Tildes

Thread: Tildes

hi

Default Tildes

What are tildes? Why do I have to sign them to a picture? And how do I do that any ways?
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tildes

This is a tilde ~, and four of them is the wikicode for a signature: ~~~~. On the wiki, whenever you leave a comment on a talk page, it's considered proper to leave your signature with four tildes (that also leaves a timestamp.)
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

BP Appearance Coordinator Jioruji Derako's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff

to add onto evkl's explaination;

The tilde (~) key is located on the top-left of all standard keyboards, prior to the 1 key.

If for some reason you don't have access to the tilde on your keyboard, the editing toolbar you see while making edits to any page on the wiki includes a signature button , which will automatically insert four tildes ~~~~ when you click it.

Without a signature, there is no simple way for anyone to tell who said what on a discussion page; you'd need to look through the page's history to see where the comment came from. This is why it is common courtesy to sign your comments; if left unsigned, someone else will need to go through and mark your comments for you, which can be a tedious job.
    Geo - a.k.a. Jioruji Derako

deviantARTistBulbapedian

hi

Okay, so, this one guy says I should sign every picture I upload and this other guy says I shouldn't.
    What's the deal?
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

You appear to have confused a couple of things.

1) Categorise your images using, e.g. [[Category:Charmander]]
    2) Sign your messages on talk pages using ~~~~