BULBANEWS: A Weekly Real-Life News Update

Thread: A Weekly Real-Life News Update

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default A Weekly Real-Life News Update

In light of the Japanese earthquake article, I thought that perhaps we should branch out a little in terms of news. I offered to aggregate a bunch of links to major world news stories once a week for Bulbanews readers' consumption. Is this a feature users would appreciate?

evkl
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Moderator Maverick Nate's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator

Default Re: A Weekly Real-Life News Update

What sort of real life events would be notable? I would rather keep Bulbagarden my Pokémon news site, since there are enough other places to get my real life news.

Blog Entries

It'd be a list of the top stories of the week--so, a link to a story or two each about what's driving news in America, Europe, Japan, and the rest of the world. It wouldn't be designed to supplant anyone's daily news consumption, just keep them up-to-date on the big issues if they missed something because they were too busy, say, playing Black and White.
    Last edited by evkl; 12th March 2011 at 01:50 PM.

Moderator Maverick Nate's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator

I'm already getting TCG news stories pushed off the top stories within the day. I'm not about to let non Pokémon news doing it too. I find it unnecessary. We're a Pokémon news site, and we already have a hard enough time devoting time to get the news stories relevant to us out.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I agree with Nate there, non-Pokémon related news just seems out of the scope of Bulbanews, and we shouldn't try to be something we're not. The earthquake report was related to Pokémon in some way, so it was reported.

Blog Entries

maybe a sticky in the "real life" forums would be better but yeah i log into a pokemon site for pokemon stuff & when i click on pokemon news i expect to see stuff about pokemon

i watch the news when i get up then listen to it in the car driving to work then all day on the radio in work then watch it again when i get in - pokemon is escapism for me & real news on here would take away from that
    yo son

facebook lastfm twitter ytmnd

also, 3DS FC: 3153-3959-7484

Keep Moving Forward MasterKenobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Evkl, I really think news round up would be a way to go eventually but stay with the Pokemon news-theme.

I think any Pokemon news, for exampe in Japan including any GameFreak Staff, Pokemon Sunday, Pokemon Centres and things of that nature should be covered. I have no idea where PUSA is located, but if anything ever happened in their area that would be good to know as well.

So in short: Stick with what we have, but add on to the Pokemon news that we have. Do NOT go worldwide unless it is completely Pokemon related. We don't want to turn into a certain website reporting everything.
    Last edited by MasterKenobi; 12th March 2011 at 02:54 PM.

Done by the amazing Blazaking! ^^

I can breathe in space. Masatoshi's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff

I honestly disagree with the idea, we don't need to be a CNN/NYT/EFE/Reuters for everyone, we don't really need it; when one goes to Bulbanews, it's normally because of Pokémon news; why would I want to read about something completely unrelated in a Pokémon site I usually frequent? Not to mention that making the news articles is a bit hard to draft, polish and publish, I don't want to wonder how it would be with everyone working 24/7 to post news we could read in another news enterprise.

Blog Entries

I would be the only person doing the aggregation of world news, and it would be posted once a week in one collected article.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

I think something in the fashion of the News of the Day could work. But I'd rather not use Bulbanews for it, really.

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I'd have to agree here. I feel it would be catering for an audience we don't have, and aren't likely to get. Bulbanews is for Pokemon news. People that want real-world news will go to a real-world news site.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.