A merger

View Poll Results: Class merger: how do we carry it out?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Merge Grunt, Executive, and Boss

9 20.93%
  • Merge Grunt and Executive, not Boss

7 16.28%
  • Merge Grunt, not Executive and Boss

3 6.98%
  • Merge Grunt and Boss, not Executive

0 0%
  • Merge Executive, not Grunt and Boss

0 0%
  • Merge Executive and Boss, not Grunt

2 4.65%
  • Merge Boss, not Grunt and Executive

0 0%
  • Merge none of them

9 20.93%
  • I am an idiot

13 30.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A merger

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default A merger

No, not of Bulbapedia into something. But I bet I got your attention.

I'm talking a merger of the Grunt, Executive, and Boss Trainer class articles.

As you may know, before BW, I intend to move all Trainer class articles to X (Trainer class), since we should really have them there anyway. Makes for consistency and not so many switch statements.

The problem is... the evil teams' Trainer classes. Unlike the others, like Hikers and Lasses, who are programmed, for example, in with the class of Hiker and the name of Parry, we've got a class of Rocket and a name of Grunt. The same goes for Aqua, Magma, Galactic, and we can assume Plasma.

Since Grunts have such little characterization in the games, anime, and more or less any other media, why should we have completely separate articles for four (soon five) classes which are exactly the same, and little more than the different games' versions? It'd be like separating Gambler and Gamer, or CoolTrainer and Ace Trainer.

For the Executive class, known for Aqua/Magma as Aqua Admin and Magma Admin, and for Galactic as Commander... they have the same Japanese name, again with the exception of their team name. These characters get a little more characterization, but they each have their own articles for the individuals. So why not merge the classes?

Finally, the bosses. Each boss class (Galactic Boss, Rocket Boss, Magma Leader, Aqua Leader) currently redirects to the person in charge (Cyrus, Giovanni, Maxie, Archie). That I say we do away with anyway, instead redirecting one-off classes to a list of Trainer classes with only one member, or some other multiple-class list, such as Hall Matron (Trainer class) redirecting to Frontier Brain (Trainer class). Combine the four (soon five) Boss classes into one page, and go from there.

So yeah. Combine Grunt, Executive, and Boss pages, or no?

It's what I do MisterE13's Avatar Archives JuniorBulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow MisterE13 On Twitter
    Visit MisterE13's Youtube Channel

Default Re: A merger

I was pretty close to choosing the idiot option for the lulz but would rather my voice be heard :P.

I'm rather partial to redirecting the one-off classes but go right ahead for Grunt and Executive.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I mean that the Bosses would be grouped as one, but stuff like MysticalMan would be redirected to the one-off list.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I'm for combining all of them, since the characters themselves have pages anyways.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

It's what I do MisterE13's Avatar Archives JuniorBulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

I even prefer linking to the page rather than a list :/

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

For the Boss page, it'd probably end up looking like the Commander pages currently does. For the others, it'd be divided into sections.

Blog Entries

Come to think of it, if Plan B is a list of one-off classes, I'm up for merging as many as we can and keeping them off said list.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We'd still have the redirects, correct?

(I misunderstood the poll, sosumi )

For the Boss trainer class, I'd say merge the actual trainers into one page and provide links to all five bosses and their individual pages.

So we'd have the page "Boss (trainer class)" and four infoboxes for the current trainers that fall into that class - Giovanni, Maxie, Archie, and Cyrus.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Redirects would exist, of course. Rocket Executive, Galactic Commander, etc.

Blog Entries

Dont merge them. THEY ARE DISTINCT...

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

How?

They have nearly the same name in Japanese, and exactly the same role.

Blog Entries

Not really. I mean, Grunts are generic nobodys, Executives are ditinct, important members of the team, and the boss is the head honcho, the big man, the big cheese.....

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by minimag View Post
    Not really. I mean, Grunts are generic nobodys, Executives are ditinct, important members of the team, and the boss is the head honcho, the big man, the big cheese.....
    I misunderstood that too. We're not merging the classes by organization, we're merging them by hierarchical level.

That means that we'd have one "Grunt" page for Rocket Grunts, Magma/Aqua Grunts, and Galactic Grunts all in one. Ditto for Executives and Bosses.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Well, it's not like they aren't merged by organization... the pages on the teams say basically the same stuff.

Blog Entries

Oh, then I agree with this. However, I think we should keep the execcutive and boss pages...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast