Requested Bots & Templates - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Requested Bots & Templates

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

So, what exactly is in this database you're working on, and how long do you estimate until its completion?

I'm asking so I don't start adding data you're working on anyway.

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

It's pretty much everything important from the GBA relevant to Pokémon, with the exception of sprites and graphics. (Detailed Move Tutor information (i.e. with location/name of move tutor) is missing however.)

I cannot give an estimated completion yet. I'm still in the middle of compiling the data into a format that I can more easily use.

I'm not sure di I understand how this works, but could someone complete this http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_National_Dex_number site and put the missing pictures in it... I'd like to have all the pictures of the new Pokemons, but I want them all to be like they look same. Sorry for my bad English.

Follow LaprasBoi On Twitter

I would like to request a bot with the following specs, as required by the first post:

All articles. Project namespace too.
    Change episode/chapter/song titles from italics to “quoted”.
    Whatever name the botwriter wants. Or LaprasBot.
    All article and project pages.
    In English writing, italics are for longer whole works, like books, films, albums, and series. Shorter works and sections of longer works, including chapters, scenes, songs, and episodes, are set in (double )quotes.
    I dunno exactly what the best way to give it instructions would be, except maybe to give it a list of all the things that need to be changed, e.g. ''[[EP#|Title]]''→“[[EP#|Title]]”. I could write the list if somebody gave me an example of how it should be written for the bot to interpret it.
    Last edited by LaprasBoi; 25th March 2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: missing spaces

Quote Originally Posted by LaprasBoi View Post
    I would like to request a bot with the following specs, as required by the first post:

All articles. Project namespace too.
    Change episode/chapter/song titles from italics to “quoted”.
    Some of those are translations. Translations are in italics.

In English writing, italics are for longer whole works, like books, films, albums, and series. Shorter works and sections of longer works, including chapters, scenes, songs, and episodes, are set in (double )quotes.
    I've never seen this in print - my experience is that quote marks are used for - well - quotes, and of course the so-called "scary quotes".
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Follow LaprasBoi On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Zhen Lin View Post
    I've never seen this in print - my experience is that quote marks are used for - well - quotes, and of course the so-called "scary quotes".
    Really? Um, it’s standard MLA style. Used by Wikipedia, every school I’ve attended, and quite a number of serious publications, in America anyway. MLA is essentially one of THE handbooks for academic and other non-technical writing. Here is a copy of the relevant guidelines, from Purdue University’s website.
    The Bulbapedia MoS says “Bulbapedia is designed to be an encyclopedia, and as such should contain the best possible level of literary style.”
    Well, in English, MLA is definitely among “the best possible level of literary style”. It would take a little research to check, but I am pretty sure other major style guides, like Chicago, the AP, Fowler’s, and Oxford would agree.

Oh, and, on translations, I can’t find any guidelines, but, I agree they should be italicized. Just, with quotes too when they are episode or song titles.
    Last edited by LaprasBoi; 26th March 2007 at 04:25 AM. Reason: about translations

Registered User Arseus Ex Machina's Avatar

Can we get an anti-spam bot for this forum? Getting spammed on a regular basis is annoying!

Cosmo: I've got two words for you: Mouthwash!

Wanda: Cosmo, "Mouthwash" is one word.

Cosmo: So I'll say it twice: Mouthwash mouthwash!

Quote Originally Posted by LaprasBoi View Post
    Really? Um, it’s standard MLA style. Used by Wikipedia, every school I’ve attended, and quite a number of serious publications, in America anyway. MLA is essentially one of THE handbooks for academic and other non-technical writing. Here is a copy of the relevant guidelines, from Purdue University’s website.
    The Bulbapedia MoS says “Bulbapedia is designed to be an encyclopedia, and as such should contain the best possible level of literary style.”
    Well, in English, MLA is definitely among “the best possible level of literary style”.
    One of many, which is the problem here, isn't it. I do hold one thing against quote marks though: I have had the experience of people editing pages for the sole purpose of correcting British punctuation style (which permits commas, full stops, etc. to follow or precede a closing quote mark) to American style. What's worse is that people aren't aware that such a difference exists, unlike, say, the difference between British and American spelling. (There's a story about a Harry Potter 6 forgery that was detected by the fact that though it used British spelling, American punctuation rules were followed.) Another gripe I have with quote marks is the use of so-called "smart" quotes, or rather, the inconsistent use thereof. (This can be troublesome when linking to articles with quote marks or apostrophes embedded in the title.) Interestingly, MLA seems to endorse British usage.

With italics, no such precedent exists, and of course the most logical thing to do is to italicise only the portion that is being quoted.

To be honest though, I think it has more to do with the fact that I rarely see song titles, chapter titles or episode titles in print. In any case, I note that the MLA guidelines are for citations, as in a bibliography section, not for inline text.

It would take a little research to check, but I am pretty sure other major style guides, like Chicago, the AP, Fowler’s, and Oxford would agree.
    Bulbanews follows the same convention as Bulbapedia, and I believe Argy modelled that after AP style.
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

Italics are technically not supposed to be used in AP style, but only because AP computers (the wire service) can't process different typefaces.

However, I quote this entry of the AP Stylebook:

Quote Originally Posted by word as word
    When italics are available, a word used as a word should be italicized.

Italics are not available to highlight this type of word use on the news wires. When a news story must use a word as a word, place quotation marks around it.
    This entry seems useful in general:

Quote Originally Posted by composition titles
    Apply the guidelines listed here to book titles, computer game titles, movie titles, opera titles, play titles, poem titles, song titles, television program titles, and the titles of lectures, speeches and works of art.

-Capitalize the principal words, including prepositions and conjunctions of four or more letters.

-Capitalize an article- the, a, an -or words of fewer than four letters if it is the first or last word in a title.

-Translate a foreign title into English unless a work is known to the American public by its foreign name.
    As for quotes vs. none for titles, here is what I have been taught and what I use:
    * The names of TV series are not in quotation marks, but episode titles are.
    * Movie titles are in quotation marks.
    * Album titles are not in quotation marks, but song titles are.
    * Video game titles are not in quotation marks.
    * Book titles are in quotation marks, except religious/holy and reference books.

In my book, italics and quotation marks mean the same thing, and italics are less ambiguous.

Theryguy512

[Type of article]: Pokemon TCG sections
    [Bot function]: Create ''Pikachu (TCG)'' (just an example) pages for each Pokemon
    [Bot/Template Name]: TCGBot????
    [Pages affected]: All Pokemon species pages
    [Reason]: On every single Pokemon species spage, it says : ''Main Article:'' '''Pikachu (TCG)''' (only an example), yet almost done of the pages are created!
    Last edited by Theryguy512; 3rd January 2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: making it clearer

Just out of curiosity, how do you create a bot?

Pokémon White

Bulbapedia's EspeonA Majestic Espeon's Avatar

[Bot name]: TitleBot

[Type of article]: Anime

[Bot function]: This bot will create redirects from the episode title to the episode number. Example - "Following a Maiden's Voyage" redirected to "DP001".

[Pages affected]: I suppose the episode articles without redirects.

[Reason]: If someone knows the title of the episode but not the episode number, this will make it easier for that person to look up the episode and get more information.

[Source Material]: The pages that have already been created...?

[Template Appearance]: N/A

The Tiger of Bengal Sher-e-Bengal's Avatar

[Type of article]: Movedex

[Bot function]: Update all the moves (all parts of the article) to Platinum standard.

[Bot/Template Name]: MoveUpdater

[Pages affected]: Move pages

[Reason]: Its too difficult to update all the TMs and HMs manually and so nobody is very much intent on updating them.

[Source Material]: Um...the existing pages maybe????

[Template Appearence]: N/A

DCM
    Blog Entries

[Type of article]:Userspace

[Bot function]: Welcome new users and warn users when they edit the user space more than three times in a day.

[Bot/Template Name]: DCMbot :D or Userbot.

[Pages affected]: I dont understand this category. User and User talk

[Reason]: Users are editing the user talk space way to much welcoming new users, in the case of Tavisource, or just so stop people from HOUNDING over users
    about going over the limit

[Source Material]: The Warning already made and the {{subst:welcome}} already made
    Last edited by DCM; 19th November 2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spacing it out
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

Guardian of Earth
    Blog Entries

How do you create a bot? I want to create one to use my acccount to do lots of mainspace contribs?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast