Welcoming users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Welcoming users

  1. #1
    #winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Posts
    2,232
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Welcoming users

    Can we, like, do it?

    Welcome messages are a critical part of building the community and creating a friendly and helpful atmosphere. For whatever reason, most of you seem completely uninterested in taking three seconds to put "{{subst:welcome}}" on a new user's Talk Page when he or she registers. Especially you, administrators. I'm talking to you.

    I hope I don't need to go into a whole speech about how important welcome messages are to the wiki. I don't know if you guys buy it, but I hope you do. What I do know is that every time I log on, there are ~15 users who have recently registered with blank Talk Pages. Unacceptable. I generally end up spending time I could otherwise devote to a long list of projects welcoming users. And regardless... users should be welcomed as soon as they register anyway. It gives the impression of a smoothly run wiki that's concerned about its users. A welcome message a minute after you register says "We want you here." A welcome message twenty minutes later doesn't, if the person is even still online.

    So could we please try to work on this? It's been going on for a few months now. Welcoming users used to be exciting. I don't know what happened to that.

  2. #2
    Moderator Maverick Nate's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ecruteak
    Posts
    928

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    Quote Originally Posted by Politoed666 View Post
    I generally end up spending time I could otherwise devote to a long list of projects welcoming users.
    This is typically why. The administrators typically are the people doing important lengthy projects. I personally don't want to waste my time welcoming users who most of the time don't edit, when I could be spending my time doing something for the mainspace. That's why the Archives rule on welcoming is the way it is.

    And also, don't get pissed off and ranty because you're helping. It makes it seem like you don't want to be the one doing it either. And why should we listen to someone about welcoming users when they seem like they don't want to do it themselves? Just my thought.

    It's going to be based on everyone's personal views. I personally care more about the mainspace and getting stuff done, and would be just as happy if Bulbabot did the welcoming while rotating one of the administrators signatures every day in its edits. Other people undoubtedly feel the same way about editing the information in the mainspace: the stuff that matters and what people come here to see.

  3. #3
    is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,658
    Blog Entries
    108

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    So, can regular users welcome new registrants too?

    Because I did on one occasion.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

  4. #4
    Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kanto
    Posts
    4,275
    Blog Entries
    194

    Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    The few times I get on to do stuff, I will normally go through the list. Sometimes there's only a few, other times there will be many. I'll start doing this every day if needed.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    71
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    I used to do it a lot before, but I backed off because I didn't want to look like a hog in welcoming users, and I also didn't want the welcoming edits to make up a bulk of my activity.

    Now, I usually wait until the user has edited at least once, especially with what is happening with all the spambots suddenly appearing.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    71
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    So, can regular users welcome new registrants too?

    Because I did on one occasion.
    Yes, all users can welcome.

  7. #7
    Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    22,043
    Blog Entries
    199
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    I personally welcome some, maybe i should welcome more. I feel good doing so.

  8. #8
    Stumped Turtwig A's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,972
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    I welcomed during my Bulbapedia time. Maybe I should come back, if only for welcoming the new users.

    (20:56:57) Luxis: All y'all are a bunch of Silly heads.
    RIP Giruja. Why must you have been fake?


    (17:58:01) daytwon: why am i watchin ot turtwig
    (17:58:03) ±Dratini: daytwon was muted by Heather Star for 30 minutes! [Reason: inappropriate] [Channel: Trivia]

    [15:26] Synthesis: he ain't godkilled
    [15:27] Ebail: Zam was Syn
    [15:27] Synthesis: it was an agreed sacrifice to the gods

  9. #9
    #1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lost in Pennsylvania...
    Posts
    5,396
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    any user can welcome any user. it is highly encouraged.
    now, while Nate does point out a decent point in saying that admins are generally doing more important things, i wouldnt go as far as to say the staff shouldnt (not implying you said this Nate, just putting my thoughts on it). while it is annoying that weve had a recent wave of spambots, talk pages can be deleted upon realization of said bot.

  10. #10
    #winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Posts
    2,232
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Nate View Post
    This is typically why. The administrators typically are the people doing important lengthy projects. I personally don't want to waste my time welcoming users who most of the time don't edit, when I could be spending my time doing something for the mainspace. That's why the Archives rule on welcoming is the way it is.

    And also, don't get pissed off and ranty because you're helping. It makes it seem like you don't want to be the one doing it either. And why should we listen to someone about welcoming users when they seem like they don't want to do it themselves? Just my thought.

    It's going to be based on everyone's personal views. I personally care more about the mainspace and getting stuff done, and would be just as happy if Bulbabot did the welcoming while rotating one of the administrators signatures every day in its edits. Other people undoubtedly feel the same way about editing the information in the mainspace: the stuff that matters and what people come here to see.
    1. I suppose I respect your opinion that it's a waste of time, although I disagree. I think if it were a waste of time we wouldn't have spent so much time developing and refining a stellar welcome message.

    2. Sorry I came off as pissed and ranty. But no, I don't want to do it. I don't mind doing it if I glance at the RC and see that someone has registered... but it gets irritating when I get on and see that no one's welcomed the past twenty users, so I have to do ALL of it. I have better things to do. If everyone just chipped in and welcomed users as they registered, no one would be out of a significant chunk of time.

    3. The BulbaBot idea is a good one... has that been brought forth before? Thoughts on that?

    And yes. Normal users can welcome users. It's strongly encouraged.

  11. #11
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Interwebz
    Posts
    1,503
    Blog Entries
    161

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    Quote Originally Posted by Politoed666 View Post
    The BulbaBot idea is a good one... has that been brought forth before? Thoughts on that?
    It has, but was denied because some felt that the welcome wasn't sincere.

  12. #12
    Moderator Maverick Nate's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ecruteak
    Posts
    928

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    Quote Originally Posted by immewnity View Post
    It has, but was denied because some felt that the welcome wasn't sincere.
    That was bulbabot signing bulbabot's name. Not bulbabot signing someone else's name

  13. #13
    #1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lost in Pennsylvania...
    Posts
    5,396
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    we would Botty go signing other peoples names? thats more insincere than using its own name. if anything, it would be signed by "the staff" (with a link to the staff page).

  14. #14
    Moderator Maverick Nate's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ecruteak
    Posts
    928

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    Quote Originally Posted by MAGNEDETH View Post
    we would Botty go signing other peoples names? thats more insincere than using its own name. if anything, it would be signed by "the staff" (with a link to the staff page).
    I thought of it more as a personal admin that each person could go to if they want, while also freeing up the admin's time to do more important things.

    It's comparable to the president sending out letters to people all over the country, or E Gorden Gee sending out e-mails to all 50,000 students.

  15. #15
    Registered User Pokomum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    97
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Welcoming users

    I am a complete new member, not just to this forum, I have never been a member of any forum before joining here. My hubby even deals with my business facebook

    Thought it may be useful to contribute here.

    I am aware that everyone here at sometime, was new. How important to you were your welcomes? For me I think I got about 18. Which was really nice. But I was in and out like a yo yo checking. A few of them were from moderators. It did make me feel as though I was actually welcome here. It still took me a bit to put in my first friend request. Whilst still learning forum ettiquette I am getting there. In normal business life I have to be outgoing and outspoken but without those welcomes I would most likely have bailed, as being quite shy comes more naturally the minute I walk away from work.
    Even hello's from other newcomers would have been lovely because straight away I would have had something in common with that person...They were new too .

    So far I haven't welcomed anyone because, being so new, I felt that it would have been too presumptious. Although I would be happy too whenever I'm signed in.
    HG FC: 5027 9550 8649
    White FC: 0733 3989 5528

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •