Virus? - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus?

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

Default Re: Virus? (Updated with Another Virus)

Quote Originally Posted by evkl View Post
    I think people will find that compared to the time it takes for Serebii to load, logging in to Bulbagarden won't be much of a wait.
    I was going to mention that, but I decided against it, in case it was considered trolling.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

And so everyone condemns someone for offering a solution. Sometimes sacrifices must be made, even if it means taking down the site temporarily. Can you people just put aside your petty differences and talk things out while you try and figure out how to solve this problem? Even if it's bad advice, ignore it in that case and continue focusing on the problem. Stop fighting.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Here's the catch: We've received a couple of reports of a potential virus in one of our ads. We don't know for sure if it's one of our ads. We don't know for sure if the issue is in fact a virus or just a cookie that's freaking out a virus scanner. And for the time being, we don't think we're exposing anyone to significant risk by leaving the site up. As we said, you can take a number of precautions against viruses generally (use antivirus software) and a potential threat in this situation (log into Bulbapedia.)

As a practical matter, we can't and won't take down the site every time someone says they have a virus and it might be from Bulbapedia. Look at the way this thread started--someone had a cache issue that wasn't a virus at all. It'd be irresponsible of us to shut down the site at every virus report--nevermind the fact that such a policy would, I'm sure, have Joe posting over here much more often.

As Archaic mentioned, we are aggressively looking into the report and will take appropriate action if we determine such action is necessary. We will keep everyone updated as the situation progresses.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Pokemon Coordinator Dawn~Berlitz's Avatar

the simple solution is to use firefox and avast along with a good firewall avg is just pure crap and avira has failed to protect attacks from some things while avast will atch any viruses in ads and automatically block them
    <---Done by Katsu Koneko its cute siggeh
    If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature!

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

well, the simple solution would be to sign in.

I think people will find that compared to the time it takes for Serebii to load, logging in to Bulbagarden won't be much of a wait.
    Forums perhaps. Site? No. The actual site is super fast and that's what people come for so stop trying to troll me. You're breaking your own rules here

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Sacrifices like shutting down the site, Joe? Or become 503garden again?

Neither of these are serious possibilities. Don't act like they are, and don't pretend to be helping when you make it look to our members like there are easy solutions which we refuse to use.
    Here's the catch: We've received a couple of reports of a potential virus in one of our ads. We don't know for sure if it's one of our ads. We don't know for sure if the issue is in fact a virus or just a cookie that's freaking out a virus scanner. And for the time being, we don't think we're exposing anyone to significant risk by leaving the site up. As we said, you can take a number of precautions against viruses generally (use antivirus software) and a potential threat in this situation (log into Bulbapedia.)

As a practical matter, we can't and won't take down the site every time someone says they have a virus and it might be from Bulbapedia. Look at the way this thread started--someone had a cache issue that wasn't a virus at all. It'd be irresponsible of us to shut down the site at every virus report--nevermind the fact that such a policy would, I'm sure, have Joe posting over here much more often.

As Archaic mentioned, we are aggressively looking into the report and will take appropriate action if we determine such action is necessary. We will keep everyone updated as the situation progresses.
    Where did I say "shut down the site"? Where on earth did you derive that meaning from. Stop trying to change my words in order to make me look like a jackass. All I said was to take down those ads and potentially replace them with something such as google ads. While the revenue will be lower, it lessens the hole caused by the removal of the ads, it will allow you to investigate fully.

All I'm saying that it's irresponsible to ignore numerous reports of there being viruses and just have someone "look into it". I know what that means. When others tell me that, they typically never get back to me. Quite often, they just say it to get rid of you

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    Joe, when a person goes into public and offers their "wisdom" to a group that has been identified as their rivals and is now in a bit of a situation, it's called ego-stroking. If you really are serious about helping, then get on a chat with Archaic and bounce ideas off each other. Otherwise, all this is amounting to is a not-so-subtle, "Oh, what a shame Bulbagarden that you got a virus. So great that my site doesn't have that problem."
    My site has had virus problems before and I dealt with it immediately. If it was through ads, I'd take down the ads, but it wasn't. All I'm doing here is providing my experience and expertise to a friend. Just because of the past, you make it out to be something so evil, but it's not.

This thread has turned into the classic "Joe posted. Lets twist his words and make him look like a twat" thread which used to be posted here. I thought you guys had matured. Guess I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ADMINISTRATOR EDIT
    ADMINISTRATOR NOTE

There have not been numerous reports, despite Joe's claim. What we have had a bare handful of report of a possible link between bulbapedia ads and one virus. We are investigating, as is proper, and will take the necessary measures.

As for Joe, given his insistence on spreading this version, as well as his refusal to abide by my earlier request, he has been infracted according to the guideline in that earlier post. This has resulted, without going in details that are Joe's business, in the usual temporary ban from accumulation of infraction.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 9th December 2010 at 05:16 PM.
    I own Serebii.net and Serebii Forums, naturally.

Serebii's signature, now un-censored.

Blog Entries
    Follow Noivern On Twitter

This ad-virus? Wait, why am I not getting this despite I'm logged out? Does it appear in specific pages? Was the ad kicked away or something? Or does the ad only appear to certain people based on country?

(Sorry if I'm not supposed to post this.)
    Hey, it's Noivern here. I like Noivern a lot. I like Katy Perry. I want a Hydreigon plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
    Links

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Dear posters,

This is not a place to fight over whose site is faster, better, harder, or stronger. If you really want to do that, go hire a billboard or something.

Love, trom.

Quote Originally Posted by Reshriam View Post
    This ad-virus? Wait, why am I not getting this despite I'm logged out? Does it appear in specific pages? Was the ad kicked away or something? Or does the ad only appear to certain people based on country?

(Sorry if I'm not supposed to post this.)
    It varies. It's not in every ad but in any ad
    I own Serebii.net and Serebii Forums, naturally.

Serebii's signature, now un-censored.

Blog Entries
    Follow Noivern On Twitter

By the way, has anyone screencapped a shot of (the) offending ad(s)?
    Hey, it's Noivern here. I like Noivern a lot. I like Katy Perry. I want a Hydreigon plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
    Links

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

We don't know which ad it is, or even that it is an ad. We are just assuming it is one because that it the most likely possibility.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

If someone doesn't want to sign up, they could always get Adblock Plus for Firefox. I never log out anyway, so for those who have signed up, make sure you stay logged in forever. Always have your anti-virus up to date. Malwarebytes is a godsend to have.

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

If you don't mind me putting in two things

1. While not being on anyone's side in the Joe/Serebii VS Liam/Archiac, I think it is a bit unfair to bully Joe just because he's making a few suggestions, however I think he should butt out a bit.

2. (About the Topic) I have a suggestion. Switch Ad Servers until the problem is solved, then switch back, or perhaps move servers to a different region or have a different host server. Or, if worst comes to worst, use Webstarts :(
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

*hops in*
    Also keep your Adobe Acrobat and Flash always up to date. Better yet, uninstall the Acrobat and get an alternative, that's how most viruses hit these days.

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

Vundo's malware. Install CCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your computers and run them once every few days until the issue is resolved. Don't anyone jump to such drastic measures as not going on Bulbagarden. :P

EDIT: I've been fishing around tech support forums) and in threads where people have posted the entirety of their malware scan results, an ads.bulbagarden cookie has popped up once or twice; not that it's conclusive proof that there's a problem with Bulbagarden's ads. Just poking around and hoping to help in any manner I can.

EDIT 2: Stop knocking your e-penis about up there. No need to fight publicly, doesn't give the best impression to bmgf or serebii members of our beloved staff. Quit trolling each other and focus on the issue at hand. :P
    Last edited by Frenzy Plant; 9th December 2010 at 02:14 PM.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 17th July 2011, 11:46 AM