REVIEW: XY030: "Corni and Lucario! The Secret of Mega Evolution!!" - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XY030: "Corni and Lucario! The Secret of Mega Evolution!!"

YOU miscalculated Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia StaffModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

Default Re: XY030: "Corni and Lucario! The Secret of Mega Evolution!!"

I think like with any fandom, people appreciate when the writers throw back a reference to an older installment of the series or franchise. I frankly don't see what's so weird about it.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

The problem I'm having with understanding why people made Pikachu + Ketchup a "thing" in the first place. It's a forgettable throwaway gag from an episode that debuted a million years ago. It's not the kind of thing I'd expect anyone to pick out and then remember for years and years after the fact.

Why is Pikachu + Ketchup a thing when, say, "Nyasu loves round objects" isn't? Why aren't people clamoring for the return of "Satoshi wants to eat Koiking"? Or any other random little one-off characteristic that's brought up once or twice and is then never mentioned again?

(And, more on-topic...the Pikachu + Ketchup thing in this episode is basically this: Pikachu gets ketchup on his hand and then licks it off. The end. There's little else in the episode more insignificant than that)
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 21st, 2015

The ketchup gag was a HUGE hit in the North American fandom back in the day. It was a meme before memes were much of a thing. As for why, I can't say exactly - it could just be an "Americans like ketchup" thing.

- Korrina is a fun character, as well as a bit sadist. She seemed to enjoy her Lucario beating Pikachu way more than she probably should
    - This is the first Lucario to appear in the anime to not have a "look at me, I am so bad ass" tryhard aura. I am still a bit sick of seeing Lucarios everywhere, though
    - Leader: "I am the Gym Leader of Blah City" Ash's crew: "EEEEEEEHH?". Seriously, stop this crap, writers
    - Oh my, Pikachu's likeness for ketchup! This bring back some good memories
    - This show would be much better with Korrina in the cast instead of Ms. Bland Love Interest
    - Why wasn't Team Rocket cut from the show yet? My god

The episode was far better than the Diantha and Mega Gardevoir one. 8/10.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12