Sugimori art redlinks

Thread: Sugimori art redlinks

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Sugimori art redlinks

Right now, Bulbanews has three high-traffic articles that look utterly broken. These are the articles on Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect.

Why do they look broken? Because all three have an ugly redlink in the infobox, where the as-yet-unreleased Sugimori art should be.

These redlinks have been there for months. We know that we're not going to get the art anytime soon: on past form, it could be two years before we have official art of Genesect. We need to do something in the interim, unless we want these pages to continue to look broken for years to come.

And we have a wealth of options. We could:

- Use unofficial art, as we did for Shaymin amd Arceus.
    - Use sprites
    - Use a plain white square, or just anything that would take the place of the redlink.

I've asked about this situation before. More than once, actually. Using unofficial art is apparently now out of the question, despite having been fine a few years ago. Well, fair enough, but what about the other options? Can somebody please make a decision?

Moderator Maverick Nate's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator

Default Re: Sugimori art redlinks

I feel like that no image image would suffice.

Blog Entries

Well, the page looks broken in its current state. Somebody, please show some leadership and actually make a decision.

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    Right now, Bulbapedia has three high-traffic articles that look utterly broken. These are the articles on Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect.
    Fixed.

The wiki staff talked about using fan-made art a while back. Although I was in support, I think a majority of the team were opposed. With that in mind, I think the best thing to do would be to put the current sprite in the infobox (although I would still prefer a fan-made image given that it would be noted as such and that said image would have been specifically created for use on Bulbagarden).
    The dark lord trombonator (trom)
    Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief, Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief, and Archives Advisor

Now blogging as 'idiosyncriticnz' at wordpress.com

Blog Entries

I'm in favour of a fan-made image too, but above and beyond that, I just want us to do something. Right now, it feels like because we can't all agree on exactly how to proceed, we can't proceed at all. I just want something in place of that redlink, even if it's a blank white square.

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

I'm still in favor of sprites, or at least enlarged sprites that have been fan edited to smooth out the resulting gigantic pixels.

However, I would not be opposed to using a blank image to get rid of the ugly redlink. That redlink also means that when we do eventually get official art, it won't show up for several days after being uploaded due to that server synchronization problem.

I am really not a fan of using unofficial art, like how we used those fake sprites for Zoroark and Zorua pre-release; I think we should have just shrunk the artwork down to sprite size, then smoothed it (if necessary), or simply used the 000 sprite we used for later Pokémon.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Going with the sprite solution as a temporary one. If anyone has a better idea, let me know.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

ive set the sprites to a blown-up 180px. if a majority believes they should be shrunk to normal size, then speak up. i dont really mind either way myself.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNEDETH View Post
    ive set the sprites to a blown-up 180px. if a majority believes they should be shrunk to normal size, then speak up. i dont really mind either way myself.
    Bloated = bad. We're not WPM.

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

fair enough but im going to need more than one person to respond.

Blog Entries

They look absolutely fine to me. Originally I envisaged just using the sprites at their normal size, but having seen them blown up I think they're absolutely fine this way.

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Yeah, they get zoomed into in-game anyway, so I don't see a problem with having them enlarged.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

i'm cool with the sprites the way they are myself. i don't like the idea of using fanart.