ARCHIVES: Suggestions, ideas, and problems - Page 16

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 281
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

  1. #226
    PeeKaBoo s2daam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    I just want to ask again.. if these maps would be ok to upload over the current B2W2 maps?

    Example:

    I've already done them all so it's just a matter of uploading them...
    Last edited by Werdnae; 31st July 2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: fixing image
    WELCOME TO KALOS!

    GET READY TO START A BRAND NEW ADVENTURE IN THE POKÉMON WORLD!

  2. #227
    Sphere Hunter Kogoro's Avatar Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Hiding in your shadow.
    Posts
    1,110
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    @s2daam; Area highlighted town map files should use the highlight style from the Area function of the Pokédex.
    @TheOriginalOne; This really is more than just Archives related. The three wikis in the Bulbawiki Network already have unified login. We looked into such merging with the BMGf, but it's just not really something we're able to do at this time.
    @Chosen of Mana; That may be something to look into.
    Last edited by Kogoro; 31st July 2012 at 09:33 PM.

  3. #228
    オリジナル TheOriginalOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    23

    Visit TheOriginalOne's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Kogoro View Post
    @TheOriginalOne; This really is more than just Archives related. The three wikis in the Bulbawiki Network already have unified login. We looked into such merging with the BMGf, but it's just not really something we're able to do at this time.
    What do you mean with that??? I still have to log in multiple times, I don't know if you got it. Also, don't forget to analyse the idea of supporting music files on the archives.
    ...

  4. #229
    Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,177
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalOne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kogoro View Post
    @TheOriginalOne; This really is more than just Archives related. The three wikis in the Bulbawiki Network already have unified login. We looked into such merging with the BMGf, but it's just not really something we're able to do at this time.
    What do you mean with that??? I still have to log in multiple times, I don't know if you got it. Also, don't forget to analyse the idea of supporting music files on the archives.
    Are you selecting the "remember me" box?
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

  5. #230
    Registered User Luigi-San's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    East Amherst, NY
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Glad to see that the Archives have been unlocked.

    However, I've noticed a problem with the File description pages: The links under "Global file usage" do not work (Look here for an example). They point to the archives itself rather than to the main wiki, where they appear to be intended to point to.

  6. #231
    Sphere Hunter Kogoro's Avatar Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Hiding in your shadow.
    Posts
    1,110
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    @TheOriginalOne; Far too many copyright issues with music files. If we're going to use any sound files, we'd likely have to limit such to Pokémon cries. As for unified wiki login, you may need to try using the account merger tool on Bulbapedia, as well as select the option to remember your login when you log in.
    @Luigi-San; We're quite aware of the issue regarding Global File usage, but we're currently unable to find the cause of the problem. However, the issues will be fixed when we're able to do so.

  7. #232
    PURPLE HERMIT! Chosen of Mana's Avatar Archives Staff
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    LET'S GO
    Posts
    3,090
    Blog Entries
    62
    Follow Chosen of Mana On Twitter

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    I need a quick memory refresher... we're supposed to avoid using accents, including the ever-present "é" when naming files, right?

    Big claimin'
    Cresselia (Pokémon)
    Colette Brunel [Tales of Symphonia] and Yuri Lowell [Tales of Vesperia] (Video game characters)

  8. #233
    オリジナル TheOriginalOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    23

    Visit TheOriginalOne's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Kogoro View Post
    @TheOriginalOne; Far too many copyright issues with music files. If we're going to use any sound files, we'd likely have to limit such to Pokémon cries.
    Are you really sure that, contrary to in wikipedia, it's impossible??? I'm saying this because it's not as little important as you say: I'm also thinking about location and battle musics on the wiki (those would be REALLY helpful!). Other ones would be possible, like the music that plays when a certain trainer challenges the player, or specific themes that only play for one important person (example:Eusine's music). All in all, I think music on bulbapedia would be as important as on wikipedia. So, do the copyright issues still not compensate (and are they really such a big thing?) ?
    ...

  9. #234
    Bulbapædist Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalOne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kogoro View Post
    @TheOriginalOne; Far too many copyright issues with music files. If we're going to use any sound files, we'd likely have to limit such to Pokémon cries.
    Are you really sure that, contrary to in wikipedia, it's impossible??? I'm saying this because it's not as little important as you say: I'm also thinking about location and battle musics on the wiki (those would be REALLY helpful!). Other ones would be possible, like the music that plays when a certain trainer challenges the player, or specific themes that only play for one important person (example:Eusine's music). All in all, I think music on bulbapedia would be as important as on wikipedia. So, do the copyright issues still not compensate (and are they really such a big thing?) ?
    Most music files are (or should be) only about 20-30 seconds in length due to copyright issues, so this would only encompass the cries as you mentioned above. The only exceptions to this are things released under a public license (which essentially anything released officially, is not)

  10. #235
    A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,208
    Blog Entries
    3
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Chosen of Mana View Post
    I need a quick memory refresher... we're supposed to avoid using accents, including the ever-present "é" when naming files, right?
    They don't pose any technical issue and are fine to use.

  11. #236
    オリジナル TheOriginalOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    23

    Visit TheOriginalOne's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Spriteit View Post
    Most music files are (or should be) only about 20-30 seconds in length due to copyright issues, so this would only encompass the cries as you mentioned above. The only exceptions to this are things released under a public license (which essentially anything released officially, is not)
    Why do you all keep saying we need a license, when we could just:
    *Pick our game;
    *Put ourselves in a situation in which the desired music would play;
    *Record the music as a video and publish in on youtube (many people have already done every step until this one)
    *Now, if we use the youtubevid template, the pictures will also be shown, so we'll have to filter them by going to this website, and download the video just as a music file;
    *Re-upload it to the archives with this feature that you're always denying.

    ???
    So, we won't need to ask anyone for copyright, because it's easy as this. Now, if you still say something else about copyright... if people can publish the musics on youtube, why can't we upload them to the archives???
    ...

  12. #237
    Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Black City
    Posts
    8,588
    Blog Entries
    422

    Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalOne View Post
    So, we won't need to ask anyone for copyright, because it's easy as this. Now, if you still say something else about copyright... if people can publish the musics on youtube, why can't we upload them to the archives???
    Because all that music on YT is technically illegal, unless specifically allowed to publish by certain parties, and 90-99% of people who upload said music do not have that permission.

    Just because it's on the internet don't mean it's legal.
    Avatar artwork by アカネ
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

  13. #238
    オリジナル TheOriginalOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    23

    Visit TheOriginalOne's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tiger View Post
    Just because it's on the internet don't mean it's legal.
    By the way you're speaking, people could also say that the youtubevid template is illegal, right? Oh yeah, does wikipedia have any great problems when it comes to that? And who said that Game Freak minds when it's used on a wiki? Maybe they recognize that it is important for people to have access to that on this website, because they rely on it. We have to be sure. Even if there's copyright involved, maybe some authorized video authors were also authorized to give the publish the video in other places... maybe with this feature! If nothing is true... come on, how much would it cost to bulbagarden just to ask for some musics???
    ...

  14. #239
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Hi. I have an idea that I feel would be a helpful addition to many pages - audio pronunciation (may or may not accompany text pronunciation). This could be useful on certain Pokemon pages, for example. I'm experienced enough with the MediaWiki software to create the needed template myself, and with my accentless Midland American voice, I can do legible recordings as well. Is this a desired project?

  15. #240
    Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,177
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Dzylon View Post
    Hi. I have an idea that I feel would be a helpful addition to many pages - audio pronunciation (may or may not accompany text pronunciation). This could be useful on certain Pokemon pages, for example. I'm experienced enough with the MediaWiki software to create the needed template myself, and with my accentless Midland American voice, I can do legible recordings as well. Is this a desired project?
    Pronounciations cause too much debate. People can't agree on the correct one, even within official Nintendo sources. Heck, some Pokemon the anime alone has given us two different pronounciations. Also, I feel the need to point out that "Accentless" is highly subjective.

    Relevant to both the previous suggestions, last time we tried to upload a sound file, the server crashed, taking the bulbawikis down for hours. I have also heard reports of the sound files on Wikipedia crashing people's fully updated browsers. We're not even considering them at this stage, and if we do in future, we'll have to be pretty sure that they're not going to do the same thing.

    Finally, @TheOriginalOne; you completely missed the point. Obviously not everything on Youtube is illegal, or the whole site would have been shut down long ago. That doesn't mean that people don't upload illegal stuff. Something being on Youtube doesn't mean it's legal, it just means that someone who has internet access has it in some form. That's why videos are often removed for copyright violations. If someone was to use the Youtube video template to share, for example, a full episode of the anime, then yes, it would be illegal and the person that did it would be in big trouble. A recording of someone performing a glitch on the other hand is a legitimate use of the template, and isn't a problem.

    Also, in response to your "Who says Game Freak minds" comment. . . we don't know. If they don't mind and we put it up then nothing happens. If they do mind and we put it up, they are well within their rights to shut the entire site down. We cannot put something up just because there is a possibility that they might not mind.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •