Pocket Monsters Stadium Trainers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zoinkity

Thread: Pocket Monsters Stadium Trainers

Default Pocket Monsters Stadium Trainers

Alrighty. I've managed to extract the trainer data used for the tournament cup challenges in Pocket Monsters Stadium (as in the japanese-exclusive one). It's more interesting than you'd think.

cup trainer - Copy.txt
    (UTF-8 text document)

The first third of that file is the 50-55 Tournament Cup, based off the Nintendo Cup '98 finalists. Unlike normal POKE entries, these don't have a trainer type. Instead, they encoded the tournament the player won in order to enter the finals in this slot. Furthermore, it appears that their actual name is used in addition to their trainer name; this would be displayed on the matchup screen, before selecting teams.

Each pokémon is an exact snapshot of theirs when it was entered. In other words, you can see who they recieved theirs from, whatever goofy stat experience it had, etc. Many of the ones used are from in-game trades.

+_+

Anyway, the attached document does need some work before it can be formatted and entered on a theoretical page. The finalists' names need to be cross-referenced for verification/clarify spelling, the region names checked, and the (admittantly poor) translation could use a once-over (more like twice over).
    SnorlaxMonster likes this.

Default Re: Pocket Monsters Stadium Trainers

Been having a bit of trouble finding a list of the finalists in the competitions. Anyone know of a source.

However, did find a deleted (or more likely placeholder) feature in the main menu. It was called the Pokémon Park, and for all of you that thought it was awfully conspicuous that the game didn't have a trade feature, the description pretty much states that's what this was. The button would be where the logo is on the main menu, and the window is light green.

(If any of this is wrong, please, please correct it!)
    Header:
    ポケモンパーク Pokémon Park

Description:
    ゲームボーイの カートリッジから
    ポケモンを 64にあずける。
    ともだちとの こうかんも できる。
    Deposit Pokémon from your Gameboy cartridge on N64.
    You can also exchange with friends.

I can probably get the window and dialog box going again by removing the exception. There's dummy code linked to the confirmation window though, so instead of loading a feature it sits there doing nothing in an empty thread. That's pretty common for placeholder features.

So, likelihood of a disk system exclusive feature? Decent, but speculative. The way these 'official' disk expansions work is they replace the main executable (in this case the first 0x80000 of code) with a remarkably similar copy from the disk. This allows them to update with a newer build and simultaneously link new code--especially since new code from the disk requires a different kind of addressing scheme to pull it up. So, really, the expansions were similar builds to the original carts, and as such carts tended to have dummied-out features that would have real code in the disks. I guess you could say they weren't true expansions in that sense ;*)

Also, for anyone interested, you really can use all the other Pokémon with a tiny caveat: they can never faint! The non-42 all have limited animation sets. Some have physical or special attack animations along with injury animations, such as Weedle. All have the 'sitting there' animation used in the Pokédex. However, only the 42 selectable ones have a fainting animation. If you call an animation that isn't present, it uses the looping sitting there animation instead.
    A fainted Pokémon is only recalled when the fainting animation ends. However, if the sitting animation is used it loops endlessly. So, basically, they're too busy to die. Presuming you kill the animation externally or give them a valid animation, they would be perfectly usable. Otherwise, it might look awkward when they don't react to damage or don't use an attack animation, but they're all physically in the game, so to speak. Permitting Pokémon is a simple as a bitflag field.

The model format is fairly similar to the sequels, but the models were definitely recompiled between games. All the moves are present in order to support Metronome. As far as things go, the complete character set could probably be imported given effort.

Blog Entries

This is all very interesting information and certainly a very good insight to something as vaguely known as Pocket Monsters Stadium. I have to applaud you on your finds.

However, if no one minds me asking... I'm not too sure what this has to do with the Bulbapedia wiki? Other than maybe suggesting to add to a beta page of sorts, but I don't think Bulbapedia has pages on the beta of Stadium games, or any other game that isn't of the main series for that matter. Is that what you are suggesting?

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    However, if no one minds me asking... I'm not too sure what this has to do with the Bulbapedia wiki? Other than maybe suggesting to add to a beta page of sorts, but I don't think Bulbapedia has pages on the beta of Stadium games, or any other game that isn't of the main series for that matter. Is that what you are suggesting?
    If we have this kind of info, then we should. But I agree; rather than posting the info here, please put it on Bulbapedia.