Disambiguation pages
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disambiguation pages

Post Disambiguation pages

There are too many disambiguation pages on the wiki. Many names of Pokemon are disambig pages, like Togepi or Primeape. They say things like, "There is the Pokemon called 'Togepi,' and there is Misty's Togepi." Anyone searching Togepi or Primeape would probably be looking for the species. On the top of every Pokemon article there should be something like, "This article is about the species. For Brock's Pokemon, see 'Brock's Primeape.'" What does everyone else think?

This has been discussed many times before. I am sure that as soon as we change it, another group of users will start complaining.
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Why would they complain? Having so many disambiguation pages only makes things more confusing. Another example: the Flying disambiguation page. There are two things people could be looking for: the Flying-type of Pokemon, and the "Flying egg group, which encompasses mostly birdlike Pokémon." Who would be looking for the Flying egg group? Even if someone were looking for that page, it would take just as long to put a link to it on the Flying (type) page. If anyone would complain if this change were made, say it.

and do you have a plan for when there is more than one of each. No, you don't...what about Bulbasaur: There is May's and ther is Ash's. We are trying to limit coding on the species pages because they grow bigger and bigger with new games being released and new anime appearences. It is better to be consisteant and leave it like it is...there isn't a problem with the way it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moldy Orange View Post
    and do you have a plan for when there is more than one of each. No, you don't...what about Bulbasaur: There is May's and ther is Ash's. We are trying to limit coding on the species pages because they grow bigger and bigger with new games being released and new anime appearences. It is better to be consisteant and leave it like it is...there isn't a problem with the way it is now.
    Yes, I do. Really, if you searched Bulbasaur, would you expect to be taken to Ash's Bulbasaur page? I wouldn't. So, like I said before, for multiple disambiguation links, we would have a link at the top of the page for "Bulbasaur (disambiguation). I don't see any problem with doing that.

Agent of SHIELD $aturn¥oshi's Avatar Social Media Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow $aturn¥oshi On Twitter Add $aturn¥oshi on Facebook Add $aturn¥oshi on Google+
    Follow $aturn¥oshi on Tumblr Visit $aturn¥oshi's Youtube Channel

There was already a poll, and the majority decided to have it the current way. Trying to change it now would be moot.

Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi View Post
    There was already a poll, and the majority decided to have it the current way. Trying to change it now would be moot.
    Where is that poll? I couldn't find another discussion like this. And how long ago was the poll? ~~~~

I'd like to also bring to the table, once again. Legendary Pokemon from the movies having their own articles. While the Species itself has an anime section all it's own.

Example:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Manaphy

Why can't what's on the Anime Manaphy's article just go in the Species article?

I still don't understand why people wanted to leave everything as it is. I didn't know that every single Pokemon article was a disambiguation page. So, I guess we won't be able to have another poll like that one for at least 3 months, right?

I'd like to also bring to the table, once again. Legendary Pokemon from the movies having their own articles. While the Species itself has an anime section all it's own.

Example:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Manaphy

Why can't what's on the Anime Manaphy's article just go in the Species article?
    I agree with Sketch. Another example is http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unown_(Spell_of_the_Unown). They should be in the same article. Most specific Pokemon articles are short enough to be in the same article as the species. There are a few exceptions, like Ash's Pikachu or Misty's Togepi.

I strongly disagree! These movie Pokémon pages are much more detailed and informative than the anime section could ever give. The anime section is supposed to be small summaries of appearences with the important characters having links to their own page with more information. Just because you don't think they are important enough doesn't mean other people feel the same way. I feel that they are the main characters in the movie and they deserve more than just a couple sentences on the species page. These Pokémon had an entire movie about them, and you are trying to say that they don't even deserve a page? Well, they do. I whole-heartedly believe that the pages should stay as pages, and not just a couple of sentences.

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

im in favor of reducing disambigs. particularly for lesser used things. notably the "Flying Egg Group". thats so ridiculous. just add the tag at the top. "if you were looking for the egg group" because i bet if you tacked how many people search for "flying egg group" and "flying type" itd be 1000/1 in favor of the type.

im also in favor for having pokemon redirecting to the respected pokemon. after all, pokemon is based off the games, not the anime. i feel the games should take trump over the anime. granted, there are exceptions, like Pikachu.

The Pride is Back! The White King's Avatar

That poll is very small, was it well advertised? I am very annoyed to have to go to an extra page because my internet is very slow. I would imagine the people searching for anime pokemon are quite small. Wikipedia usually has the article that receives more hits to appear first and a link to a disambiguation page at the top.

"Search: Bulbasaur"
    "Did you mean Ash's Bulbsaur, May's Bulbasaur or Bulbasaur?"
    "I meant Bulbasaur."
    Beware the Eye of the Crimson King.

It was said before and it will be said again. We aren't wikipedia!!!! We do not have to do the exact same things as them! We are our own seperate wiki.

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

we arent wikipedia, there is definatly that.
    but, if you search bulba, i think it should go to Bulbasaur and say at the top "click here for a bulba disambig" or somthing to that effect.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast