BULBAPEDIA: Suggestions, ideas, and problems - Page 145
Page 145 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 2594

Thread: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Trainer classes in black tower seem to have pokemon based on what Ev's they drop for instance a gentlemen and youngsters seem to only use pokemon that give speed EV's female school kids and socialite seem to have only pokemon that give special defense, ditto for psychic but for special attack. Is this true? And if it is, is worth putting on bulbapedia?
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

Finally getting around to creating an account for the first time after using the wiki for some time...

At the bottom of the account creation page: "take the time to revise Bulbapedia policy and guidelines"

"revise" them.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be review unless you want all the new users to be going through and changing the policy/guidelines.

Fiery passion that burns~ Kogoro's Avatar Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Finally getting around to creating an account for the first time after using the wiki for some time...

At the bottom of the account creation page: "take the time to revise Bulbapedia policy and guidelines"

"revise" them.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be review unless you want all the new users to be going through and changing the policy/guidelines.
    Review it certainly should be, and now is. Thanks for the heads up.

Blog Entries

Just wondering if the articles for characters that are in the anime and the games, where the 'In the anime' section is a short stub pointing to a Character (anime) article, we could get a hatnote pointing to that article?

Something like, This article is an overview of the character, for their [anime appearance/anime counterpart] see Character (anime)

Considering the articles like Misty, Bianca, Brock and Iris are all but exclusively about their appearances in the games in terms of the content of those articles, it seems a bit counter intuitive to bury a link to the article about the anime characters within an article that's broadly irrelevant to what is being searched for - the articles don't attempt to be written in a way that talks about the multiple appearances/differences, indeed aside from the info box having a line like 'anime debut', the articles don't mention anything about the anime until the 'In the anime' section, which either requires looking for the section in the navigation box or scrolling past what is usually an extremely long list of quotes.

Surely if the intention was that the main articles were covering the characters as a whole, the lead paragraphs would be written to mention the distinct roles that they have in the anime compared to the games. Otherwise, to use Bianca as an example, why is she introduced only as being,
    She is a rival character in Pokémon Black and White and an Assistant Pokémon Professor to Professor Juniper in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2.
    Rather than mentioning all of the appearances, something like;
    She is a rival character in Pokémon Black and White and an Assistant Pokémon Professor to Professor Juniper in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, as well as appearing as a recurring character in the Pokémon anime and supporting character in the Pokémon Adventures manga.
    It'd be a minor point, but I'll rarely remember to type '(anime)' in the search box to go straight to that article and the in forum links take you to the main article (even when in the anime forum). A hatnote would be a quick and obvious place to add links to what are characters with very little in common besides their names/broad appearance, and I think make it far easier to navigate the wiki. Trying to write introductions that are relevant to all appearances would be difficult; my example for Bianca is clunky as it is, but for characters like Brock, nearly none of the information mentioned in their current article intro holds true for their anime counterpart.

^I agree. A hatnote at the very top of the page is much better than scrolling down, trying to find "In the anime" in small font, and then clicking that hatnote.

_____

I've noticed that in articles like Iris's Axew and Brock's Steelix, in which the Pokémon hatches or evolves off-screen, the information box in the top-right says "Hatches in | Prior to In the Shadow of Zekrom!​" and "Evolves in | Prior to Grating Spaces!"
    I tried tinkering with the formatting so that "Prior to" can appear as "Prior to", thus making it distinct from the actual episode title, but I can't find a way. Is this possible or just one of the conundrums of wiki?
    Last edited by Aviator Zero; 28th December 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator Zero View Post
    I've noticed that in articles like Iris's Axew and Brock's Steelix, in which the Pokémon hatches or evolves off-screen, the information box in the top-right says "Hatches in | Prior to In the Shadow of Zekrom!​" and "Evolves in | Prior to Grating Spaces!"
    I tried tinkering with the formatting so that "Prior to" can appear as "Prior to", thus making it distinct from the actual episode title, but I can't find a way. Is this possible or just one of the conundrums of wiki?
    It's only possible if the template is changed so that the italics and link are included manually, on every article. Otherwise you're trying to get the italics and link to start in the middle of a parameter. 'Closing' the template's italics for the "Prior to" and then 'opening' them again doesn't work, as it means that the link and italics tags are overlapping. As in HTML, wikicode tags need to be either nested or completely separate. As a result, the software reads it as a new, nested italics. The difference isn't observable, because most browsers and computers are clever enough not to double-italicise things.

Related to that, double bold tags do have an effect, being replaced with the "strong" font style. On some computers this is indistinguishable, but later versions of Windows in particular do show a difference, which can be as much as replacing Arial with Arial Black.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Default Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea thread

Just noticed the mini image for Stunfisk is actually a Cubchoo. Noticed it when checking abilities.

Edit: just noticed Skourpi is a Riolu as well

This world is merciless Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia StaffModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea thread

Quote Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
    Just noticed the mini image for Stunfisk is actually a Cubchoo. Noticed it when checking abilities.

Edit: just noticed Skourpi is a Riolu as well
    Could you link to what you're referring to? I looked at the page and I could not find anything.

There's no "Version" in the names of Pokémon X and Y, so the fully protected Pokémon X and Y Versions page needs that word removing, and renaming accordingly.

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's no "Version" in the names of Pokémon X and Y, so the fully protected Pokémon X and Y Versions page needs that word removing, and renaming accordingly.
    Talk:Pokémon X and Y Versions - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

It might sound like we're just being stubborn, but for now it's staying as Versions.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

Should it be noted that this is the first time that (I can ever recall) the Pokémon Company has officially described the pronunciation of Pokémon? I'm talking about Xerneas (Zʊr-ni-ɐs, ZURR-nee-us) and Yveltal (I-vel-tɑl, ee-VELL-tall), of course. Should these pronunciation guides be put on each legendary's page? Pokémon usually have pretty unanimously pronounced names, but some, like Pidgeot, Elekid, and Ampharos are frequently pronounced differently. This is the first time in English that Pokémon has ever officially and explicitly pronounced a Pokémon's name apart from just a spokesperson or anime VA saying it.

Source

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator Zero View Post
    Should it be noted that this is the first time that (I can ever recall) the Pokémon Company has officially described the pronunciation of Pokémon? I'm talking about Xerneas (Zʊr-ni-ɐs, ZURR-nee-us) and Yveltal (I-vel-tɑl, ee-VELL-tall), of course. Should these pronunciation guides be put on each legendary's page? Pokémon usually have pretty unanimously pronounced names, but some, like Pidgeot, Elekid, and Ampharos are frequently pronounced differently. This is the first time in English that Pokémon has ever officially and explicitly pronounced a Pokémon's name apart from just a spokesperson or anime VA saying it.

Source
    We've also had a bunch confirmed in things like The Official Pokémon Handbook. I don't think it is fair to say that these are the only confirmed pronunciations.

Shows what I know. According to the most recent edition, which we don't have have a page for yet, the first 646 Pokémon all have official pronunciations. In the preview for the B/W guide, Ampharos is said to be pronounced Amf-uh-ross, one of its original pronunciations (the other being Amf-uh-rous). That makes 648 explicitly phoneticized names (though Kel-di-ou and Mel-ou-et-uh have been said enough times to be essentially official, and the Gen VI starters aren't very difficult to guess).

So, we have the official pronunciations of nearly every Pokémon's name in English. I know it's been denied before, but why can't we put this information on each Pokémon's page? I mean... it's official. It'd just be adding a little extra section to the main info box called "English Name Pronunciation".

I really dislike the officially used phonetic system since it mixes actual phonetic symbols with convenient English words. It reminds me of kiddy science books that typed out STEG-guh-SOAR-us and the like. Could we use it in conjunction with the IPA (not the shorthand I typed two paragraphs ago, but the symbols used in my previous comment)?

I really don't see how a little text box with useful, official information and a link to the IPA guide can be discouraged. I wouldn't bet against it, though. Hell, I'd buy the guide myself if no one else has it and is willing to either edit each page themselves or paste all of the pronunciations on the forum to share.

Show me your moves ! Herbizarre's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Herbizarre on Tumblr Visit Herbizarre's Youtube Channel

The Hidden Grotto on Route 23 is kind of confusing to find : On this page, the location of this Hidden Grotto is said to be located south of the Black Belt.

The thing is, on this route there are 2 Black Belts : one near the west entrance of the Giant Chasm and another in the forest labyrinth near the Victory Road. And the Hidden Grotto is (fortunately for the Cut HM haters) where the first Black Belt is.

Could the described location be reworded like the following :

To the south of the Black Belt near the West entrance of the Giant Chasm
    Cordially, somebody who got lost in the forest labyrinth but found a wild Gliscor to make up for the time lost searching that Hidden Grotto.
    I support : BiologyShipping, GodzillaShipping, GreatRocketShipping, RebelShipping, TransceiverShipping, Fox X Krystal, Leon S. Kennedy X Ada Wong, Leon X Lucy Liberty, FalSam, LGMShipping and Escavalier x Lilligant. This signature image is the perfect place to name all the ships I support without wasting space on the signature, mwa ha ha !
    Click here to view a fanfic of my crossover OTP : Beastman (F-Zero) and Mars (Pokémon).

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Herbizarre View Post
    The Hidden Grotto on Route 23 is kind of confusing to find : On this page, the location of this Hidden Grotto is said to be located south of the Black Belt.

The thing is, on this route there are 2 Black Belts : one near the west entrance of the Giant Chasm and another in the forest labyrinth near the Victory Road. And the Hidden Grotto is (fortunately for the Cut HM haters) where the first Black Belt is.

Could the described location be reworded like the following :

To the south of the Black Belt near the West entrance of the Giant Chasm
    Cordially, somebody who got lost in the forest labyrinth but found a wild Gliscor to make up for the time lost searching that Hidden Grotto.
    Fixed, more or less.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.