The Routes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Routes

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default The Routes

As Isshu's starting again with Route 1, rather than continuing with the gap-X01 format introduced in Hoenn and continued in Sinnoh... we've got some moving to do.

This weekend, Bulbapedia will be briefly locked down so that we can move all current route articles to (Region) Route #. This means that Route 1 will be at Kanto Route 1 from now on, and all subsequent routes following the pattern. The {{rt}} and {{rtn}} templates will also be changed. A new parameter in both will indicate the region. {{rt|1|Kanto}} should be used, rather than {{rt|1}}. For Isshu's first route, we will create the page at Isshu Route 1, and it can be linked to with {{rt|1|Isshu}}. {{rtn}} can be used similarly; where there was an optional second variable to change link text (that no one ever seems to have used... odd), the second variable will be the region, while the third variable will be the alternate text, defaulting to Route #.

I would appreciate it if leading up to this weekend, anyone who has the ability fix the uses of {{rt}} and {{rtn}} across the wiki. They will not change until this weekend, meaning that uses of {{rt}} will end up linking with alt-text of their region name. Don't. Panic. We'll have it all fine and dandy by the time Pokémon Sunday is on. To fix these links, where you see {{rt|X}}, please add the region that route is in. {{rt|2}} would become {{rt|2|Kanto}}, while {{rt|43}} becomes {{rt|43|Johto}}. Where there is {{rtn|6}}, please put {{rtn|6|Kanto}}, much in the same way. Isshu's routes should not yet have many links (the Isshu template currently has the correctly-coded version, though it doesn't yet properly link).

PLEASE. DO NOT LINK WITHOUT THESE TWO LINK TEMPLATES, AND DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER INSTANCES OF LINKS TO PLAIN ROUTE X ARTICLES. I'm trying to figure out a non-invasive way to fix the hardcoded links in the templates, and think I've got something pretty good worked out. But that will not be implemented yet, since it would be a cascading thing.

Any questions? Post them.

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Default Re: The Routes

Yeah. You said you were doing this in the weekend. It's not even the weekend here yet.

... That wasn't a question. So did we change our collective mind about when we're doing stuff?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I lied. We're doing it now to get it done. We got a lotta work to do over the next month. Most of it is to the old stuff, to make it look better for Gen V's debut... so that the Gen V stuff looks good.

Battle Pike Champion HoennMaster's Avatar

Question about this. Why do this instead of "Route 1 (Kanto)"/"Route 1 (Isshu)"?

Not trying to sound rude, be mean or complain, but Region Route #.....it looks kind of dumb.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure why it's like but it's a lot easier to type and search for Kanto Route 1 than typing out Route 1 (Kanto).

Battle Pike Champion HoennMaster's Avatar

It would just redirect anyway. I mean I bet there a re people who type in anime dawn anime may etc once in a while but will still have them reversed.

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

It was intended to match the Safari Zones and real world route names.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jello View Post
    I'm not sure why it's like but it's a lot easier to type and search for Kanto Route 1 than typing out Route 1 (Kanto).
    I agree. I also like the current system because it sounds more like the name of a route in the real world.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

That's indeed it. Real-world routes. US Route 66, Illinois Route 83. Right by here... Chicagoland.

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

itll take some time to get used to, but it makes sense.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Now all we gotta do is disambig-ify the Trainer classes.

Blog Entries

What about Route K-1 and Route I-1? So then it could be easier to type?

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mijumaru View Post
    What about Route K-1 and Route I-1? So then it could be easier to type?
    Personally I find "Kanto Route 1" easier to type than "Route K-1", as well as being easier to understand. But that's just me.

Also, they're never called "K-1", "I-1", etc. in the games, so you're inserting stuff in the middle that shouldn't be there, which isn't good.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Nah, I like the old ones better.
    No.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fearow View Post
    Nah, I like the old ones better.
    So... what would you call Isshu Route 1, then?
    Last edited by Zekurom; 29th August 2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: I'll repost the part I cut off as a VM. It's too off-topic.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast