It's a waste of time for those looking for that rare useful edit, when that time can be better spent elsewhere. I don't see what's wrong with going on the talk page, and if it really does get neglected, there's nothing stopping them from bringing up the topic again on the talk page. There's also the userspace for anyone who wants to create a mock-up or overhaul an article. Just because things work on Wikipedia, doesn't mean it'll work here.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

There's also the ability to, you know, tell us on our talk pages. Which I get enough of.

Edit requests on article talk pages will often go ignored for months.

Pokémon White

It's a good feature. I was wanting to edit the Legendary Pokemon page for several months but couldn't because it was locked for a major overhaul, and my comments on the talk page went unanswered during the duration of that time. It's be immensely useful for similar situations on locked pages.
    - RAGECANDYBAR: The PokéGods: Secrets and Rumors Revealed

(Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

Nemo me impune lacessit Dialgarules's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jello View Post
    ...It's a waste of time for those looking for that rare useful edit, when that time can be better spent elsewhere...
    Actually, I am mainly on Wikipedia now, and am a Reviewer (i.e. I review pending changes). It's not a waste of time; in fact I would say the ratio is about 50:50 to 40:60 for good to bad edits on a PC-protected page. Now, on Wikipedia, there is level 1 pending changes protection and level 2 pending changes protection. Only the level 1 protection is in use right now in a two month trial which I ends sometime in August. Level 1 protection puts the anonymous (IP) users through review, and autoconfirmed users' edits are visible immediately (or "automatically accepted"). Obviously this would be of no use to Bulbapedia, which prevents IP users from editing at all, and "questionable" additions are mainly a problem from autoconfirmed users.

Level 2 pending changes protection still allows anyone to edit, but only Administrators' and Reviewers' edits are automatically accepted. I am against this on Wikipedia because it would indeed cause yet another Wikipedia backlog. However, this could be a very useful alternative on Bulbapedia in place of full-protecting everything. The levels are basically an analogy to semi-protection and full-protection, however they still allow unconfirmed users to add content directly, while still having precautions against questionable, libelous, BLP vio, and other prohibited edits.

In conclusion, at least on Wikipedia, there is not a "rare useful edit", because many IP contributions can be very productive. I think it's a lot better than traditional protection also.

My username on Wikipedia is different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Brandon5485 You can verify my status as a Reviewer at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AListUsers&username=Brandon5485&group=&limit=1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast