Mobility Types in MD

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Werdnae

Thread: Mobility Types in MD

Default Mobility Types in MD

Bulbapedia is missing the Mobility Type information in the MD sections of Pokémon articles.

Mobility Type determines what kinds of terrain Pokémon may enter. There are 5 Mobility Types in the game.

Normal: the standard type.
    Water: Can enter water tiles. Unless specifically excluded, Water-type Pokémon are in this category.
    Fire: Can enter magma tiles. Unless specifically excluded, Fire-type Pokémon are in this category.
    Flying: Can enter all tiles except walls. Unless specifically excluded, Flying-type Pokémon and levitating Pokémon are in this category.
    Ghost: Can enter all tiles. Unless specifically excluded, Ghost-type Pokémon are in this category.

Because of the various overlaps, there are specific exceptions to the above. For example, Beedrill is Flying mobility despite not Flying-type or levitating, Charizard is Fire despite the Flying type, Gastly is Ghost despite levitation, Fearow is Normal despite the Flying type, and so on.

(I have Mobility Type info for MD1 but not MD2, so this info is only valid for MD1.)

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mobility Types in MD

I can add a mobility parameter to the sidegame information template which is on each Pokémon's page, but because it's on at least 493 pages I'll have to wait until the wiki's quiet time before it can be changed. Otherwise it'll crash the servers as it updates on every page, given they're still under very high load from BW.

In the meantime, you're welcome to start adding it to the Pokémon pages. It won't show up until the template's changed, but once it is it will show up. I'll set it to default to "Unknown" when it isn't specified, to make it easier to check that they are showing correctly.

Put mobility=(mobility group name) |

If anyone has the MD2 mobility types, I can add that to the template as well. If they do, it would be helpful to know, are there any that have changed?
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

It's not that simple, as held items and IQ skills may alter mobility types just as abilities affect type affinity. For example, Altaria is Normal (despite Flying-type), but gets All-Terrain Hiker in MD2, which grants Flying type mobility (overriding existing mobility), with sufficient IQ (the Mobile Scarf and Mobile Orb allow Ghost type mobility, while Super Mobile in MD1 defies mobility type altogether). So before the infobox can be updated, there may need to be some planning.

(On a related note, Gummi affinity should be added as well for MD1 and MD2, as even though it's based on type affinity with one notable exception, it's not readily apparent through the type affinity chart alone.)

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Board of editorsBulbapedia StaffArchives Advisor
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

I would say that we should include their base mobility. We don't put that Pokémon can be Water-type if hit by Soak next to their types, so why would we do it for held items in PMD?

Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post
    I would say that we should include their base mobility. We don't put that Pokémon can be Water-type if hit by Soak next to their types, so why would we do it for held items in PMD?
    Except that All-Terrain Hiker is not a held item, it's an IQ skill. And previously we had stuff like "Pokémon takes 2x damage if Gravity is under effect" in the main series before the "under normal conditions" thing. Furthermore, just like in the Swablu -> Altaria case (or Duskull -> Dusclops to a lesser extent), an IQ skill can make up for loss in mobility upon evolution.

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

The way I see that, the IQ skill overwrites the 'default' for the species. It's that 'default' that should be listed. There probably should be a page somewhere to explain that mechanic and talk about the IQ skill overwriting it though. Not sure what it would be best to call it.
    yourlilemogirl likes this.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

...and I wouldn't argue with that, since quite a bit of grinding is needed to raise IQ to the appropriate level. I'd first consider whether the footnote is necessary, though (especially in MD2 since not all Pokémon can get All-Terrain Hiker, and only Palkia gets Absolute Mover).

I'm also wondering if a bot can be commissioned for this undertaking, rather than having one person manually edit almost 500 pages. The number of exceptions is small compared to the number of Pokémon, so it might be easier to program a bot for this job.