Pokemon Black and White Trivia

Thread: Pokemon Black and White Trivia

Blog Entries

Default Pokemon Black and White Trivia

"Pokémon Black and White are the first first pair of games of a new generation to feature Pokémon sprite animations in battle. While they were present in Pokémon Crystal and Emerald, they were removed in the next pair of games released: Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire and Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, respectively."

Last I checked D/P had the animated sprites; They were NOT removed. Either that peice of trivia is false or it's stating something that isn't obvious enough.

Default Re: Pokemon Black and White Trivia

Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver ALL had animations. It was the first generation where the pokemon were constantly animated in battle, but in that case the bit on Crystal and Emerald is false. Either way, it's bad information.

Mister Insane

Quote Originally Posted by Kianglo View Post
    Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver ALL had animations. It was the first generation where the pokemon were constantly animated in battle, but in that case the bit on Crystal and Emerald is false. Either way, it's bad information.
    From the sprites that I've looked at (Mareep, Turtwig, and Starly), Platinum had animations, as did HeartGold and SoulSilver. However, none of the pages had animated sprites for Diamond and Pearl. Perhaps DP didn't animate them? (I never played Diamond or Pearl, so I can't check) Granted, I don't doubt the sprite information is fallible, but a preliminary check suggests that they didn't animate.
    Last edited by JoeMoron2000; 29th September 2010 at 06:03 PM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

DP did animate them. Bulbapedia doesn't have all of the DPPtHGSS sprites animated though.

Mister Insane

Quote Originally Posted by BoredPikachu! View Post
    DP did animate them. Bulbapedia doesn't have all of the DPPtHGSS sprites animated though.
    Fair enough :P

Blog Entries

Why nobody chooses to use .GIF for the 4th Gen sprites like they did with the Emerald sprites is what confuses me. If they use those files for Emerald's sprites why not any for the 4th gen?
    And as for the 4th Gen sprites in general, since most sites don't have them animated they have both frames for each sprite uploaded to show that they do animated, but they simply don't have the true sprites uploaded like they do with Emerald.
    Last edited by Ice Tyrant; 30th September 2010 at 05:15 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

4th gen uses more colours I believe, so using .gif would result in a loss of quality for them.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

FYI, Emerald sprites are going to be converted to APNG as well at some point.

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Quote Originally Posted by BoredPikachu! View Post
    I saw Palkia's DP animated sprite somewhere on Bulbapedia, i just don't remember where. Most pokemon either have none of their 4th gen sprites animated on their pages, or PtHGSS only. They mostly just keep DP's static sprite.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

It's whatever's uploaded at Spr 4d ###.png. Sometimes it's animated, sometimes it's not. Palkia and Dialga both have their DP sprites animated.

But you gotta understand. SIX. HUNDRED. FORTY. NINE. We're lucky if we have all the correct static sprites uploaded by the time a new game comes out, let alone animated.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Gifs can support up to 256 colours, and the DPPt sprites use about 15 maximum. Loss of quality isn't the issue, the issue is... actually, I don't know what the issue is. Holy crap, APNG is dumb.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    But you gotta understand. SIX. HUNDRED. FORTY. NINE. We're lucky if we have all the correct static sprites uploaded by the time a new game comes out, let alone animated.
    So it'll take about what, a month? That seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    Gifs can support up to 256 colours, and the DPPt sprites use about 15 maximum. Loss of quality isn't the issue, the issue is... actually, I don't know what the issue is. Holy crap, APNG is dumb.
    I think you were looking for the "APNG is dumb" thread... >_>
    Last edited by Zekurom; 1st October 2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: No, he ain't.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    I think you were looking for the "APNG is dumb" thread... >_>
    No, I was responding to Jello's statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    So it'll take about what, a month? That seems reasonable.
    A month? to make apng's for all the new BW sprites or the whole 649? Good luck with that o_o

So far, the only people I see in the upload log for apngs are me and a guy named Flare drive (no offense to anyone who did upload apngs and I didn't notice). I have about one free day a week now, and Flare drive doesn't seem too active. AND still the DPPtHGSS ones aren't done.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Decibel View Post
    A month? to make apng's for all the new BW sprites or the whole 649? Good luck with that o_o
    Or gifs for that matter...

...what we need is a program that can make uncompressed apng's. Then we can just run a batch script to compress them and voila. That would take much less than a month.

I can't do the apng's for the full-size sprites, but I could probably do it for the overworld sprites. (I'd need the pallettes, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    No, I was responding to Jello's statement.
    Oh. o_o
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.