Anime Pokémon notability
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anime Pokémon notability

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Anime Pokémon notability

These articles seem to be an ongoing issue. It's a slippery slope: Ash's Pikachu obviously deserves an article but Paul's Ninjask certainly doesn't. So the question is where do we draw the line? We need a solid answer.

Right now, the biggest issue is Paul's Magmar. It might deserve an individual article in the future but right now it has only appeared in a flashback - that's less than his Azumarill (now a redirect by consensus).

Ash's Raticate is also questionable.

My personal take on notability is whether you can say enough about the subject of the article to expand the information out of the trainer's article and/or the anime section of the species article. Otherwise, that's what those are there for.

But let's come to some agreement on this.

Theryguy512

Well I think that both Paul's Magmar and Paul's Azumarill deserve articles. Ash's Raticate defiantly does since it was one of Ash's Pokemon, so it is important, even though it was only in one episode.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Theryguy512 View Post
    Ash's Raticate defiantly does since it was one of Ash's Pokemon, so it is important, even though it was only in one episode.
    Why the heck would you want to make an entire article about something that can easily be described in a single sentence?

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude
    3DS: 3050 7720 3499 -- 3DS #2: 2036 8216 4990

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you could get a decent paragraph out of Ash's Raticate, but there are other articles that said paragraph would easily fit in - Raticate (Pokémon), Gentleman, EP015, or even Ash's Butterfree.

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

I agree with Geodude. "Ash's Raticate," "Paul's Magmar," etc. can easily be described in one or two sentences.

But...but it's Magmar. :(

That alone should gurantee him a article with bright, flashing lights.

I think it's less a question of notability and more a question of what can be said. Concur with redirect.
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

I personally think that if it has either had a major role in an episode, or minor roles for 5 or more episodes, it deserves an article.

Bulbapædist Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

I agree that this issue needs to be addressed. I personally have deleted articles on Kay's Raichu and other completely innocuous Pokémon characters. Heck, we had somebody create an article on Kenny's Breloom before the darn episode even debuted! Remember the days when people used to wait until the episode aired before creating an article?

Having said that, I feel the following articles should be either deleted or redirected; Drew's Absol, Drew's Butterfree (seriously, why was this one even created?), Harley's Octillery, Harley's Wigglytuff, Jimmy's Beedrill, Kenny's Breloom, Little Miss, Paul's Gliscor, Paul's Magmar, Zoey's Shellos, Nero, Orville (yes, I'm aware I created both of those articles, but I see differently now), Santa's Delibird, Cheryl's Mothim, Wynaut (anime) and Hippopotas (anime).

Theryguy512

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by PAK Man View Post
    I agree that this issue needs to be addressed. I personally have deleted articles on Kay's Raichu and other completely innocuous Pokémon characters. Heck, we had somebody create an article on Kenny's Breloom before the darn episode even debuted! Remember the days when people used to wait until the episode aired before creating an article?

Having said that, I feel the following articles should be either deleted or redirected; Drew's Absol, Drew's Butterfree (seriously, why was this one even created?), Harley's Octillery, Harley's Wigglytuff, Jimmy's Beedrill, Kenny's Breloom, Little Miss, Paul's Gliscor, Paul's Magmar, Zoey's Shellos, Nero, Orville (yes, I'm aware I created both of those articles, but I see differently now), Santa's Delibird, Cheryl's Mothim, Wynaut (anime) and Hippopotas (anime).
    Yes, but some of those Pokemon served minor/major roles for 3 episodes. I think that that should be the line.

Theryguy512

Quote Originally Posted by FabuVinny View Post
    These articles seem to be an ongoing issue. It's a slippery slope: Ash's Pikachu obviously deserves an article but Paul's Ninjask certainly doesn't. So the question is where do we draw the line? We need a solid answer.

Right now, the biggest issue is Paul's Magmar. It might deserve an individual article in the future but right now it has only appeared in a flashback - that's less than his Azumarill (now a redirect by consensus).

Ash's Raticate is also questionable.

My personal take on notability is whether you can say enough about the subject of the article to expand the information out of the trainer's article and/or the anime section of the species article. Otherwise, that's what those are there for.

But let's come to some agreement on this.

Well if you do it like that, you could say that we should delete Ash's Gligar. But we won't, and why? Because it an ASH Pokemon, which is the same reasonwe should have Paul's Magmar and Azumarill, because their PAUL Pokemon.

I dunno. Azumarill got one appearance and then was given away. Magmar we assume is going to stick around and become Magmortar.

By the "It's a Paul Pokemon" angle, should we have "Paul's Starly" "Paul's second Starly" and "Paul's third Starly" pages?

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

Ash is in every episode. Paul is in less than a quarter of them.

Theryguy512

Yea, but my point is that you're basically saying that ''if a Pokemon does not appear in 5 or more episodes, it doesn't need a page''. That's basically saying delete Ash's Gligar. But we won't, be cause it is ASH'S Pokemon. That's the same reason why Paul's Gliscor and Magmar need a page, since they're PAUL'S Pokemon and are expected to stick around.

I'm saying that if, in the future, they do not appear in any more episodes, which we can assume for some Pokémon, they do not need a page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast