Just Wondering...

Thread: Just Wondering...

Default Just Wondering...

Hello Everyone!
    I'm glad to see that this Forum is doing ok, everyone looks pretty lively with a lot of activity.
    Much like this Wiki, I am part of another Wiki for a Pokemon MMORPG which I wont say any names in case there's a rule against that.
    Anyways though, as of right now our Wiki is ok looking, we mainly use simple HTML and tables to sort much of our things such as trainers and catchable pokemon, however I noticed that the Bulbapedia site uses a lot Templates and such to do mainly all of their things. I was wondering if it was OK if used these templates (even though I hardly know how to use them, and it looks like I need a lot of different templates to use just one larger template to work) and modified them to suit my own need such as removing and adding different kinds of information which are relevant or non-relevant to our Game. Thanks, I will check back in tomorrow to see the responses.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just Wondering...

Hiya!

Welcome to the community and have a marvelous time at BMGf!

Happy posting

Moved to the Bulbapedia forum.

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I'll have to discuss it with some other admins before I give you a definitive answer. However I am going to have to ask you to remove the ones that you have already taken, as they are not being used as per the terms of Bulbapedia's license. This means their use on your wiki as it is currently is actually illegal.

Edit: After discussing it, we would prefer that you not use our templates, even if the licensing issue gets sorted, due to our previous experiences with the site.
    Last edited by Werdnae; 7th June 2012 at 07:10 AM.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

Seems a little redundant to ask if you can use our templates, after already illegally using our templates.
    Moreover, why would you want your wiki to look exactly like ours? It would be far more beneficial to make unique templates.
    However, a main issue with working together is that Pokemon MMORPGs are fan made, and therefor illegal, and Bulbagarden does not, nor do we want to, associate with illegal properties.

Sorry, had been out for a while and didn't remember about this.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNEDETH View Post
    Seems a little redundant to ask if you can use our templates, after already illegally using our templates.
    Moreover, why would you want your wiki to look exactly like ours? It would be far more beneficial to make unique templates.
    However, a main issue with working together is that Pokemon MMORPGs are fan made, and therefor illegal, and Bulbagarden does not, nor do we want to, associate with illegal properties.
    Not sure if you read my post or simply skimmed through it, but when did I say I had "already" used these templates? I said I had taken a look at them as anyone can through the source code. And Again, I said I would modify them and not use the exact same ones to make them more unique to our own preferences, simply using your templates as well... "templates". As far as the main issue though, I can understand that, I'm only a regular user that edits the wiki as are probably most of the people here in Bulbapedia, and so I just want to point out the my views don't reflect that of the Staff etc, etc, all those formalities. ~This Topic may be closed, preferably not ending with a smart-remark that I can't reply to. Thanks. :s

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntiKing View Post
    Sorry, had been out for a while and didn't remember about this.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNEDETH View Post
    Not sure if you read my post or simply skimmed through it, but when did I say I had "already" used these templates? I said I had taken a look at them as anyone can through the source code. And Again, I said I would modify them and not use the exact same ones to make them more unique to our own preferences, simply using your templates as well... "templates". As far as the main issue though, I can understand that, I'm only a regular user that edits the wiki as are probably most of the people here in Bulbapedia, and so I just want to point out the my views don't reflect that of the Staff etc, etc, all those formalities. ~This Topic may be closed, preferably not ending with a smart-remark that I can't reply to. Thanks. :s
    Google is a wonderful thing. We found your edits. Those were clearly still our templates at the time.

There's nothing wrong with looking at the source code to figure out how it works. But directly copying even a portion of the code violates the terms of our license. Any modifications you're speaking of must come before you initially save them, not after.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.