BULBAPEDIA: Suggestions, ideas, and problems - Page 98

Page 98 of 170 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2539
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Very Fine Dodger
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

For some reason I cannot see the differences between revisions for Swords Dance. What is the problem?
    I have dodged many things, but that is not why I am a dodger. I just like wearing striped shirts.

Bulbapedia Administrator Force Fire's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

^Which edit? The recent one?

Team Black

Team White

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Blaziken257 View Post
    Hey, I have a suggestion... I don't know if this has been brought up already, but would it be possible to include Dream World locations under the Game locations section of each Pokémon article? We have a field for Pokéwalker locations, so I don't see why we can't do the same for the Dream World. Plus, I think it would be convenient if someone wants to know where to find a Pokémon in the Dream World -- currently I have to go to all three Dream World location articles and using Ctrl+F to find where a given Pokémon is. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know where to find Dream World Pokémon.

It's just a suggestion, though...
    I think this is a good idea. It was actually brought up here

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger Jazz View Post
    For some reason I cannot see the differences between revisions for Swords Dance. What is the problem?
    I get that a lot too. I actually kept a list of all of the offending pages I found:
    Rock Smash (move), Surf (move), Ace Trainer (Trainer class), Silph Co., Flash (move), Dig (move), Fighting Dojo, Cheren, Victory Road (Kanto), Rain Dance (move), Seafoam Islands, Theif (move), Thunder Wave (move), List of Pokémon by evolution family, List of Pokémon by body style

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fire View Post
    ^Which edit? The recent one?
    Any difs for me

PLA

List of Respawning Items?

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger Jazz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post
    I get that a lot too. I actually kept a list of all of the offending pages I found:
    Rock Smash (move), Surf (move), Ace Trainer (Trainer class), Silph Co., Flash (move), Dig (move), Fighting Dojo, Cheren, Victory Road (Kanto), Rain Dance (move), Seafoam Islands, Theif (move), Thunder Wave (move), List of Pokémon by evolution family, List of Pokémon by body style

Any difs for me
    I've noticed that it's always the pages that take longest to load, i.e. have the largest load size. (I note there's a lot of Gen I TM/HM moves on that list.) It's only been an issue, for me at least, since the wiki was unlocked after BW.

You can still view the diffs by going into your preferences and choosing not to display the page content below the diffs. A little less convenient, and somewhat annoying at times (IMO), but at least they load.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Exclamation Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

I just want to say that All Screenshots that are taken directly from the Anime or Movies will always suffer from Quality Loss regardless of being saved in PNG format.
    So the Current Policy of "Submitting Anime and Movie Screenshots in PNG-Format Only" is considered Useless and a Grossly Inefficient Waste of Bulbapedia's Site Bandwidth.

Here's a Comparison to Close my argument:

The PNG File is a wasteful 219KB in size which is due to the vast spectrum of colors used in the Animation and produced by Quality Loss.

The JPG File is only 18.9KB in Size.
    Although the image suffered additional Quality Loss, the fact that the source of the screenshot already has (and always will have) Quality Loss renders this a MOOT POINT. Not to mention that the additional loss of quality is hardly noticeable.

My proposed New Policy for Bulbapedia is this: "All Contributed Anime and Movie Screenshots must ALWAYS be in JPG-Format"

Bulbapedia Administrator Force Fire's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arima View Post
    I just want to say that All Screenshots that are taken directly from the Anime or Movies will always suffer from Quality Loss regardless of being saved in PNG format.
    So the Current Policy of "Submitting Anime and Movie Screenshots in PNG-Format Only" is considered Useless and a Grossly Inefficient Waste of Bulbapedia's Site Bandwidth.

Here's a Comparison to Close my argument:

The PNG File is a wasteful 219KB in size which is due to the vast spectrum of colors used in the Animation and produced by Quality Loss.

The JPG File is only 18.9KB in Size.
    Although the image suffered additional Quality Loss, the fact that the source of the screenshot already has (and always will have) Quality Loss renders this a MOOT POINT. Not to mention that the additional loss of quality is hardly noticeable.

My proposed New Policy for Bulbapedia is this: "All Contributed Anime and Movie Screenshots must ALWAYS be in JPG-Format"
    In normal view, they look fine. But when shrunken to thumbnail size, PNGs look better than JPGs. Says so in the Archives:FAQ.

Team Black

Team White

Exclamation Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fire View Post
    In normal view, they look fine. But when shrunken to thumbnail size, PNGs look better than JPGs. Says so in the Archives:FAQ.
    The Numbers don't lie. So I can Promise you this:
    If we replace every Anime and Movie PNG with JPG's, Bulbapedia will regain MEGABYTES of Wasted Space which translates into less stress on the Servers.

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Server space =/= server stress. A larger file size takes more bandwidth to serve to you, but we're not stressed for bandwidth, we're stressed for server load.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arima View Post
    The Numbers don't lie. So I can Promise you this:
    If we replace every Anime and Movie PNG with JPG's, Bulbapedia will regain MEGABYTES of Wasted Space which translates into less stress on the Servers.
    We don't really care for those image sizes, but we do care for the 3.2MB animations. That's a comparison for you.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Also, it's worth noting that on the whole Bulbapedia/Bulbagarden just don't take up that much server space, when you're counting up the bytes. Everything we have can, IIRC, fit on my iPod quite comfortably, in terms of data size. As Archaic said, server load is a much bigger issue than server space--a handful of modern hard drives could fit all of Wikipedia. Dishing out all that info to the people who want to see it is processor, not hard drive, intensive.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Still learning. ikarishipper900's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Transfinite View Post
    Sugimori shouldn't have even had to say so. Look at his sprite. It's blatant.
    I don't think it's blatant. If it were blatant, there wouldn't have been any confusion. Have YOU ever seen a hat like that?

Quote Originally Posted by The dark lord trombonator View Post
    Things stated in secondary sources should have the source attached, with a link if the source is available online.
    I didn't know that. Thank you. :)

Is there a plan to change the signature rules? Having very limited space to add things to a signature is annoying.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragoniteMaster View Post
    Is there a plan to change the signature rules? Having very limited space to add things to a signature is annoying.
    Nope. And this is a forums question, not a Bulbapedia one. Ask forums questions in the FAQ forum next time.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Quote Originally Posted by evkl View Post
    Nope. And this is a forums question, not a Bulbapedia one. Ask forums questions in the FAQ forum next time.
    Oh, wow. Sorry, I had no idea I was in the wrong section. x)