BULBAPEDIA: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 245

Thread: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

  1. #1

    Default Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    Over the course of our work on the wiki, many pages have built up in the candidates for merging, moving, mainspacing, and splitting categories. Our goal with this thread is to discuss how the pages in these categories should be handled, and to hopefully knock them all out so that when new ones happen, we can handle them immediately. Since trying to discuss all of them at once would be a daunting and inefficient task, I will post three pages (or groups of extremely similar pages) and what is suggested we do with them.

    Please only discuss what is currently on the table; however, please also comment even if you are unfamiliar with the subject (maybe read the pages first to give an educated opinion)

    This first post will be updated every Saturday with one page from the five categories (if available): deletion, merging, mainspacing, moving, and splitting. Each Saturday, their fate will be determined and a new five will make there way to the discussion table.

    Topics of 2/15/14, discussion starts at post 241; (Deletion is replaced this week with candidate for moving):

    Merging) Ken (PMC) and Mary (PMC) into Pokémon Mystery Club

    Mainspacing) User:Relicant/List of Pokémon with shared species names

    Moving) Kiseki to KISEKI

    Moving 2) ONE to ONE (Japanese song)

    Splitting) Wobbuffet Festival crashers into Tsuyoshi, Tetsuya, and Hisashi
    Last edited by Maverick Nate; 15th February 2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Feb 15 update

  2. #2
    Sleep tight Isamu Akai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,221
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    Well, in regards to Missingno, I'd say MissingNo. is as close as we'll ever get to an 'official name' for it after what Nintendo called it, other than by calling it in all caps like how the games did. But that's really all I can say about it.


    Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

  3. #3
    A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,317
    Blog Entries
    5
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Nate View Post
    1) Merging Poké Spot Monitor with Poké Spot
    -Reason:Poké Spot Monitor being a small stubby article
    Less bothered by this than the other two, but it is a very short article that I don't see getting any longer, and Poké Spot isn't that long either. A merge would be good for both.

    2) Splitting "Wonder Launcher Items" off of Battle item.
    -The wonder launcher items are only able to be used during that type of battle
    Part of the reason I nominated this was because if it were split, we could also include Wonder Launcher Revives and Potions as well, which we should.

    3) Moving Missingno. to "MissingNo."
    -A debate on the talk page between what is considered "official" or not.
    Once each page is decided on, it will be replaced.
    I'm all for this one. My reasons are on the talk page (but here they are anyway). Primarily because in the only official statement we have received, the "N" is always capitalized, even though there were inconsistencies in other parts of its name. Also, MissingNo. is clearly "Missing Number" abbreviated, so should reflect that. From my experience, "MissingNo." is more common in the fandom, and any examples of "Missingno." generally stem from our Bulbapedia page anyway (but this is a very subjective statement, and others may believe the opposite).

  4. #4

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SnorlaxMonster View Post


    Part of the reason I nominated this was because if it were split, we could also include Wonder Launcher Revives and Potions as well, which we should.
    Just wondering, what position does that put the Wonder Launcher page at? Doesn't it make it redundant to have a separate page of Wonder Launcher items and have that list in the Wonder Launcher page? Wouldn't it be more sensible to split it from the battle items, and merge it with Wonder Launcher since the "available items" section isn't very descriptive, and you can incorporate the point cost into the table for the one at the Battle items? The table at the Wonder Launcher page currently redirects to the Battle Item page anyway which creates unnecessary loading and clicking if you just had the items right there.

  5. #5
    A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,317
    Blog Entries
    5
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psystrike View Post
    Just wondering, what position does that put the Wonder Launcher page at? Doesn't it make it redundant to have a separate page of Wonder Launcher items and have that list in the Wonder Launcher page? Wouldn't it be more sensible to split it from the battle items, and merge it with Wonder Launcher since the "available items" section isn't very descriptive, and you can incorporate the point cost into the table for the one at the Battle items? The table at the Wonder Launcher page currently redirects to the Battle Item page anyway which creates unnecessary loading and clicking if you just had the items right there.
    Well, the theoretical page would use full item templates, like they do on the Battle item page, whereas the list on Wonder Launcher would just be a quick reference of which items there are and their costs. Wonder Launch would of course have a main article link in that section though.

  6. #6
    Avatar loading... 23% Missingno. Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know?
    Posts
    1,435
    Blog Entries
    138

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Nate View Post
    3) Moving Missingno. to "MissingNo."
    -A debate on the talk page between what is considered "official" or not.
    I disagree completely. There is no official capitalization for Missingno. It's true Nintendo once referred to it as "MissingNo", but in that same email/whatever it is, they also referred to it as "MissingNO". Different capitalization. And both times, they left the period out of its name, meaning they misspelled it. It contradicts the in-game spelling, and so we shouldn't go by said contradictions. Unless Nintendo explicitly states otherwise, Missingno.'s name is spelled "Missingno.". Compare with Ho-Oh, as at first, its name was in all caps in the games, so we thought it would be "Ho-oh". Then official materials displayed its name as "Ho-Oh". This is not the same case, as the "official materials" we're going off here not only has two different ways of capitalizing the name, but misspells them both. Honestly, I am at a loss as to why this is even still considered an issue.

    With a mustache.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    Honestly, I am at a loss as to why this is even still considered an issue.
    Obviously because people still disagree with each other about. I personally believe it should be moved.

  8. #8
    A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,317
    Blog Entries
    5
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    I disagree completely. There is no official capitalization for Missingno. It's true Nintendo once referred to it as "MissingNo", but in that same email/whatever it is, they also referred to it as "MissingNO". Different capitalization. And both times, they left the period out of its name, meaning they misspelled it. It contradicts the in-game spelling, and so we shouldn't go by said contradictions. Unless Nintendo explicitly states otherwise, Missingno.'s name is spelled "Missingno.". Compare with Ho-Oh, as at first, its name was in all caps in the games, so we thought it would be "Ho-oh". Then official materials displayed its name as "Ho-Oh". This is not the same case, as the "official materials" we're going off here not only has two different ways of capitalizing the name, but misspells them both. Honestly, I am at a loss as to why this is even still considered an issue.
    Thing is, the "N" is always capitalized. Yes, they omit the period, which is part of its name, but they capitalize the "N". Are there any sources indicating that it has a lowercase "n" in its name. No, absolutely none. But there is one where the "N" is capitalized. Honestly, we could treat this like the other glitch Pokémon and just capitalize the same way the game does, but I think Missingno. is a special case due to being defined text rather than just other game data forced into a name.

  9. #9
    Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know :D
    Posts
    224

    Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    I am for numbers 1) and 3). The monitor article is really small and MissingNo should be with a capital N. Wonder Launcher, I'm not sure of.

  10. #10
    Mugiwara senpai! <3 Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    2,542
    Blog Entries
    3
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    I am on board with:
    1 - Spot monitor will look good as just a section instead, merging it will be a good idea
    2 - Either WL battle items should have its own article or it should be merged with the Wonder Launcher article itself. It's rather suitable there.
    3 - I've no idea whether it should be capitalized or not.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    #1)Unless there is any objection, I will merge those pages tomorrow
    #2)I believe the items should be merged into the Wonder Launcher article. Since not every agrees on that, I'd like to hear more opinions.
    #3)Debate is still going on.

  12. #12
    It's what I do MisterE13's Avatar Archives JuniorBulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    272
    Blog Entries
    1
    Follow MisterE13 On Twitter
    Visit MisterE13's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    1) I'd merge all the P*DA applications with the P*DA article
    2) Merging with Wonder Launcher seems good
    3) MissingNo.
    Last edited by MisterE13; 16th July 2011 at 02:58 PM.

  13. #13
    #1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lost in Pennsylvania...
    Posts
    5,578
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    walking into this a little blindly, but wouldnt "Missingno." officially be "MISSINGNO." given there is no official version, because it isnt official?

  14. #14
    A real monstrosity SnorlaxMonster's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,317
    Blog Entries
    5
    Follow SnorlaxMonster On Twitter
    Visit SnorlaxMonster's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MAGNEDETH View Post
    walking into this a little blindly, but wouldnt "Missingno." officially be "MISSINGNO." given there is no official version, because it isnt official?
    Well, we were talking about this statement, the only official mention of MissingNo., or even a glitch Pokémon at all. Problem is that it omits the period, is inconsistent in the casing of the "O", and the information it provides is generally wrong. It is not encounter via the "Fight Safari Zone Pokémon trick" (but it uses the same principle as part of it); releasing Missingno. does not fix the graphics - the actual way to fix these issues is to view the Pokédex data or stat page of a hybrid glitch Pokémon or official Pokémon.

  15. #15
    #1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lost in Pennsylvania...
    Posts
    5,578
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

    Default Re: Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

    that isnt what i was referring to.
    Missingno's first appearance is essentially when you find it using the Old Man Glitch. there-in, it would instantly be regarded as "MISSINGNO." as that is what it was debuted as. it is a glitch located in one game. it has no official spelling because it is not an official Pokemon. so therefor its technically official spelling would be as it is in the games. ie: all caps.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •