Bulbapedia search: skipping the disambiguation page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulbapedia search: skipping the disambiguation page

Default Bulbapedia search: skipping the disambiguation page

Hey,

I became a registered user just to suggest this, however, when people search for a certain pokemon on bulbapedia, I would suggest the result going straight to the page for that species, with a line under the title clickable for the disambiguation page (similar to many wikipedia pages).

(Yah, I posted this in the official thread too, but being a new member, I'm not sure it's going to get any attention there.)

I suggest this because I'm fairly certain most people are trying to look up the species when they search a pokemon, and we all have to either type in (pokemon) after the name or go through the disambiguation page. It would not only save a lot of people time, but possibly also strain on the bulbapedia servers for having to load one less page every time a lot of people search.

Thanks!
    Ontalor is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Vintage Sketch's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulbapedia search: skipping the disambiguation page

... this would be nice.

Blog Entries

I don't see it as an earth shattering problem. Its 2-3 extra seconds. It doesn;t matter much. And there's usually a scroll down menu so you can select it.

But personally, I would prefer it the OP's way, but either way its fine.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I agree. This has annoyed me in the past. I don't care about Sakura's Espeon.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

#1 Magnemite fan MAGNEDETH's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Follow MAGNEDETH On Twitter

NOTE: this idea has been proposed a few times before.

disambigs have been a massive topic of conversation in the past, and while i also agree that going to the species would make more sense (as its what people who search just a name are most likely looking for), it just seems like theres an equal amount of people who want them just the way they are. i dont recall the compelling argument those people produced, but im sure one of those people will come along and say so.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I think it'd be smart to have a serious look at this policy.

Short of Ash's Pikachu, Mewtwo, and a few others, I can't imagine when people would want to be disambiguated. They probably wouldn't want that when looking for, say, Metapod or Riolu or Golduck. But they get it anyway.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

as i said, for whatever reason, this has been shot down before, but if we can get our hands on another shot, maybe we can work this out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flame_Alex View Post
    I don't see it as an earth shattering problem. Its 2-3 extra seconds. It doesn;t matter much. And there's usually a scroll down menu so you can select it.

But personally, I would prefer it the OP's way, but either way its fine.
    Only 2-3 extra seconds? That may be true for you, but some users still have dial-up (yes, the connection-speed our ancestors used to communicate with each other). This can mean several MINUTES of waiting because of the extra, unwanted page.

Yes, it makes sense for "Mew" to take you directly to Mew's species page, rather than a disambiguation - as this is what you are looking for 90% of the time anyway.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

#winning Politoed666's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

I like the policy as-is. I'll bet a large amount of site visitors aren't looking for the species article; rather, they're looking for the Pokémon in regards to whatever medium they're most interested in, be that the TCG, anime, manga, etc..

My vote would be to not change a thing, if it comes up for a tally.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    Only 2-3 extra seconds? That may be true for you, but some users still have dial-up (yes, the connection-speed our ancestors used to communicate with each other). This can mean several MINUTES of waiting because of the extra, unwanted page.
    jw do you or does anyone you know actually use dial-up? :P not saying your point isn't a valid argument (it is, and though i personally like the disambig system as it is, it has given me some pause), i'm just curious XD

this like 640x480 screen resolutions... i'm sure people DO still use it, but how many of those people are our users?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty Cactus View Post
    jw do you or does anyone you know actually use dial-up? :P not saying your point isn't a valid argument (it is, and though i personally like the disambig system as it is, it has given me some pause), i'm just curious XD

this like 640x480 screen resolutions... i'm sure people DO still use it, but how many of those people are our users?
    Actually I do know someone who uses Dial-Up - and not so long ago I used it as well.

I don't know how many of our users have dial-up internet connections, but in all my Web-Design courses we were taught to design websites to cater to all types of users and configurations, being considerate of those with slow connection speeds whenever possible.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty Cactus View Post
    i think Kogoro uses dial-up actually.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Let's see. How big is the biggest Pokémon species disambiguation page?

Pikachu. 1,404 bytes. Barely over a kilobyte. That is nothing.

Pikachu (Pokémon). 44,093 bytes. Nearly 50 times larger. That's what takes forever to load.

It's not like we're saying HERE'S AN EXTRA 700 KILOBYTE PAGE TO DOWNLOAD WHILE YOU WAIT. It's a minor stopoff and annoyance at worst. At best, it'll give someone who's been out of the fandom a while a glimpse into parts of it that they don't follow, or used to follow but fell out of. When I first came to Bulbapedia, I searched for Snorunt, since I hadn't found one in my game yet. I got a disambiguation page, and found out that Ash had one. It brought me back into having interest in following the anime.

I also feel that removing the Pokémon disambiguations will lead to us being petitioned to remove the type ones, move ones, and so many others, because "oh they don't need it". They do. It's our thing. It keeps things organized. The end. We're not changing it ever.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Right. But I think Pikachu is a valid candidate for a disambiguation. The other three I cited are three that I expect the majority of traffic to be a throughfare for the Pokemon page.

And I think we should look seriously at pages like the ones I named. Because clearly there's some criteria--not all Pokemon get disambigs. But I think the current system is a bit silly and arbitrary.

If need be, we can dig into the server and see where people go.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Okay, fine. Let's redirect Bulbasaur. No one cares about Ash's anymore, am I right?

Where do they become not notable enough anymore, when they're not in the current anime series? What happens when one gets brought back, like Phanpy did, or Cyndaquil? Do we un-redirect? And this will just lead to people LINKING them and being all "lol wuts rong it goes their n e way".

The problem is that this is a series which has been going on for 15 years. FIFTEEN YEARS. We've had four anime series totaling currently nearly 700 episodes, undoubtedly making it to 900 by the time BW ends, we've got 649 Pokémon. We've got so many canons it's not even funny. That's why there are so many freaking redirects. Because we have so many freaking things to look at.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast