BULBAPEDIA: Openable menus inaccessible on mobile browsers

Thread: Openable menus inaccessible on mobile browsers

Registered User golgothasTerror's Avatar

Default Openable menus inaccessible on mobile browsers

I was browsing Bulbapedia on my 3DS browser trying to figure out where to buy herbal medicine and the [Show] link to show information and locations didn't appear. I had to view the source (which was really inconvenient since I had to move the screen sideways to be able to scroll down in the textarea box).

With the new generation of games being on a system that has a built-in web browser, Bulbapedia could really benefit from being made mobile-friendly. Unless you want everyone to do as I did and visit Serebii instead. (Which I would have had to do anyway since Bulbapedia didn't even have the information, but it's the principle of the thing.)

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Openable menus inaccessible on mobile browsers

Those links are javascript, and they do take longer to load than the rest of the page. I've been doing a lot of browsing on my phone lately and I've found they often take a minute or two after the rest of the page has loaded. You may find waiting a little longer makes them apart, but it's not a definite fix.

That said, it's definitely something we need to look into. I assume the template in question was the one on the item page? If I remember right, those were set to default to closed, due to issues with section links ending up in the wrong place. But access issues trump that, so it'll have to default to open.

EDIT: I have adjusted the template so that it is open by default. This should mean that if the javascript is not working it should remain open and viewable.
    Last edited by Werdnae; 31st October 2013 at 10:22 PM.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Werdnae View Post
    EDIT: I have adjusted the template so that it is open by default. This should mean that if the javascript is not working it should remain open and viewable.
    When you made that edit, you missed a couple of relevant "display: none" attributes. (Perhaps you were only searching for "display:none" and missed the instances of "display: none", with a space.) Both can be found by simply searching the template source for style="display: none"; both such instances should be removed.

The problem can be nicely illustrated if you visit the Evolutionary stone page with and without Javascript enabled. Without Javascript enabled, only the Description section shows up (when the Water and Oval Stones have Effect, Secondary effect, Locations, and Description sections). This is because the Effect and Locations sections are hidden by the first display:none style, and the Secondary effect is hidden by the second one. With Javascript enabled, all of the item's sections show up properly when you click "Show" (and are properly hidden otherwise; and this remains true if you remove the aforementioned display:none styles).

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Thanks for pointing that out, I've fixed it now. And you're right, that's exactly how I did it, and why I missed those. I'll have to be more careful in future.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.