When Does Bulbapedia Get Updated?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Spriteit

Thread: When Does Bulbapedia Get Updated?

Default When Does Bulbapedia Get Updated?

It's been three days if you consider that many people were able to download X and Y on the night of the 11th. When does Bulbapedia get updated? Not even the starter's pages are completed, not even the Pokedex number or regional Pokedex is recorded... Is there a reason this is taking so long? Some people have long beaten the game. I asked in the Rumours thread why we don't just add the leaked Pokemon now to save time and I was answered with: "It's unprofessional to add "un-confirmed" things to bulbapedia, even if it is basically confirmed." So now that we have the games, answer me this, why aren't we adding the information from the new games to Bulbapedia?
    Current Y Team:

Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

Default Re: When Does Bulbapedia Get Updated?

I think a lot of it is coming from that we have no official artwork for a quarter of the Pokemon. Though I still wonder why they haven't updated the artwork for Chesnaught, Delphox, and Greninja, and are still using Coro Coro scans.

Just saying, in Santalune City I found a Super Potion up the stairs by the cafe with apparently no door, with a bunch of empty tables. It was in the plant box things. It's not listed on Bulbapedia.
    Current Y Team:

Bulbapædist Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff

Quote Originally Posted by EmpoleonProd View Post
    It's been three days if you consider that many people were able to download X and Y on the night of the 11th. When does Bulbapedia get updated? Not even the starter's pages are completed, not even the Pokedex number or regional Pokedex is recorded... Is there a reason this is taking so long? Some people have long beaten the game. I asked in the Rumours thread why we don't just add the leaked Pokemon now to save time and I was answered with: "It's unprofessional to add "un-confirmed" things to bulbapedia, even if it is basically confirmed." So now that we have the games, answer me this, why aren't we adding the information from the new games to Bulbapedia?
    It's been three days and less then fifty people have access to editing the Wiki, not only are everyone who does so volunteers, we have our own lives, including work, school. Some of us have high ranking jobs, some are university or high school students in the middle of exams or preparing final thesis's, others have kids to worry about. People that have the game play it when they can, and they don't have to speed through the game just to get information up on the wiki. We are doing the best we can.

Leak information was not added as during the events of the previous generation several websites were hit with Cease and Desist orders from Nintendo, as was seen also this year when several people got the games over two weeks early and Nintendo forced them to remove the information they had posted. We were never going to post leaked information, and half the staff members didn't even want to look at leaks so as not to spoil the games themselves. If you checked the recent changes you would see that staff have in fact been working on what they can including making pages, creating new templates and updating old ones, all of which takes time.

As for why the wiki is still locked, we are currently experiencing more traffic then we ever had before, we had to lock the editing not only to stop leaked information from being added, but to stop the wiki imploding on itself due to the sheer amount of people who would try to edit the website at once. The servers that host the website would crash and then no one would be able to access Bulbapedia. Another issue is that where as previously we've been able to grab the data off the games, Nintendo has strong encryptions on 3DS games, it hasn't been broken yet, we can't extract encounter lists for locations, or learn set data for Pokemon, or at this stage even images. The technology to record images from the games is quite expensive to, as in over $500 expensive, no staff member has the money for that.

As for the artwork, they were updated, two days ago in fact, you need to F5 your browser to refresh the image as it's calling the old one. WE do have an Edit Request thred stuck to the top of the section if you have any new information that you found in the game yourself.

Some people are not all people, you are in the minority in this case. Just because you have finished the game doesn't mean anyone else has, and I'm pretty sure not even a single staff member has made their way through the entire game. We are adding information both as we find it, and as we are available to. The wiki will open back up as soon as we are able to. We are real people, with real lives, and we are volunteers to the website. We do what we can.

Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

I've pressed F5, still getting this artwork (from the scan)

instead of this (albeit clearer and no background, like the other official art pictures)

Canadian Sweetheart Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    I've pressed F5, still getting this artwork (from the scan)

instead of this (albeit clearer and no background, like the other official art pictures)
    That's because the new version hasn't been uploaded to the archives yet. Someone should be updating them shortly.

My apologies I was under the impression they had been updated.

Hi guys! This is my first post, so don't bite :P

I'm a software engineer/web developer who's done a lot of stuff with wikis/CMSs/blog platforms, so I really couldn't understand why Bulbapedia would be locked while a small staff of people "confirmed data". I mean, that's not the point of a wiki, right? A wiki is designed to speed up content generation by moving the task to the masses.

But this made me completely understand your dilemma:

Quote Originally Posted by Spriteit View Post
    Leak information was not added as during the events of the previous generation several websites were hit with Cease and Desist orders from Nintendo
    So now I'm wondering: Is there anything I can do to help?
    Like I said, I'm a software guy, so I know my way around servers, web apps, scripts, etc. I know the MediaWiki API pretty well, too. So feel free to reach out to me if there's a process that's really time-consuming, or if there's anything else you think I can do. I don't know what kind of talent you already have working on this, but I figured I'd offer just in case :)

The main issue isn't 'confirming' data, although it is something we like to do, and it stops users plagiarising information and pictures from other websites. The issue mainly resolves around the server load that the sheer amount of users trying to edit the website would cause. I'm not to knowledgeable about it, but yeah, lots of edits mean a slowed down website to the point of bringing it down just because of the sheer amount of people trying to edit. During this time we also modify a lot of the templates which are widely used on the pedia, and that's best to do when the server isn't as busy. This has been offset this generation by doing some major updates and creating completely new templates. For more information you'd have to talk to other staff, I'll point some of them here who might be able to give you an idea if you can help.

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Just a quick correction there Spriteit. While server load was a significant issue in the past, it's no longer a concern. Right now, the bigger concern is that it's incredibly difficult for us to do effective moderation of wiki content in the period immediately after a launch. In part because all the staff are too busy playing the games so that we can confirm content. We know from long and painful experience that it'll take us longer to sort things out from both
    a) Updates that were well intentioned, but factually incorrect
    and
    b) Outright trolling by people adding plausible but false information to pages
    than it would for us to just be careful at the beginning and make sure we give everyone a strong base of confirmed information to start making contributions from.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Dear all,

I have a question concerning the artwork and I saw that the topic was brought up here. Why is it that some Pokémon have official artwork in really high resolution (for example Chespin, http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/c/ca/650Chespin.png), while others have much smaller pictures (like Doublade, http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/e/ef/680Doublade.png)? What is the cause of this difference? Will all Pokémon eventually have high resolution pictures?
    Thank you!

Dear all,

I have a question about the artwork and I saw that the topic was brought up here. Some Pokémon have artwork of really high resolution (for example, Chespin: http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/c/ca/650Chespin.png), while others have pictures of lesser quality (like Doublade: http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/e/ef/680Doublade.png). What is the cause of this difference? Will all Pokémon eventually have such high resolution pictures?
    Thank you!

I guess I just don't understand why you're taking the burden upon yourselves. I think you've got lots of people out there who want to contribute to that data, and I can't imagine that they are outnumbered by those that want to do ill (or who just don't know what they're doing).

But obviously you have lots of experience here, and it sounds like you've been burned in the past. So while I might disagree with your logic, I understand there's probably more to it.

At any rate, the offer still stands. If there's anything I can do script-wise, let me know.