BULBAPEDIA: Moves In Mystery Dungeon

Thread: Moves In Mystery Dungeon

Blog Entries

Default Moves In Mystery Dungeon

I just looked through some of the attacks and the entries for PMD are totally inconsistent. I have found at least three different variations on how they are done.

Is there a standard for how moves in PMD should be listed? Also, PMD uses a different damage and accuracy "rating" than the main games (represented by stars). Should that be mentioned as well (despite not being able to fully compute the meaning of the stars)?
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Moves In Mystery Dungeon

As far as I'm aware, we don't currently have a standard for the MD sections of move pages.

I don't suppose someone could have a look at the coding and determine how the stars are converted to base power and accuracy numbers (or vice versa) by the game?

Personally, I think the MD effects, where different to the main series games, should be listed as a sub-section of the events section. I'm definitely open for discussion on this point. I'll look at adding a spot for the statistics in the infobox, but that'll have to wait at least until the server load to decrease - editing a high-use template puts additional strain on the server.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

I've tried to add MD sections to moves and abilities for quite some time, but the Bulbapedia editors in the past had quickly reverted it. Since then I've boycotted editing of Bulbapedia. I might start again seeing that most of the Bulbapedia editors who were in charge are now gone.

Anyways, base power in MD1 is added onto a Pokémon's attack/special attack after Flash Fire and Deoxys formes activate, but before all other attack/special attack modifiers. (Thus, a Pokémon with 999 attack will do the same amount of damage with every attack regardless of the attack's BP.)

Base power in MD2 is done entirely differently, due to the calculated attack/special attack also factoring in to a log factor in the damage formula which also depends on the level of the attacker. Again, base power is affected by stat modifiers (but this time, it's affected by all stat modifiers, including Flash Fire and Deoxys formes).

The net effect is that, as calculated attack / special attack is bounded above by 999, a physical move's base power is largely irrelevant (ie. still relevant in the event of massive stat drops) on a Pokémon with 999 attack in MD1, for example (it is slightly more relevant in MD2, but again, beyond a certain point BP becomes a small factor due to the fact that BP is rarely above 15).

An additional note is that all moves in MD/MD2 have a base critical rate that needs to be added to the infobox, as well as the fact that the PP and accuracy of a move is often times wildly different from the main series games.

Quote Originally Posted by Werdnae View Post
    As far as I'm aware, we don't currently have a standard for the MD sections of move pages.
    When I tried to edit in MD info, it always got reverted for not being true to the main series. The editors at that time seemingly had an anti-MD bias (for example, the "Damage modification" page spins off the MD section which is in turn trashed a whole lot - it's also inaccurate to boot since type effectiveness is wildly different in MD1 and MD2).

Personally, I think the MD effects, where different to the main series games, should be listed as a sub-section of the events section. I'm definitely open for discussion on this point. I'll look at adding a spot for the statistics in the infobox, but that'll have to wait at least until the server load to decrease - editing a high-use template puts additional strain on the server.
    The jury's still out on that one. It makes sense for attacks that are radically different (such as Roar, since it's Blowback attack in MD, or Beat Up, which reunites the team), but not so much for others (such attacks which use self-inflicted status such as Vital Throw or SolarBeam). It's more moderate for attacks somewhere in between (Flail, which is 8x BP if 25% HP or less, 4x if under half, and 2x if under 3/4).

Quote Originally Posted by Werdnae View Post
    I don't suppose someone could have a look at the coding and determine how the stars are converted to base power and accuracy numbers (or vice versa) by the game?
    Just like IQ, the star system is just a way to hide the actual numbers, as you may have imagined. Serebii has the MD2 stats (except range and target, and various "small flags") of all "actual" moves (ie. those which don't exist just for the purposes of orbs) except Wide Slash and Vacuum-Cut (as neither attack are learned by anyone by levelup, but the latter is a fixed-damage attack), while UPC has the MD1 stats of all moves (even those which only exist as orbs).