SOPA Consistency

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Werdnae

Thread: SOPA Consistency

追放されたバカ

Default SOPA Consistency

Why weren't the sitenotices and mainpages and Main Pages for the Archives and News blacked out like the pedia and the forums to support the block of the SOPA and PIPA bills??

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Default Re: SOPA Consistency

For Archives, it's because that's not really something the general public is going to browse to begin with, since it's essentially an image repository for 'pedia and news.

For Bulbanews, the lack of blackout was for the same reason as the regular Bulbapedia content pages were not blocked out. We wanted to get our message out without depriving people of content and community. For that same reason, our forums were only down today for as long as the forum software upgrade was being done, and were put back up (with this special anti-SOPA flavour) afterwards.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

★ Pokémon Proffesor ☆
    Blog Entries

I don't understand, I'm glad Bulba is doing what it can for freedom of speech... But it's not like the government will censor out everything Pokemon right?

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mumzy View Post
    I don't understand, I'm glad Bulba is doing what it can for freedom of speech... But it's not like the government will censor out everything Pokemon right?
    If SOPA or PIPA are passed, it basically gives the censorship powers to rights holders, not the government. Including the holders of the rights to anything not Pokemon related which may end up on this website. If Nintendo wanted to take us down, they could already, SOPA or no SOPA. That's why our rules in relation to Pokemon copyright violation are already very strict - so that we don't give them a reason to want us gone.

That's a pretty poor explanation from someone who has an average understanding at best (i.e. me). A much better explanation can be found through the thread for discussion of these laws in the News of the World forum. I must insist that all further discussion on the bills be taken here: US Congress's Internet Censorship Bill
    Mumzy likes this.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.