Incase anyone cares.
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Incase anyone cares.

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Incase anyone cares.

    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Catch_rate

    I saw the formula on that page and I made myself a page that can calculate the rates and tell me how many pokeballs I should bring. I thought it would be greedy if I didn't share.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7032543/pokeCatchRate.html

    Use it..or don't.

  2. #2
    is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    108

    Default Re: Incase anyone cares.

    There are thousands of resources like that on the Internet... but thanks for sharing yours with us.

    Also, your formula gave me an 85% chance of catching a Pokemon with a base rate of 85 and a HP of 0, when it should be 33.3%.

    Secondly, the number of Poké Balls that you recommend will give approximately a 63.2% chance of catching the Pokémon successfully. If that's what you were aiming for, great. But if not, might want to hit the books again to calculate the number of tries it would take to have a 90% or 95% probability, which is a bit more useful.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 15th November 2010 at 05:51 PM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Incase anyone cares.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    Also, your formula gave me an 85% chance of catching a Pokemon with a base rate of 85 and a HP of 0, when it should be 33.3%.
    This is the verbatim formula I put in my code. Which unless I'm mistaken is an accurate translation from the wiki's page.

    Code:
    var rate=3*maxhealth-2*currenthealth;
    rate*=catchrate;
    rate*=pokeball;
    rate/=3*maxhealth;
    rate*=status;
    I can't see why that be giving off strange percentages.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    Secondly, the number of Poké Balls that you recommend will give approximately a 63.2% chance of catching the Pokémon successfully. If that's what you were aiming for, great. But if not, might want to hit the books again to calculate the number of tries it would take to have a 90% or 95% probability, which is a bit more useful.
    I was going for a 100% chance. If it's a 10% chance that you'll catch the pokemon I was recommending you bring 10 pokeballs.

  4. #4
    is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    108

    Default Re: Incase anyone cares.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubutas View Post
    This is the verbatim formula I put in my code. Which unless I'm mistaken is an accurate translation from the wiki's page.

    Code:
    var rate=3*maxhealth-2*currenthealth;
    rate*=catchrate;
    rate*=pokeball;
    rate/=3*maxhealth;
    rate*=status;
    I can't see why that be giving off strange percentages.
    Because the catch rate is out of 255 and not 100. You need to use (catchrate / 2.55) instead of just catchrate.

    I was going for a 100% chance. If it's a 10% chance that you'll catch the pokemon I was recommending you bring 10 pokeballs.
    Yeah, sorry, it doesn't work that way. The way you have it now gives you a 63.2% chance. (It's larger for smaller numbers like 2 or 3, but the smaller the chance of one Pokéball catching the monster gets, the closer the number gets to 63.2%. To explain it would require calculus, so I won't delve too far into it.)

    *edit* Actually, screw that. I will try my best.

    Let's take the example of a 50% catch rate. By your formula, you should bring 2 Pokéballs. However, bringing 2 Pokéballs will result in a 75% chance of successfully catching the Pokémon, not a 100% chance. This is because the chance of failure is (50%)2, or 25%. Both balls must fail in order for the catch to fail - if at least one ball succeeds, then the catch has succeeded.

    Now, let's take the case of a 1% catch rate. By your formula, you should bring 100 Pokéballs. However, the chance of failure this time is (99%)100, or about 36.6%, giving a success rate of about 63.4%.
    Last edited by Zekurom; 15th November 2010 at 06:47 PM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Incase anyone cares.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    Yeah, sorry, it doesn't work that way. The way you have it now gives you a 63.2% chance. (It's larger for smaller numbers like 2 or 3, but the smaller the chance of one Pokéball catching the monster gets, the closer the number gets to 63.2%. To explain it would require calculus, so I won't delve too far into it.)
    I'm only in pre-calc, so I wouldn't want you to explain it to me. Is there any way to make it more accurate without a ton of more work?


    *edit*
    That seems familiar. And that makes sense, but I just wouldn't know the formula for fixing it.
    Last edited by Tubutas; 15th November 2010 at 07:01 PM.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Incase anyone cares.

    My attempt
    Last edited by Tubutas; 15th November 2010 at 07:18 PM.

  7. #7
    is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    108

    Default Re: Incase anyone cares.

    Okay, so if c is the catch rate, and p is the desired probability of success, what you want is B = log(1-c)(1-p).

    This is so that the probability of all of the balls not working (1-c) is equal to the desired probability of the event not occurring (1-p).
    Last edited by Zekurom; 15th November 2010 at 11:39 PM.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Incase anyone cares.

    After hours of calculations....

    Code:
    tries=(Math.log(1-rate*.01)-log(1-0.90))/Math.log(1-rate*.01);
    Is what I came up with. Is that in the right direction at all?

    *edit*

    Well I think thats right, thanks for all the help Zodiac.
    Last edited by Tubutas; 15th November 2010 at 08:11 PM.

  9. #9
    is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    108

    Default Re: Incase anyone cares.

    I'd write it as:

    Code:
    tries = Math.log(1-0.90)/Math.log(1-rate*.01);
    Which is simpler.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

  10. #10
    Slooooooow DUniverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Gotherburg, Sweden
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy Re: Incase anyone cares.

    Sorry, It didn't work for me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •