Nidoran?

Thread: Nidoran?

Default Nidoran?

According to this website, NidoranM and NidoranF are the same Pokémon, only with gender differences, like Hippowdon. However, both NidoranM and NidoranF occupy different National Dex numbers, along with ALL Dexes. Not to mention, NidoranM evolves (eventually) into NidoKING, and NidoranF evolves (eventually) into NidoQUEEN. Something tells me that these are different Pokémon... Could someone please change this?
    Nidoking:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/nessamoore/Pokemon/nidoking.png
    Nidoqueen:
    http://pokeds.com/images/sugimori/dp_artwork/31.png
    NidoranM:
    http://www.freewebs.com/edjsitnek/nidoran(male).jpg
    NidoranF:
    http://www.freewebs.com/edjsitnek/nidoran(female).jpg

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nidoran?

At the time of their creation, Gender wasn't a full mechanic in the games. R/B/Y didn't have gender at all, but Nidoran's lines existed either way. It wasn't until Gold and Silver that gender became a full mechanic, but the two lines stayed seperate instead of merging the two basic stages into one Pokemon whose evolution differed by gender, a concept you'd see later in certain 4th Gen Pokemon such as Burmy. Both Nidorans show how much the series has progressed, as both mechanics shown in each line weren't seen until a few generations later, such as Gender as stated above and even gender differences.

"Welcome, my comrades, to my frozen abyss.~"
    Anime Characters Claimed: Mighty, Shirobon, Shout (Bomberman Jetters)

Blog Entries

As far as game mechanics are concerned, the male and female lines are different Pokemon. As you said, they have differing Pokedex numbers. Also, they have distinct differences in stat distribution, something that most Pokemon with gender differences do not have (and even if they have gender specific evolutions, for most of them this doesn't take place until they evolve into that gender-specific evolution). I would liken the Nidos to the Latis in a sense: yes, one could argue that they're the same species in series lore, but as far as game mechanics are concerned, they are distinct entities.

Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.

Blog Entries

^ Agreed; but doesn't the Wiki already indicate that, though? I'm confused as to what exactly this request is wanting changed.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

They're only still different because Game Freak's not about to retcon the entire Pokédex from 30 onward. Next time we get a game where no Pokémon can be transferred forward like RSE was, maybe they'll fix it, but it's doubtful since they didn't fix it then.

It's the same reason one out of four female Azurill become male Marill. They can't change it because the games are still compatible with the past games, and it's better that it changes with evolution because of their screwup than with transfer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    It's the same reason one out of four female Azurill become male Marill. They can't change it because the games are still compatible with the past games, and it's better that it changes with evolution because of their screwup than with transfer.
    But they created that problem in Ruby and Sapphire, which weren't compatible with the previous games; they didn't have to give Azurill a different gender ratio. Also, considering that Pal Park Pokémon retained their abilities even in cases where their personality value corresponded to a new ability, gender wouldn't have to change upon transfer, either.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

That's because ability's not even concrete. You can make a Pikachu have Overgrow in DPPtHGSS, and it won't get Static until it evolves. Ability's something floaty that's calculated based on PV on generation of the Pokémon, while gender is tied directly to the PV permanently.

And as for the Azurill thing, yeah, they created it with RS, which is why I called it a screwup. The reason it's not been fixed yet is because even BW can still have Pokémon caught in RS.

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

Even if the question being asked made sense, we wouldn't be able to change anything. We aren't able to go and change what has already been made official by the Pokémon company. Not only that, but it would be wrong if we did that, because it wouldn't be accurate information on the Pedia.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

it is to say that fixing Azurill's gender ratio would cause significantly less hoopla than merging two Pokemon into one.

The nidos are different species that are always one gender and never the other,and are capable of interbreeding. simple.

From what I gather, Nidos are a single species that exhibits a very high degree of gender dimorphism when contrasted to most mons, except the likes of Tauros/Miltank. That they evolve the same way and share the same overall physiological traits across evolution levels strengthens this idea. They have different 'dex numbers, but I don't recall any single point in canon where it is specified that one 'dex slot == one species, let alone because of the high availability of Hot Skitty on Wailord Action.

However the Nidos are not going to be retconned into one 'dex listing (per evolution level) anytime soon because, among other things, they learn different attacks by gender, so that mechanic has to be implemented in-game too. Besides, it's better that way -- perhaps one day for example the Unows can learn one particular attack per letter.