A small idea

Thread: A small idea

Default A small idea

I have an idea...but im not sure if its a good one

For each pokemon, why not put how the pokemon can be used competitivly? just as a reference...

for example

"Scizor"

"Scizor is popularly used in generation 4 competitive battles due to its high attacks stat and access to moves such as super power and other powerful moves. It also has bullet punch for priority, and its abilty, Technician, can be used to power up its 60 power moves such as bug bite"

except more profesional. What do you think?

Blog Entries

Default Re: A small idea

Well, there already is Smogon for that. This idea has come up before, and it was dismissed. And, Bulbapedia is more of an encyclopedia.
    FCs- HG: 4426 5257 0152 Pt: 0131 7157 4821 W: 3095 6620 2000 W2: 1851 0568 6600

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

we are toying with the idea, but we dont want to rip off other sites. tricky situation given the extremely competitive nature of the fans, AND the ever changing metagame.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNEDETH View Post
    we are toying with the idea, but we dont want to rip off other sites. tricky situation given the extremely competitive nature of the fans, AND the ever changing metagame.
    Perhaps rather than giving advice on how the Pokemon should be used, being an encyclopedia, it should chronicle trends of its use throughout the generations. The question really, is whether Bulbapedia's role is to affect the evolution of fan communities (which it would if it starts proposing movesets) or chronicle the evolution of fan communities. Basically, a history of usage. Something like this.

Salemence

Competitive Circles

Salamence was not available prior to Gen III

Generation III
    -Something about it being a physical sweeper
    -Most common sets
    -Effect on metagame

Generation IV
    -Basically the same as above, but talk about how metagame changes (physical/special split) affected its usage
    -->Physical/Special split benefited Salamence by giving it a physical STAB
    -How new moves added by HgSs and Platinum affected it (I think that was the result of the ban)
    -->Results in banning in some fan circles

Generation V
    -Again, talk about how the new metagame has affected it's usage
    -->For example, let's say that Hydreigon had now primarily taken its role as a mixed sweeper, but due to its higher speed, it is still not completely outclassed
    -How its ability affects usage and the strategies used
    -->For example, say Moxie increased the usage of Choice Scarf/Outrage variants for revenge-kills over mix-set variants
    I think I should have used Dragonite for this example. Or Alakazam considering it actually had a much larger shift in power between generations (the Special split in Gen I which resulted in a weaker overall defenses and the addition of two types to counterbalance it; the loss of the elemental punches in its arsenal in the transition from Gen III to Gen IV due to the physical/special split). NFE's, unless they had significant usage that differentiated them (like the evolite Chansey or Porygon2)

This would require fans very knowledgeable in the older metagames to fill the knowledge gap pre-DP (or RS) era, but it at least solves the two issues you pointed out. There would be no accusations of plagiarizing movesets from people who worked hard to develop and test them, and there would be no need to continually update the page since it chronicles trends of how it was used rather than giving an in-depth analysis of how everything works and keeping itself up to date with such a fluctuating metagame.

The article would also result in the creation of pages defining fan-terminology so that non-competitive players can understand what is meant by the phrase "sweeper"
    Last edited by The Outrage; 25th July 2011 at 02:40 AM.

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Psystrike View Post
    The article would also result in the creation of pages defining fan-terminology so that non-competitive players can understand what is meant by the phrase "sweeper"
    Well, we already have Appendix:Metagame terminology for that exact purpose. Terms such as "sweeper" should redirect there.

It's fine the way it is. I search bulbapedia when I want to get some info on Pokemon related topics and Pokemons. I don't expect them to give those infos. I wouldn't like it if they did.
    Peanut Butter Jelly Time