[Oct 13 update] A request to join Encyclopaediae Pokémonis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Oct 13 update] A request to join Encyclopaediae Pokémonis

Follow swam260 On Twitter
    Follow swam260 on Tumblr

Default [Oct 13 update] A request to join Encyclopaediae Pokémonis

Hello Bulbapedia and Encyclopaediae Pokémonis,

I’m the creator of 神奇宝贝百科 ( http://wiki.52poke.com/ ), which is a Chinese Pokémon wiki under 神奇宝贝部落格 ( http://www.52poke.com/ ). The aim of 神奇宝贝百科 is to create a professional, community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia in Chinese. And all the time, we hope to join Encyclopaediae Pokémonis.

We start 神奇宝贝百科 3 years ago, previously using MediaWiki. Due to some technology and performance issues that our previous hosting had, we began to refactor 神奇宝贝百科 and write our own program in early 2009. Since then, 神奇宝贝百科 grew fast, and now have articles about all (until Generation IV) Pokémon, Moves, Abilities, and dozens of articles about characters, locations and other Pokémon-meta.

In Apr 2010, we moved into a VPS server in Fremont this summer, we have much better resource and performance than before. In Aug 2010, we start to move back to MediaWiki platform, and we finished this work on Sep 1, 2010.

In September of this year, we have more than 50 updates everyday on average. In late September and October, we did our coverage of Black & White, and finished all articles of new Pokémon, Abilities and Moves.

Our superiority comparing to other alternatives:
    * We choose our Creative Commons license at an early time, and now all articles in 神奇宝贝百科 are covered under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license, which is compatible with Bulbapedia and several other Pokémon wiki.

* We have a Standard (provided below) about translation of Pokémon terms, and we fully uses official Chinese(Mardarin) names of Pokémon, Moves, Characters, Abilities, Locations, etc.

* We have already more than 1600 articles and growing, covering all Pokémon, Moves, Abilities of Generation I to Generation IV, as well as all Items in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum.

* 52Poke.com is a outstanding Pokémon news sites in Chinese community, often refer as the most reliable news source by Chinese fans.

In a word, 52Poke.com team and myself take 神奇宝贝百科 seriously for years, and we promise we’ll continually develop 神奇宝贝百科 with all our strength. We hope we could have a opportunity to join Encyclopaediae Pokémonis. If there’s still any requirement necessary, we’ll give our full support.

Much thanks for reading this, we hope your response.

Appendix: the standard about translation of Pokémon terms
    Online version: (Chinese)
    http://wiki.52poke.com/wiki/%E8%AF%91%E5%90%8D%E6%A0%87%E5%87%86

In this article, the term Official Translation is refer to the Chinese Pokémon terms used in products which published by a producer licensed from Pokémon-affiliated companies. These licensees are listed below.

Rules:
    * The term Pokémon should be called 神奇宝贝.
    * The names of No.001 to No.493 Pokémon in Natinal Pokédex should use Official Translation (Mardarin).
    * If a term has only one Official Translation, which doesn’t have a wrong meaning, it should use the Official Translation.
    * If a term has more than one Official Translations. Then it should use an Official Translation which is closest to its origin meaning, used most widely, or fit the usual practice of Modern Standard Chinese most.
    * The names of Generation V Pokémon which don’t have Official Translations should use Katakana directly.
    * If a term doesn’t have an Official Translation, and the Japanese term could be spelled in Kanji, and the Kanji has the same meaning in Chinese, then it should use the Kanji.
    * If a term doesn’t have an Official Translation, and both the Japanese and English term use words of foreign origin, then it should use phonetic transliteration of its Japanese term.
    * If a term doesn’t have an Official Translation, and it could be paraphrased easily, then it should use paraphrase. Otherwise it should use phonetic transliteration.

Licensed producers and sellers:
    * Top-Insight International Co., Ltd (HQ in Taipei)
    * Shanghai Viz Communication Inc. (a Shogakukan office)
    * Shanghai Good Music Entertainment Co., Ltd.
    * 亞米可實業有限公司
    * Jilin Fine Arts Press
    * Ching-win Publishing Group
    * 21st-Century Publishing House
    * Pro-Insight International Co., Ltd
    * Toys “R” Us
    Last edited by swam260; 12th October 2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: update

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Default Re: A request to join Encyclopaediae Pokémonis

Thanks for your post Swampert Ilex. We'll get back to you as soon as possible, after we've had a chance to confer with some of the other Encyclopaediae Pokémonis website owners. I certainly have to say though that your request here has impressed a lot of our people.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Blog Entries

A question for you from Filb (of filb.de and pokewiki.de). Do you have a recent changes feed on there at all?

Also, I should let you know that we'd all probably prefer if you could go back to MediaWiki, mainly because it might actually be a bit difficult to do the interwiki links between our existing MediaWiki's and non-MediaWiki software.

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by swam260 View Post
    Though our home-made wiki program is less functional than MediaWiki, we still support MediaWiki-style entries, categories, code. And all registered users are able to create new articles and upload new images, as approved users can modify articles, create categories, etc. I can also modify the program myself if any new function is required.
    While I am not in any authority here, I have a quick question which may help Archiac or Encyclopedia Pokémonis, shouldn't it be so only Approved users can make new articles, as a Spam-Bot could easily make hundreds of new articles, and if it Joins Pokémonis it will get popular and thus more at risk. I needn't remind Bulbapedia of The Great Turkey Shoot...
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

Bloody Melt
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure that isn't the case with Bulbapedia or any of the other Pokemonis sites.
    Last edited by White Len; 18th August 2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: GRAMMAH
    If ya need me, I'm probably playing some Mann vs Machine: http://steamcommunity.com/id/optimatum

Follow swam260 on Tumblr

Thanks so much for interest and concerning.

And here's the recent changes feed: http://wiki.52poke.com/recent.php
    Articles doesn't have modify time are produced by special templates (Pokémon, Moves, Abilities, Items, CDs), contributors involved in these work are listed in the About page.
    Also because this system only save the last revision, only the latest changes of an entry is listed on this feed.

According to this, it's easy to make Interwiki with 神奇宝贝百科, since our URLs are compatible with MediaWiki.
    I tried “INSERT INTO interwiki SET iw_prefix='zh', iw_url='http://wiki.52poke.com/wiki/$1', iw_local=1, iw_trans=0 ;” and that's OK. I'll also do some quick work on my program to support interwiki links with other wikis.

In addition, we already began our work to switch to MediaWiki , but it may take weeks to do works like write templates and config caches. In the mean time, we'll continue our work on our current 神奇宝贝百科.
    Last edited by swam260; 20th August 2010 at 03:23 AM.

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

I'm not in any authority here either, but I do have a question. Since there are two different writing system in Chinese, is it possible to have another version that uses traditional Chinese, similar to that of the Chinese Wikipedia (维基百科/維基百科)? I think that it may be important, since not everyone (such as myself) is used to simplified Chinese. If not, then please disregard this comment.

Blog Entries

It may be possible, yes. Cantonese (simplified) and Mandarin (traditional) are commonly considered two separate languages.

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    It may be possible, yes. Cantonese (simplified) and Mandarin (traditional) are commonly considered two separate languages.
    You have it backwards there...

But, I don't really see the point in having a separate traditional Chinese site if it's going to be in Mandarin as well. In that case, you can just use the same trick the Chinese Wikipedia uses to automatically translate between the two character sets.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there would be much of an audience for a Cantonese site...
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zhen Lin View Post
    You have it backwards there...
    Well, really, traditional Chinese is still sometimes used in China. Cantonese is not the only language that uses traditional Chinese as a script.

But for those purposes, yes, it is backwards.

But, I don't really see the point in having a separate traditional Chinese site if it's going to be in Mandarin as well. In that case, you can just use the same trick the Chinese Wikipedia uses to automatically translate between the two character sets.
    I assume that some of the actual words will be different in Cantonese - transliterations, for example. Although, if you get the template right, it wouldn't be a gargantuan problem...

(Disclaimer: Neither am I in any authority.)
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Follow swam260 on Tumblr

Thanks again for the replies.

Mediawiki has a feature to automatically convert between Traditional Chinese(Zh-Hant) and Simplified Chinese(Zh-Hans). They are only about Writing System. Both Taiwan and China Mainland use Mandarin(or Modern Standard Chinese, it's about pronounce system), but Taiwan use Traditional Chinese, while China Mainland use Simplified Chinese.

Most Chinese users can read and know both Traditional and Simplified Chinese. And most Chinese users use Mandarin, users of Chinese divisions (Cantonese, Wu Chinese, etc) can also read and know Mandarin. The reason that Wikipedia has Cantonese, Wu Chinese, Classical Chinese is mainly to protect these language from fading away.

The Standard Chinese version of Wikipedia (zh.wikipedia.org) is one wiki but use both Simplified and Traditional Chinese, articles could be easily converted depending on the visitors' selection.

For 神奇宝贝百科, we use Mandarin (since it's the official language in China Mainland, Taiwan, Singapore) and Simplified Chinese now. Since we're converting to MediaWiki, we'll support the auto-convert feature of MediaWiki and use both Simplified and Traditional Chinese. For editors, we both accept Simplified and Traditional Chinese.

For which translation to use, I detailed it in the post above.

A update on this request:
    We're now moving to MediaWiki to meet the standard of Encyclopaediae Pokémonis. And we're trying to finish this work (move all 1600+ articles) before the Japanese release of Black & White.

The progress could be seen on http://wiki-beta.52poke.com

If there're any questions or requirements, please reply or contract me. Thanks.
    Last edited by swam260; 21st August 2010 at 11:02 PM.

A question, what would be a correct translation/transcription of the name of the wiki for those of us not familiar with Chinese language?^^

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Afrael View Post
    A question, what would be a correct translation/transcription of the name of the wiki for those of us not familiar with Chinese language?^^
    神奇宝贝百科 = "Pokemon Encyclopedia".

Literally, 神奇宝贝 means "Amazing babies" or "Amazing treasures", but in this case, it would mean something along the lines of "Amazing creatures" or, contextually, "Pokemon".

百科 means "encyclopedia".
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Surgeon of Death 捷克羅姆's Avatar Bulbanews WriterBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow 捷克羅姆 On Twitter
    Follow 捷克羅姆 on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    神奇宝贝百科 = "Pokemon Encyclopedia".

Literally, 神奇宝贝 means "Amazing babies" or "Amazing treasures", but in this case, it would mean something along the lines of "Amazing creatures" or, contextually, "Pokemon".

百科 means "encyclopedia".
    宝贝/寶貝 (bǎobèi) also means "darling" (can't forget that), but I'm going with "creatures". 神奇 (Shénqí) also means "magical" or "miraculous" (It's in my username!). For those who can't read, 神奇宝贝百科 is read as Shénqí bǎobèi bǎikē (pinyin) / Shen2 ch`i2 pao3 pei4 pai3 k`o1 (Wade-Giles).

Edit: Just another quick question, is the wiki currently accepting new editors?
    Last edited by 捷克羅姆; 22nd August 2010 at 09:37 AM.

Follow swam260 on Tumblr

Yes, it's Pokémon Encyclopedia.
    神奇宝贝 is the official Chinese translation of Pokémon, and used in Standard Chinese version of Pokémon Anime, Pokémon Adventures(神奇宝贝特别篇), and pokemon.co.jp.

We accept new editors, thanks.
    Last edited by swam260; 22nd August 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast