BULBAPEDIA: Masuda Method Question

Thread: Masuda Method Question

Add Scratched Disk on Facebook
    Follow Scratched Disk on Tumblr

Default Masuda Method Question

Best way to ask is to give an example of what I'm currently doing: Right now I'm trying to hatch for a shiny Ponyta in White 1. I have my Ponyta (US version) and a Ditto (Japan). Though what's different is that this Ditto was one that I originally got through a trade in my Platinum Version, then transferred over to White. I've hatched 3360 so far with no results. So my question is, would the fact that the Ditto is a Platinum Japan version affect the outcome? I'm just wondering as 3360 hatches and counting is really bumming me out, and I wish to know if I'm doing this all in vain!

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Masuda Method Question

The chance of each egg being shiny is near enough to random odds, and they can be considered independent. A 1/3360 chance means that, on average, you should get 3359 non-shiny ones for every shiny. But even if you've hatched a million non-shiny eggs, the next egg still only has a 1 in 3360 chance of being shiny. The chance of 3360 non-shiny eggs in a row is (1 - (1/3360)) raised to the power of 3360 (i.e. multiplied by itself 3360 times). This works out to be a pretty lofty 0.368, meaning that there's about a 37% chance of that happening. This means that if you may well be doing everything right.

For perspective: There's a 5.1% chance that you would still not have a shiny egg after you've hatched ten thousand eggs from a valid Masuda method pair in Generation V. (Prior to Gen V the chance at 10,000 was still 19.6%). Not using the Masuda method, the chance of not having a shiny egg is 29.5%
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Add Scratched Disk on Facebook
    Follow Scratched Disk on Tumblr

Default Re: Masuda Method Question

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!