I'm going to start with an anecdote, so if you don't care why I'm bringing this up, skip the next paragraph.
So today I noticed an "About" section on the article Brock (anime). This should NOT exist, and should be broken off into other sections. So I originally found that most of it would fit under history, but he already has a history section, so I decided to check other characters to see how they ordered their pages. Then I found that there is no consistency at all.
So anyway, here's what we currently have (I'm only listing the sections above Pokemon, because that is what I'm concerned about):
- Ash has "Character" and "Family"
- Brock (anime) has "About" (which needs to go), "Appearance", "Character", "History".
- Misty (anime) has "Character" and "Appearance"
- Tracey has "History", "Character", and "Pokémon Watching"
- May (anime) has "Character"
- Max has "Character"
- Dawn (anime) has "History" and "Character"
- Iris (anime) has "History" and "Character"
- Cilan (anime) has "History" and "Character"
- Jessie and James both only have "Character"
- Gary Oak and Professor Oak (anime) have an "In the anime" section with subsections for each series
- [bp]Paul has "History" and "Personality and training"
- Giovanni (anime) has a "History" section
- Most other characters (Bianca (anime), Stephan, Burgundy, Zoey, Nando, Georgia, Trip, Barry (anime), Morrison, Harley, Drew) have a "History" and "Character" section
- Other more mior supporting characters (Ursula, Kenny, Harrison, Tyson, Solidad, Tobias (Sinnoh)) only have "History"
- Conway has a combined "Characteristics and history" section
- Ritchie just has a short "In the anime" section
So there seems to be a pattern of giving characters a "History" and "Character" section (which is certainly a good idea), and I think that is probably enough for most supporting characters (although strangely Ash doesn't have a history section and his history is forced into his character section). However, the supporting characters aren't really the issue here; Ash, his travelling companions, Team Rocket, and major rivals are.
Ash, his travelling companions, Team Rocket, and major rivals all should certainly have a "History" and "Character" section (which should be separate). Misty and Brock's "Appearance" section may be something we want on more pages, or may be something we want to get rid of. "Family" should be on all characters that it applies to. I guess Tracey's "Pokémon Watching" section takes the place of Ash and the co-oridnator's achievements sections since
Tracey never achieved anythingPokémon Watching doesn't win you any prizes, but perhaps Brock deserves a "Pokémon Breeding" and "Pokémon Doctor" section too, as Cilan would deserve a "Pokémon Connoisseur" section.
So for anyone who really just skimmed this or saw bullet points at the bottom and thought "Oh good, I like bullet points because they are short and to the point unlike SM's ramblings", the post essentially just follows my train of thought anyway, so here's a summary:
- I believe that all major characters should have both "History" and "Character" sections, and "Family" when applicable.
- This is me trying to create order, not announcing anything
- I made a list of the sections that each major anime character has; they're bullet points too, so if you can be bothered to read this, you can be bothered to read them
- I'm posting this in public because I think everyone deserves a say. Are there any other sections you think should be added to anime character pages?
And please, if you read this, reply. I don't want to make a thread and have it completely ignored (as has happened before when I've created threads in the Bulbawiki forums). Even if it just "I agree with all of your proposals" (try to avoid doing this word-for-word though), I would appreciate acknowledgement of it.