BULBAPEDIA: Consistency in main anime character articles

Thread: Consistency in main anime character articles

A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

Default Consistency in main anime character articles

@Kenji-girl;
    I'm going to start with an anecdote, so if you don't care why I'm bringing this up, skip the next paragraph.

So today I noticed an "About" section on the article Brock (anime). This should NOT exist, and should be broken off into other sections. So I originally found that most of it would fit under history, but he already has a history section, so I decided to check other characters to see how they ordered their pages. Then I found that there is no consistency at all.

So anyway, here's what we currently have (I'm only listing the sections above Pokemon, because that is what I'm concerned about):

So there seems to be a pattern of giving characters a "History" and "Character" section (which is certainly a good idea), and I think that is probably enough for most supporting characters (although strangely Ash doesn't have a history section and his history is forced into his character section). However, the supporting characters aren't really the issue here; Ash, his travelling companions, Team Rocket, and major rivals are.

Ash, his travelling companions, Team Rocket, and major rivals all should certainly have a "History" and "Character" section (which should be separate). Misty and Brock's "Appearance" section may be something we want on more pages, or may be something we want to get rid of. "Family" should be on all characters that it applies to. I guess Tracey's "Pokémon Watching" section takes the place of Ash and the co-oridnator's achievements sections since Tracey never achieved anything Pokémon Watching doesn't win you any prizes, but perhaps Brock deserves a "Pokémon Breeding" and "Pokémon Doctor" section too, as Cilan would deserve a "Pokémon Connoisseur" section.

So for anyone who really just skimmed this or saw bullet points at the bottom and thought "Oh good, I like bullet points because they are short and to the point unlike SM's ramblings", the post essentially just follows my train of thought anyway, so here's a summary:
    • I believe that all major characters should have both "History" and "Character" sections, and "Family" when applicable.
    • This is me trying to create order, not announcing anything
    • I made a list of the sections that each major anime character has; they're bullet points too, so if you can be bothered to read this, you can be bothered to read them
    • I'm posting this in public because I think everyone deserves a say. Are there any other sections you think should be added to anime character pages?

And please, if you read this, reply. I don't want to make a thread and have it completely ignored (as has happened before when I've created threads in the Bulbawiki forums). Even if it just "I agree with all of your proposals" (try to avoid doing this word-for-word though), I would appreciate acknowledgement of it.

This world is merciless Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia StaffModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Consistency in main anime character articles

"I agree with all of your proposals." The way the articles are now are kind of inconsistant and should be changed to one format. I think it should really be something that should be added to the Anime Manual of Style, so hopefully the pages can have a more universal feel. I cannot think of anymore sections to add though. I'm a little iffy about them getting their own section for "Pokemon Connoisseur" or "Pokemon Doctor". On Cilan's page (idk about the others), all of Cilan's Connoisseur stuff is already covered under his "Character" section (it actually makes up a bulk of it). If we add seperate sections for their hobbies/activities, we should be careful that the article will not get too redundant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster97 View Post
    "I agree with all of your proposals." The way the articles are now are kind of inconsistant and should be changed to one format. I think it should really be something that should be added to the Anime Manual of Style, so hopefully the pages can have a more universal feel.
    Yes, that should definitely be done.

I'm a little iffy about them getting their own section for "Pokemon Connoisseur" or "Pokemon Doctor". On Cilan's page (idk about the others), all of Cilan's Connoisseur stuff is already covered under his "Character" section (it actually makes up a bulk of it). If we add seperate sections for their hobbies/activities, we should be careful that the article will not get too redundant.
    If it were to get its own section, it would probably be moved from his "Character" section. Likewise, when Ash's "History" section is made, it would likely be moved from his "Character" section.

Mugiwara senpai! <3 Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Brock's about section is kind of confusing (combo of character + history sections), not to mention, redundant. It can easily be merged into characters/history sections.

Brock's most notable feature about his appearance is that his eyes naturally appear closed. The rare times people see them open are when they are forced open unnaturally: from a hit with Charmander's Flamethrower in The Ninja Poké-Showdown, when being hit in the back of the head by Arbok's tail in Who Gets to Keep Togepi?, and when he makes a face for Larvitar in A Crowning Achievement. This has been the center of fan attention for a long time.
    ^ This can go into the character section.

He also has tan skin, notably darker than the skin of any other major character in the anime, until Iris in the Best Wishes series.

Brock, along with Tracey and Cilan, are the tallest of Ash's traveling companions, and the closest to looking like an adult. Next to actual adult characters, however, it is clear that he is still a teenager.

Not counting temporary outfits, he has worn three different outfits over the span of the anime, all of which have had the colors orange, green, and brown, with blue shoes. The majority of his outfits in the games are also made up of the colors orange, green, and brown.
    Unnecessary.

Also, I don't see any reason for shoving manga and TCG sections in the "Brock (anime)" article, when they are much more suitable for "Brock" (the main article). That reminds me, we have the exact same (a shorter version but still, ditto) manga and TCG versions in both of the articles. I haven't removed the duplicate sections yet, because I wanted to your thoughts on this first.

Same for Misty of course, and May/Dawn. I know that we don't have a general "Dawn" article, one is for games and the other one is for anime. But what about the manga and TCG sections, and why are they in the anime article (I can understand if it's because of those tcg cards being based on the anime characters, but still, I find it a bit out-of-place)?

James, Max, May's character section can be split into two sections (as SM has mentioned above, "history is forced into his character section"). Likewise, Ursula, Kenny, Harrison, Tyson, Solidad, Tobias (Sinnoh), Conway, and Ritchie (it can use some expansion), should follow a similar pattern.

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

Yeah... I wanted them to be consistent for a while now particularly with the main characters. What I wanted to do for characters who appeared in multiple arcs is for the article to be divided into region sections like Professor Oak and Gary. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to do any of that. Ash will be especially challenging. Also the neglect Ritchie's article is facing is kind of sad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adyniz View Post
    Also, I don't see any reason for shoving manga and TCG sections in the "Brock (anime)" article, when they are much more suitable for "Brock" (the main article). That reminds me, we have the exact same (a shorter version but still, ditto) manga and TCG versions in both of the articles. I haven't removed the duplicate sections yet, because I wanted to your thoughts on this first.
    The TCG and manga sections on Brock (anime) are there because they are based directly on the anime Brock rather than another Brock (like game Brock).

Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adyniz View Post
    The TCG and manga sections on Brock (anime) are there because they are based directly on the anime Brock rather than another Brock (like game Brock).
    I said that because we have manga/tcg sections of other main characters in their main articles, Misty - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia , Cilan Cilan - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia , and Iris Iris - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia etc.

Haven't checked other articles though.

Fiery passion that burns~ Kogoro's Avatar Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Misty's anime page also has a manga & TCG section for material based on the anime version of Misty. Iris's manga section is based off the game character, thus it belongs on the game character's page. Cilan's manga & TCG appearances are also based on the game character rather than the anime character, which is why those also belong on the game character's page.

Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Yeah, Kenji cleared it up yesterday.