Virus? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus?

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Virus?

Were you logged in at the time? It could have been caused by an ad.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Pokémon Wikipedia. Oh I love how they call us that.

As for trojans, they should be reported in the bad ad thread. Ad companies will do anything for revenue, apparently.

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Don't worry, I already fixed the TV Tropes article. However, I'm not really sure why the notice is there; it's not overly relevant to their article, but that's more of TV Tropes' problem than our's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    Pokémon Wikipedia. Oh I love how they call us that.
    It's a little less insulting then when I see them referring to this place as the Pokemon Wikia.

Don't worry, I already fixed the TV Tropes article. However, I'm not really sure why the notice is there; it's not overly relevant to their article, but that's more of TV Tropes' problem than our's.
    I think its just a public service announcement in that the article itself has a lot of links to Bulbapedia.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Either way it's an issue that's causing our reputation to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    Well, TVTropes has a big massive warning on its Pokemon page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlei015gc004kw4?from=Main.Pokemon

I've visited the site a few times within the last two days, nothing happened to me though.
    It has been a not uncommon occurance that trojans piggyback off of the ads that are on the sites here. If you get the specific ads, you get the virus. However, the ads are random
    I own Serebii.net and Serebii Forums, naturally.

Serebii's signature, now un-censored.

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Our ad networks have been notified and are busy hunting down the virus. If they can't find it soon, they've been given notice that they'll be dumped and we'll move to another ad network.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, there is more to the internet than Bulbagarden.
    Tell me more, wise one.

Blog Entries

I was thinking of making a new thread but this one works just as well.

I was gone for a day or so because my computer got ANOTHER virus from Bulbapedia. This time, it was a fake security system and it took a day to get rid of it.

I'd appreciate it if you tried to get rid of the virus so that other people don't have the problems that I do but I'm afraid that bulbapedia isn't safe for my computer anymore.

Am I the only person having this problem??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Virus? (Updated with Another Virus)

If there's a virus in our ads, then the best way to avoid it is to log in, as we don't have ads for logged in members.

We have notified our ad networks, and they are doing all they can to track this down, but it's not something Bulbagarden has any direct control over other than to perhaps dump this ad network.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    If there's a virus in our ads, then the best way to avoid it is to log in, as we don't have ads for logged in members.

We have notified our ad networks, and they are doing all they can to track this down, but it's not something Bulbagarden has any direct control over other than to perhaps dump this ad network.
    Personally, I would have done that the first time this happened. Not the tenth :/

Blog Entries

Dumping the ad network? Now that's just unreasonable Joe. We notified them after the first event, but you can't expect an instant solution to something like this. There's a constant arms race between virus writers and those in anti-virus security. This is no different. If one ad network has had its security compromised, likely all have been.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I was thinking of making a new thread but this one works just as well.

I was gone for a day or so because my computer got ANOTHER virus from Bulbapedia. This time, it was a fake security system and it took a day to get rid of it.

I'd appreciate it if you tried to get rid of the virus so that other people don't have the problems that I do but I'm afraid that bulbapedia isn't safe for my computer anymore.

YES. YES. YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

I had to reinstall my OS because of this. Lost about 118 GB of data.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

My sister had one of these on her laptop. I'm 99% sure she did not get it from Bulbapedia. It came up saying the computer had been infiltrated by a person using IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (which I later discovered actually belonged to NASA).

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    Dumping the ad network? Now that's just unreasonable Joe. We notified them after the first event, but you can't expect an instant solution to something like this. There's a constant arms race between virus writers and those in anti-virus security. This is no different. If one ad network has had its security compromised, likely all have been.
    It's not that unreasonable Liam. A good ad agency makes sure the ads don't happen. I have received no ads piggybacking off of the Google ads on my site. The time the site got hit with a virus was due to an attack which caused one to get embedded in my router which managed to get the encrypted FTP details and fed them to a script which injected a line of code into index.shtml and other related pages.

Telling people to log in so they don't get it is somewhat irresponsible Liam. If a virus was piggybacking off of ads onto my site, the first thing I'd do is remove the ads, even if it's being investigated, so that there is no risk of infection at all. You know as well as I do that the vast majority of the visitors to both of our sites don't log in so that's not a viable response to this issue. Yes, it'll cut money in the shortterm, but in the longterm it protects people and the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 17th July 2011, 11:46 AM