Pre-evolution Moves Template Question

Thread: Pre-evolution Moves Template Question

Default Pre-evolution Moves Template Question

Hi, all. I was creating a "By prior evolution" section for Gallade in Gen IV and had a couple questions:

1) All of my moves after the 1st one listed are surrounded in *asterisks*. Why is this?
    2) How do I add more than one pre-evolution (e.g. Ralts & Kirlia)? I played around with it and previewed a couple times, but it wasn't salvageable.

Here's the code I was using:

Code:
    ====By a prior [[evolution]]====
    {{Learnlist/prevoh|Gallade|Psychic|Fighting|4|1}}
    {{Learnlist/prevo4|280|Ralts|||||Calm Mind|Psychic|Status|—|—|20|Smart|0}}
    {{Learnlist/prevo4|280|Ralts|||||Charm|Normal|Status|—|—|20|Cute|2|*}}
    {{Learnlist/prevo4|280|Ralts|||||Future Sight|Psychic|Special|80|100|10|Smart|2|*}}
    {{Learnlist/prevo4|280|Ralts|||||Growl|Normal|Status|—|100|40|Cute|2|*}}
    {{Learnlist/prevo4|280|Ralts|||||Hypnosis|Psychic|Status|—|60|40|Smart|2|*}}
    {{Learnlist/prevo4|280|Ralts|||||Imprison|Psychic|Status|—|—|10|Smart|2|*}}
    {{Learnlist/prevof|Gallade|Psychic|Fighting|4|1}}
    I dug up the template for this section, but it wasn't very helpful. No context highlighting makes these things very difficult to decipher. Is there any way I can view the templates without all the inline CSS?

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pre-evolution Moves Template Question

Hey there. I'm the one in charge of the prevo moves project (such as it is), so thanks for lending a hand, and I'll see if I can answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by musicdemon View Post
    1) All of my moves after the 1st one listed are surrounded in *asterisks*. Why is this?
    That's because you have asterisks in the last variable of those lines. That variable actually controls whether a move is bolded or italicised - so putting ''' there would make the move bold, for example. Putting anything else there will result in the move name being surrounded by that thing.

2) How do I add more than one pre-evolution (e.g. Ralts & Kirlia)? I played around with it and previewed a couple times, but it wasn't salvageable.
    Right. You see those four empty variables after 'Ralts'? The dex number of the other Pokemon goes in the second one, and the name in the third. The variables immediately after a Pokemon's name are for special cases - entering an 'e', for example, would create a note explaining that a move is event exclusive.

Incidentally, I note you're listing moves alphabetically. The convention is actually to list them in the order they're learned (with moves available only to the first evo coming first, then moves available to both the first and second evos, then moves available to the second only, then finally event/tutor/Dream World moves. It gets complicated).

You also seem to be missing a move there: Magical Leaf. I have a master list of all prevo moves, but it's a 67-page word document, which might give you some idea of the size of this project.

I suggest you study the code of my existing tables if you want to get a feel for how they work. Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks! I mistakenly thought the asterisk in the end of the row was for the small hearts icon, and getting rid of the asterisk in all the rows seems to have worked.

Are all pre-evo moves going in the tables or only the ones learned after the level where the pokemon evolves into it's final form? For example, Gallade doesn't learn Growl, but Ralts learns it before it evolves. Should I include moves like that?

Also, if there aren't any listed in a generation or a contributor hasn't gotten to them yet, will the wiki know to insert a "null" generation pre-evo list or do those have to be inserted manually?

EDIT: Finished with Gallade for Gen IV: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gallade_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29/Generation_IV_learnset

EDIT 2: Veekun's "compare family" feature works especially well for seeing pre-evo moves and when they're learned.
    Last edited by musicdemon; 21st February 2011 at 02:19 PM.

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Thanks! I mistakenly thought the asterisk in the end of the row was for the small hearts icon, and getting rid of the asterisk in all the rows seems to have worked.

Are all pre-evo moves going in the tables or only the ones learned after the level where the pokemon evolves into it's final form?

Also, if there aren't any listed in a generation or a contributor hasn't gotten to them yet, will the wiki know to insert a "null" generation pre-evo list or do those have to be inserted manually?
    All moves that can be learned by a pre-evo that cannot be learned by that Pokémon should be listed, regardless of when or how the move is learned.

The null template must be inserted manually.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Are all pre-evo moves going in the tables or only the ones learned after the level where the pokemon evolves into it's final form?

What we're listing are moves that the evolution can't learn by any means other than via a pre-evolution. If the evolution doesn't learn a move by level-up, but gets it by TM, we don't list that move. So for Gallade, in both gen IV and V, the list is:

Growl
    Lucky Chant
    Magical Leaf
    Imprison
    Future Sight
    Charm
    Hypnosis

The null templates have to be put there manually. Have a look at Dugtrio's page for how it's done.

Thanks for the clarification. I removed Psychic, Dream Eater, and Calm Mind from both Gen IV and Gen V, since they're TM moves.

I know the template is already made, but I have a suggestion for you. Could the mouseover text for the icons of the pre-evo include what level the pre-evolution learns it so that it would save the reader from having to load up the pre-evo's page to see what level it's learned at? I know the dex number is included because the wiki has to format a link to the article, but maybe this could be an added parameter? I think it would add significantly to the usefulness of the table, and might even reduce pageloads :) What do you think?

I've made a userscript that changes the checkmark & move name to a user-specified color on veekun.com's pokemon family comparison pages. Basically, the script was made for easy visual identification of pre-evolution-only moves. Here's the logic for how items are highlighted:

1) Baby poke has a LEVEL-UP move unlearned by any evolutions
    a) Make sure move is not a TM or tutor move

2) Any other mid-evolution has a move unlearnable by a final evo (Caterpie, Weedle families)
    a) Make sure move is not a TM or tutor move

3) Any pre-evo has a TUTOR move unlearned by any evo (Murkrow in HG/SS)

Here's a screenshot of the script in action:

If you are using Firefox, you'll need Greasemonkey
    If you are using Chrome, you'll need Tampermonkey

Tell me what you think! Here's the link to the userscript.