BULBAPEDIA: Suggestions, ideas, and problems - Page 39

Page 39 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Default Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea/problem thread

Quote Originally Posted by Roronoa Zorua View Post
    "Base EXP" and "EV effort yield" are peas and tomatos: not the same thing.
    I may be misunderstanding you, but the Exp column in the link you quoted is the Pokemon's base exp. Explaining what base exp is, is a different thing. However, from my point of view, base exp is pretty clear: its a predetermined number on each pokemon that affects the exp you gain from fainting it.

My explanation may be vague, but I don't see a point for a whole new page for base exp.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

"Base EXP" and "EV effort yield" are peas and tomatos: not the same thing.

Neither link explain "base exp" and what it is, which is the statistic found on Pokémon pages alongside "Battle exp".
    Base experience and EV yield are quite the same. They're encoded in the species, and both are the basemost thing that determines a Pokémon's growth when they defeat a member of that species. They can also be altered by several items.

And the battle exp. thing is explained on every page. Hover over that asterisk. Based on battling a wild level 50 Pokémon. The details are on the experience page, but considering the template already links to that page, I figured it'd be stupid to link it again.

Also, I did it at level 50 because that's a nice round number. How often are you gonna find a level 7 Moltres?

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    Also, I did it at level 50 because that's a nice round number. How often are you gonna find a level 7 Moltres?
    How often are you going to find a level 50 Tentacruel?

I'd suggest a slightly lower number like 20 or 35. But not 50.

(But in case you really don't want to, I can provide another rationalization. The base stats are calculated as the stats if the Pokemon were at level 50, so why not the battle experience? XD.)
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Base experience and EV yield are quite the same. They're encoded in the species, and both are the basemost thing that determines a Pokémon's growth when they defeat a member of that species. They can also be altered by several items.
    Are they inter-related at all? Is one species EV-production related to what one's base exp is? 'Cuz if they aren't, they're peas and tomatos.

What's the earn yield of experience for fainting a Pokémon? You certainly don't get 55 experience facing a lv 1 Pidgey. You get, like, 8. And then 12, then 15, or something like that. So what does the number do? Since "base" usually means "bottom," something doesn't add up.

Shoving a footnote on the experience article with wtf "base exp" is wouldn't hurt...because it makes as much sense as the "base stats" on a Pokémon's stat charts.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Blog Entries

Are they inter-related at all? Is one species EV-production related to what one's base exp is? 'Cuz if they aren't, they're peas and tomatoes.

What's the earn yield of experience for fainting a Pokémon? You certainly don't get 55 experience facing a lv 1 Pidgey. You get, like, 8. And then 12, then 15, or something like that. So what does the number do? Since "base" usually means "bottom," something doesn't add up.
    For some reason, the base exp. is for level 7, not level 1. So defeating a Level 7 Pidgey would give you 55 experience points. Don't ask us, ask the game developers.

By that logic, the "base stats" of a Pokemon should all be 5, 'cause that's what they all are at the hypothetical level 0. (Except for HP, which is 10.) Instead, the base stats are calculated for Level 50.

(It's 7, 15, then 23, BTW.)

Shoving a footnote on the experience article with wtf "base exp" is wouldn't hurt...because it makes as much sense as the "base stats" on a Pokémon's stat charts.
    I'll get on that.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Just for fun, I would really like to see a complete explanation for why different types effect each other the way they do.
    Why is grass strong against rock?
    Why is Psychic weak to bug?
    And so on, I know it's a big job, but I think it would be kind neat!
    Go with Grass, Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ogregames64 View Post
    Just for fun, I would really like to see a complete explanation for why different types effect each other the way they do.
    Why is grass strong against rock?
    Why is Psychic weak to bug?
    And so on, I know it's a big job, but I think it would be kind neat!
    Problem is, there are no real reasons why - it's just programmed that way in the game.

Yeah, I guess your right, there is no real reason. It's just something that I always think about while playing.
    It never made sense to me that bugs are strong against fighting attacks and poison is weak to ground and psychic.
    Go with Grass, Dave

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

Bugs are WEAK on Fighters, and Poison is neutral against Psychic.

some of this is pretty standard (water puts out fire) and i agree, some dont make sense (yes, punching a piece of steel always works), but this isnt a BP related issue. i would suggest discussing it elsewhewre on the forums.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Code:
    A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "User::invalidateCache". Database returned error "1205: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction (174.37.30.34)".
    TTE WHAT DID YOU DO.

This came up anytime I loaded a page a few minutes ago.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Absolutely nothing.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Also

Are they inter-related at all? Is one species EV-production related to what one's base exp is? 'Cuz if they aren't, they're peas and tomatos.

Base stats. Base experience. It's not the level 1 stuff at all. It's the number it's calculated from. Footnotes don't need to exist if you read the article. If you missed it, hey, not my fault, but does that mean we have to write everything in an article twice? Learnsets, catch locations, all that? The calculation for experience gained is RIGHT THERE. Level 50 and level 100 are used as the generic levels because... that's the most generic you can get. Plus, they're the levels you're forced to in most battle arenas.

And before you make the excuse "oh noes, hardly any wild level 50 Pokémon", well what level do you want me to put? Level 1? You hardly encounter Pokémon there. Level 7? People will ask why we, not the game designers, chose such a random level.

As for why they're together. Again. Both are generated on the defeat of the Pokémon. Want us to do something like put only the Electric-type moves Pikachu learns in one table, regardless of how they're learned, just because they're STAB, and therefore more important? No. Base experience fits with EV yields in the same way Slam and Thunderbolt both fit in Pikachu's level-up learnset.

Blog Entries

Level 7? People will ask why we, not the game designers, chose such a random level.
    Which is why I then suggested 20 or 35. Those levels are actually encounterable most of the time in-game, and are still pretty "generic".

Besides the little riff I have with the "Battle Exp." heading, I pretty much agree with everything else you said. Base exp. is in the same place as the effort value yield, and is a perfectly okay heading to have in the article, as is it also a sort of "effort value".
    Last edited by Zekurom; 29th July 2010 at 11:14 PM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Well I could have it be a random level between 1 and 100...

Blog Entries

Well I could have it be a random level between 1 and 100...
    Nahhhhhhhhhh.

(on proposition of a moderator:) It's obviously a tongue-in-cheek idea, hence the tongue-in-cheek reply.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 30th July 2010 at 07:58 AM.