BULBAPEDIA: In other languages

Thread: In other languages

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Default In other languages

I've noticed that "In other languages" is often a subsection of "Trivia". I really don't think this should be the case. Other language names are not trivial.

Also, mostly in character articles, "Names" is used instead of "In other languages". We really should just pick one (my preference is "In other languages") and be consistent with it.

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

Default Re: In other languages

i agree that "other names" should be used, nor in the trivia section. however, given the popularity of trivia, and the lack there-of for names, im inclined to keep trivia on top.
    granted, i bounced around some species pages, and found that "languages" is generally in its own section, and not a sub-section of trivia.

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

This issue was discussed before, and the result was the renaming of "In other language" section (in city and town articles) to "Name origin". Moving on, I don't really support "In other languages" on certain pages as the list usually includes the Japanese and English names (which isn't considered "others").

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 捷克羅姆 View Post
    This issue was discussed before, and the result was the renaming of "In other language" section (in city and town articles) to "Name origin". Moving on, I don't really support "In other languages" on certain pages as the list usually includes the Japanese and English names (which isn't considered "others").
    Now, I do remember that argument you linked, which reminds me of another one I saw once; a suggestion for changing the species pages (there was an argument somewhere else, but that is where the user suggested it). I agree with it, but I think the section should be called "Name origin". Also, if we do this, I would move "origin" out from under "Trivia", and keep "Name origin" as a subsection of it.

To clarify, I mean the structure would be this:
    ==Trivia==
    * This Pokémon is awesome

==Origin==
    This Pokémon is based on a lamp

===Name origin===
    <table goes here>
    Extending this, I think that if the table lists name origins, it should be called "Name origin"; if it just lists names, it should be called "In other languages", and not include English/Japanese.