Spoiler Template

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Maverick Nate

Thread: Spoiler Template

Battle Pike Champion HoennMaster's Avatar

Default Spoiler Template

On various articles on the wiki we use a spoilers template for people who may not want to know what happens for something. However, is there any rule on how long this should remain on pages or if it should even be on pages in the first place?

I was looking over various pages and there are spoiler tags on articles for regions, movies, specials, episodes, events, etc that happened years ago. For instance, there is a spoiler tag on the Kanto page over the plot for the Generation 1 games. That example just seems kind of silly to me since the Generation 1 games have been out for 13/15 years now and even if you have never played them, people have probably played the remakes or don't even care to be spoiled anymore.

Just wanted opinions on this.

Moderator Maverick Nate's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator

Default Re: Spoiler Template

Honestly, I think what we should do is have a universal Spoiler comment that appears on every page in a header or footer or something. Essentially, everything on the wiki is a spoiler. Why we think some are more important than others, I don't even know.
    Werdnae, SnorlaxMonster and Adyniz like this.

I'm mean and green Jo The Marten's Avatar Bulbanews WriterSocial Media EditorArchives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Jo The Marten On Twitter
    Follow Jo The Marten on Tumblr

I think we should leave them for people that are really new to the franchise, as in they know nothing about it. So say they want to buy an older game since it's cheap and they want to start early on in the series, they wouldn't want to know too much about the story. So I agree that pretty much everything is a spoiler, so we should always warn people that what they're reading may potentially spoil a few things. No matter how old it is.

I'm just a mean green mother from outer space!
    And I am bad!

[Bulbapedia][Tumblr][Art site][My sweetie ♥][Little Shop of Horrors club]

Canadian Sweetheart Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

I agree with Jo. Not everyone played or knows the Generation 1 games (or others). Many of the newer fans (say people younger than 12) were not even alive during gen 1 so this could be new info for them, but then again this is a wiki and spoilers are expected. Maybe a read at your own risk should be put somewhere at the top of the page lol