A merger - Page 2

View Poll Results: Class merger: how do we carry it out?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Merge Grunt, Executive, and Boss

9 20.93%
  • Merge Grunt and Executive, not Boss

7 16.28%
  • Merge Grunt, not Executive and Boss

3 6.98%
  • Merge Grunt and Boss, not Executive

0 0%
  • Merge Executive, not Grunt and Boss

0 0%
  • Merge Executive and Boss, not Grunt

2 4.65%
  • Merge Boss, not Grunt and Executive

0 0%
  • Merge none of them

9 20.93%
  • I am an idiot

13 30.23%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A merger

It's what I do MisterE13's Avatar Archives JuniorBulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow MisterE13 On Twitter
    Visit MisterE13's Youtube Channel

Default Re: A merger

Wait, so what do MysticalMan and Thug redirect to in your perfect world TTE?

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

So basically... we'd have a page that has like three trainer class pages in one? And then a link to the Boss' and Team's page?

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MisterE13 View Post
    Wait, so what do MysticalMan and Thug redirect to in your perfect world TTE?
    Eusine and Zook, respectively.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

It's what I do MisterE13's Avatar Archives JuniorBulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow MisterE13 On Twitter
    Visit MisterE13's Youtube Channel

OK good, I thought he was suggesting a page titled List of one-off Trainer classes that the would all redirect to.

Beware: wall of text, but please read =D

I'm not necessarily against merging some of these articles into other pages, but I don't think central pages for Grunts/Executives/Bosses are the best. The information they share (for grunts: they are underlings, unnamed, and weak) is very little compared to what they don't (appearance, Pokémon used, general goal, appearances in animé or manga...) The Team structure similarities (generic, unnamed grunts; separate, named executives*; one boss) could be simply listed in the Villainous teams pages and that would be it.
    *As of the latest versions, at least.

Instead, here is what I think should be done with the pages and why:

EXECUTIVES
    All executive articles (except the Team Rocket one) are just very small lists of related characters that are otherwise related through, well, their actual Team. Any info on Aqua Admin/Magma Admin/Commander would go over better either on Team ___'s page or the individual character's. Team Rocket's executives are a little bit more complicated, with more and different members across media including generic GSC execs, Sabrina, Surge and Koga, Keane and Charmaine, and the HGSS execs.
    SO: Keep "Rocket executives" separate, merge Aqua Admin/Magma Admin/Commander into their respective team's page.

GRUNTS
    Grunts are not lists of members unlike execs, they have common characteristics that can be described such as appearance, Pokémon used, or even whatever basic personality they have (such as Galactic Grunts following Cyrus blindly or Rocket Grunts being petty thieves) that can be clearly separated from the team itself. This is pretty similar to other classes
    SO: Keep all grunt pages, though expand them more.

BOSSES
    "Boss" can refer to any boss, though "Galactic Boss" or "Aqua Leader" only to Cyrus and Archie respectively, for example.
    SO: "Boss" becomes a disambig pointing to Giovanni, Cyrus, Archie, and Maxie. All other boss redirects stay as they are.

Somewhat relatedly, I'd like to bring to your attention that we have TWO pages for Rocket execs (Executive (Trainer class) and Team Rocket executives and administrators), Aqua execs (Aqua Admin and Subleaders of the Sea Scheme), AND Magma execs (Magma Admin and FireHeads). We should do something about it while we're at it IMO, whatever we decide at the end.

TL;DR
    Do not merge Grunts, Executives, Bosses; keep the individual grunt pages and Rocket Executives; merge the rest of the teams' execs into the respective Team pages. Boss is a disambig to all bosses, while other boss redirects stay as they are.

Blog Entries

Would this strip the executives and bosses of their own pages? I'm getting desperately confused.

Quote Originally Posted by RegiRuler View Post
    Would this strip the executives and bosses of their own pages? I'm getting desperately confused.
    Not for each individual, no. We would eliminate the Commander article (for example) but keep Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Charon in their own articles.

Basically, each individual character (Giovanni, Maxie, Shelly, Jupiter, Ariana, etc.) keep their own article, as they are now.

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MisterE13 View Post
    I was pretty close to choosing the idiot option for the lulz but would rather my voice be heard :P.
    This.

I frankly don't see the need for a merger at the time being. There aren't any navigation problems with the articles, in that they're all easy to find, and things that that simply shouldn't be grouped together for space's sake.

I mean, if there's some other reason for a merger, that's fine. But we have oodles of stubs, and they're not really a problem in my mind. Merging articles is being used as a solution to various problems too much, and I'm not a fan. Part of a wiki's beauty is having seperate articles on lots of things, even if they are short.

Just my opinion.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    We'd still have the redirects, correct?

(I misunderstood the poll, sosumi )

For the Boss trainer class, I'd say merge the actual trainers into one page and provide links to all five bosses and their individual pages.

So we'd have the page "Boss (trainer class)" and four infoboxes for the current trainers that fall into that class - Giovanni, Maxie, Archie, and Cyrus.
    Now I feel like I need to bring up something that may come across as needlessly nitpicky, but bear with me. Does "Boss" only apply if it's their trainer class? What does that mean for characters like Madame Boss, who never appears in the games? Or characters like Blake Hall, who're in a game and serve all the functions of those other bosses but don't have a trainer class? And then there's Saturn who ends up in charge after Cyrus leaves, but is never officially called the Boss.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

This is for the actual Trainer classes. The individual levels of hierarchy are better placed on the team's page.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, for official decisions like these, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to have a joke option. It's currently the most popular out of the bunch.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately it is. But eh. The EB and I have come to a judgment, and we're gonna leave the articles separate.

However, for the one-off Trainer classes, I indeed have the intention to make a list of them, redirecting the class names to that article, rather than to the individual characters. Because. Meh. Just seems tacky to do that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12