Hello Bulbapedia and Encyclopaediae Pokémonis,
I’m the creator of 神奇宝贝百科 ( http://wiki.52poke.com/ ), which is a Chinese Pokémon wiki under 神奇宝贝部落格 ( http://www.52poke.com/ ). The aim of 神奇宝贝百科 is to create a professional, community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia in Chinese. And all the time, we hope to join Encyclopaediae Pokémonis.
We start 神奇宝贝百科 3 years ago, previously using MediaWiki. Due to some technology and performance issues that our previous hosting had, we began to refactor 神奇宝贝百科 and write our own program in early 2009. Since then, 神奇宝贝百科 grew fast, and now have articles about all (until Generation IV) Pokémon, Moves, Abilities, and dozens of articles about characters, locations and other Pokémon-meta.
In Apr 2010, we moved into a VPS server in Fremont this summer, we have much better resource and performance than before. In Aug 2010, we start to move back to MediaWiki platform, and we finished this work on Sep 1, 2010.
In September of this year, we have more than 50 updates everyday on average. In late September and October, we did our coverage of Black & White, and finished all articles of new Pokémon, Abilities and Moves.
Our superiority comparing to other alternatives:
* We choose our Creative Commons license at an early time, and now all articles in 神奇宝贝百科 are covered under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license, which is compatible with Bulbapedia and several other Pokémon wiki.
* We have a Standard (provided below) about translation of Pokémon terms, and we fully uses official Chinese(Mardarin) names of Pokémon, Moves, Characters, Abilities, Locations, etc.
* We have already more than 1600 articles and growing, covering all Pokémon, Moves, Abilities of Generation I to Generation IV, as well as all Items in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum.
* 52Poke.com is a outstanding Pokémon news sites in Chinese community, often refer as the most reliable news source by Chinese fans.
In a word, 52Poke.com team and myself take 神奇宝贝百科 seriously for years, and we promise we’ll continually develop 神奇宝贝百科 with all our strength. We hope we could have a opportunity to join Encyclopaediae Pokémonis. If there’s still any requirement necessary, we’ll give our full support.
Much thanks for reading this, we hope your response.
Appendix: the standard about translation of Pokémon terms
Online version: (Chinese)
In this article, the term Official Translation is refer to the Chinese Pokémon terms used in products which published by a producer licensed from Pokémon-affiliated companies. These licensees are listed below.
* The term Pokémon should be called 神奇宝贝.
* The names of No.001 to No.493 Pokémon in Natinal Pokédex should use Official Translation (Mardarin).
* If a term has only one Official Translation, which doesn’t have a wrong meaning, it should use the Official Translation.
* If a term has more than one Official Translations. Then it should use an Official Translation which is closest to its origin meaning, used most widely, or fit the usual practice of Modern Standard Chinese most.
* The names of Generation V Pokémon which don’t have Official Translations should use Katakana directly.
* If a term doesn’t have an Official Translation, and the Japanese term could be spelled in Kanji, and the Kanji has the same meaning in Chinese, then it should use the Kanji.
* If a term doesn’t have an Official Translation, and both the Japanese and English term use words of foreign origin, then it should use phonetic transliteration of its Japanese term.
* If a term doesn’t have an Official Translation, and it could be paraphrased easily, then it should use paraphrase. Otherwise it should use phonetic transliteration.
Licensed producers and sellers:
* Top-Insight International Co., Ltd (HQ in Taipei)
* Shanghai Viz Communication Inc. (a Shogakukan office)
* Shanghai Good Music Entertainment Co., Ltd.
* Jilin Fine Arts Press
* Ching-win Publishing Group
* 21st-Century Publishing House
* Pro-Insight International Co., Ltd
* Toys “R” Us