REVIEW: XY011: "Pursuit in the Bamboo Forest! Yancham and Goronda!!" - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: XY011: "Pursuit in the Bamboo Forest! Yancham and Goronda!!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: XY011: "Pursuit in the Bamboo Forest! Yancham and Goronda!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Johtohfiller View Post
    This one wasn't much to write home about story-wise, but it had a lot of bits that cracked me up.

- Fanboy sparkles everywhere!

- Clemont's invention blows up right next to his crotch. Ow.

- TR arguing and blowing up their own balloon.

- Froakie's bubble hood.

- Froakie x Fennekin shipping!

- Sonansu voicing the eyecatch.

- Pangoro sulking when it loses its leaf, that was a nice twist on the overdone angry bear.

- Jessie catching Pumpkaboo so casually, she was all "I caught Pumpkaboo kbye." Complete with drum solo!

- Ash jumping towards Pangoro in slow motion.

- TR blasting off in slow motion.

- Ash & Co. forgetting to eat dinner.

It looks like someone on Ash's crew knows how to cook a proper meal, I'm guessing Serena since we've seen her cook already. The scene with Ash running to give Pangoro the leaf was really cool, I like how they're doing lots of action scenes that aren't Pokemon battles. This one was filler-ish, but I liked it.
    All those moments were wonderful to me. The battle scene was my favorite part with sh running through the attacks, the pokémon protecting him with their attacks, the drama---all for Pongoro to get his leaf.

I watched it subbed--not very good subs, but subbed nonetheless. It was very entertaining. It may've been filler-ish, but one can say that this episode was still better than BW's second to last episode of the season when everyone left. It was also interesting to note that the COTD was the bears today, and they had no so much personality.

My favorite part would actually be when Serena was upset with how pokedex portrayed the baby bears with their thuggish pose. Clemont takes up for it, saying that it does say that they "try to look intimidating." Or something like that.. and Serena says that "they could try to make them look cuter."

Another thing that I like about watching this episode (I've noticed it before) but Serena and Clemont have quiet fights because of their difference in personality that makes me laugh. First, when they were discussing the pokedex entry then later with his invention..

Satoshi's love for Clemont's inventions is wonderful. I like that he isn't annoyed by it or scared when he brings one out. I loved his reaction to when he realized that the invention had been right about what the Pokemon was saying.

There is something much more likable about this bear in comparison to Teddiursa and Ursaring. It's just kind of adorable as an adult and as a baby.

The ending with them forgetting to eat... that was a very old school TR type of ending... and it reminded me of Cowboy Bebop.

I love Froakie's Ninja-mode as I call it when he uses his frubbles and covers his face like a ninja. It's so cute... and Chespin, I love that little guy. He's so innocent and trusting.

This was definitely not one of the best episodes of this season, but it was still a really good episode in my opinion.
    Can you hear me?

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I thought this was a relatively grand episode in itself- the only gripe I could have might've been how Pumpkaboo was captured, but even at that, I didn't really mind. In fact, I'm delighted Jessie has a Pumpkaboo, especially with its high beams quirk. The comedy potential in that is rather high, but at the same time, I'm glad that they haven't morphed it into a running gag, especially not one like some members of James' team perpetually being overly-affectionate towards him as soon as they were called out of their pokeball. That being said, it would've been slightly funny if Pumpkaboo accidentally flashed its lights in Jessie's face, in my view, even once.
    It is an intriguing piece to have Serena complain about the PokeDex, even it was over the images that were being provided not being accurate in comparison to the Pokemon species in reality, though she had two Pancham to deduce that with, so. I think she mentions the images again when Pangoro was in a sulk, but I didn't really count it, since it was depressed.
    The entire scene with Ash sprinting towards Pangoro with the bamboo leaf clutched in his hand was sort of a far-fetched heroic act, but it was entertaining, and not to mention, a fantastic touch, just to see, Ash once again risk being hurt by a Pokemon's moves, but also, to see the trapped Pokemon using moves that they were capable of in their state to protect Ash. Actually, the whole depression without the leaf was pretty far-fetched, imo, but it was quite interesting to see Pangoro's reliance on an item to give him confidence.
    I particularly enjoyed how Team Rocket initially blow their air balloon due to them arguing pointlessly, that was amusing. Also, the scene when Meowth pleads with Pikachu was a pleasant scene, because Chespin and Froakie were perfectly placed to act as the polar opinions, on either side of Pikachu. I especially enjoyed Froakie's exasperated little shrugs. Oh... and Inkay just adamantly squirting pathetically into Pangoro's face... that was comedy gold.

For me, this episode was enjoyable mainly thanks to Team Rocket, which isn't something I'd usually feel, so that was brilliant in itself.
    "I shall have some peace there for peace comes
    dropping slow."
    - Lake Isle of Innisfree, W.B Yeats.

Gallifrey Falls No More Toa of Gallifrey's Avatar

Looks like we won't have just AmourShipping but StarterShipping too!
    Johtohfiller and NeoMiniTails like this.

Friend Safari: Ice: Delibird, Sneasel, Cloyster | Vivillon pattern: Archipelago
    PM me if you're interested adding me for the Friend Safari or want an Archipelago Vivillon that comes from a Friend Safari. :)

M-Blaziken, so much yes Shiny Blaze's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

Visit Shiny Blaze's Youtube Channel

Weak episode, and the first XY episode so far that I don't like (I did somewhat enjoy the Furfrou episode). Only redeeming things were the animation, the interactions between the starters, and Jessie capturing a Pumpkaboo. I mainly dislike this episode because it had no plot at all and I felt as if it could have had a better plot. Basically it was just TR stealing Pokémon again, and finding a leaf for an oversized panda who suddenly loses the ability to fight without a leaf.

I really disliked TR in this episode, I really dislike them in general now, they're supposed to be comedic (I guess?) but I just don't see how they're hilarious in any way. They're just obnoxious pointless pests. And I was really bothered by their arguing. For years they've captured Pokémon in a net flying away with them, working together as a team, and now they're suddenly going to argue who's getting the credit of the boss for stealing the Pokémon? Uh... They're better off off the show, but that's just my opinion.

As I said, the animation in this episode was really good, I loved the effects here and there, such as when Ash ran towards Pangoro. However, I also found this stupid. So overdramatized. Putting a leaf in a bear's mouth. Oh my... so exciting...! The effects weren't exactly needed there.

I also disliked Fennekin, I dislike it as a Pokémon but also how it is presented in the anime. It hasn't done much or exactly showed much personality. The only thing it did during the entire episode was worrying about its messed up tail -__- Hope it will get some more personality or at least DO something useful. I admit however, Froakie blushing for helping it was cute.

I liked the panda's, Pangoro was a badass and the Panchams were cute. I'm just going to throw this in though that this episode in general reminded me of Saving Darmanitan from the Bell, in that there are two naughty Pokémon stealing food from the gang (Darumaka, Pancham), who later become friends with the gang who then help out their caretaker who happens to be their evolved form (Darmanitan, Pangoro). So that seems somewhat rehashed. Not to mention Pokémon getting lost again, oh wow, we haven't seen that before, now haven't we? I'm gonna be fair though that you can't always have original plots, some plots just need to be rehashed I guess.

Finally, I like Jessie captured a Pumpkaboo. It's a cool Pokémon I think and could be a nice addition. The way it was captured was very sudden and random though, I didn't really like that. Although the drum solo while it was flashing around was really awesome.

Overall, weak episode. But it did have some redeeming points, so I'll give it a 5.
    Last edited by Shiny Blaze; 21st December 2013 at 09:44 PM.
    Shiny Blaze
    Owner of a Living Dex
    Owner of 80+ Shinies
    Obtained: 718 out of 719
    3DS Y FC: 0576-4616-1571

Please tell me there's a gif floating around of Maaiika inking Goronda... What a joker!!

Blog Entries

I am going to change my Rating and give it a 6.6 one of the Weakest XY Episodes but I don't HATE this Episode, I can Watch it again it's just a little weak. Team Rocket and Fennekin made this Episode Bad for me at least but the Pancham, Pangoro, Dednne FINALLY DO SOMETHING, and Froakie Saved this Episode for Me.

I loved this episode. It was a neat callback to the subtitled episode and really helped solidify the Pokemons' personalities in my mind.

This is the first XY episode that I've seen since it featured two of my top favorite Pokemon of the generation and I have to say, I am liking what I see! I better not get too spoiled with the Japanese version othewise I may end up being biased and not liking what the English version has to offer!

This was a nice episode in my opinion. The animation was so fluid and those adorable pandas! <3 I liked it.
    NeoMiniTails likes this.
    Pokemon X EV-trained team:

Electabuzz, Charizard, Lapras, Steelix, Pyroar, Pangoro

Quote Originally Posted by pantherotter View Post
    This is the first XY episode that I've seen since it featured two of my top favorite Pokemon of the generation and I have to say, I am liking what I see! I better not get too spoiled with the Japanese version othewise I may end up being biased and not liking what the English version has to offer!
    Don't watch the English dub, then. If the original has genuinely taken your heart let it be.
    NeoMiniTails likes this.

Blog Entries

So I've finally watched the episode (with subs!). Some observations:

Don't worry Citron, in more than 15 years watching Pokémon, I've also never seen anyone complaining about a Zukan picture before.

The Yancham are really cute, far more than they are in the games. But they are also kind of mean.

I can't believe Citron is actually intelligent enough to build a Pokémon language translator machine. Talk about a prodigy! :O

LOL Maiika's poker face is amazing, it never changes its facial expression. Also, Team Rocket sabotaged their own plan, how dumb they are?

Dedenne is finally on action again! I think...

The interactions between the Pokémon were great. Harimaron being the clumsy one, having its head stuck in the ground was funny. It is also very gullible, unlike Keromatsu who refused to help Nyarth. By the way, I think all of that pretty much puts the comparisons between Harimaron and Mijumaru to rest, since they are extremely different in terms of personality. Right?

Anyway, Maiika spitting ink at Goronda's face made me giggle. "Why add fuel to the fire!?!" lol

Speaking of the bear, it is just another generic bear in the series, sadly. I think it even shares the same seyuu as Langley's Tsunbear. Lame.

This is the first time we got to see Fokko making some different facial expressions and showing more of its "fashionable" personality. Absolutely loved some of the faces it did in the episode, but perhaps I am a bit biased since it is my favorite Pokémon (faces in the spoiler tag).

Bakeccha's capture = Lamest capture ever.

Nice to see that the writers acknowledged Fokko's Zukan entry and made it eat some branches in the episode. Harimaron didn't like the taste of it much, it seems...

Oh hey, so Goronda isn't THAT generic, it is like a mix of Ringuma/Tsunbear with Satoshi's Waruvial, since it loses its composure when its bamboo leaf is not in his mouth.

Leech Seed's new animation is great, much better than the previous animation.

I like the scene of the Pokémon attacking Maiika and Bakeccha to help Satoshi, even though they were stuck in Leech Seed's roots.

Lastly, the forest REALLY was a bamboo forest and not a generic one!

Well, that is it! Sorry for the giant post, I was typing it while watching the episode.

I can see why some people wouldn't like this episode that much, but personally I really enjoyed it. So far, X&Y isn't disappointing.

Blog Entries

This was an okay episode in my opinion. It had its good points and bad points but neither side prevailed.

Good points:

- Starters showing personality. I like that they're being referenced and being established early. Harimaron in particular being naive makes me think we'll see some great moments later down the line.

- Maiika. This thing is hilarious. Being praised one second to getting TRio clobbered. I'm hoping we see more sudden u-turns like that from it.

- All the Pokémon on the case did something. None of them seemed to be too focused on and everyone helped out at the end.

Neutral:

- Satoshi saving Goronda. Satoshi will do what it takes to save Pokémon, but we've seen that recently in this series with Gablias and I think too much of it can get a bit tiring. We saw Citron save the day last episode, so I was hoping for Eureka or Serena. Hopefully they'll be able to show their stuff later.

- Bakeccha. I'm not thrilled at the capture and seeing Shadow Ball made me roll my eyes. However I really liked it using Leech Seed and how it kept the Pokémon stationery. Bonus for Harimaron not being leeched.

Bad points:

- The plot itself wasn't exciting and neither Yancham or Goronda were showed off particularly well. IIRC only Hammer Arm was shown by Goronda. These two have pretty good movesets so I was anticipating a bit more.

Avatar drawn by me. Yamashita-aka-Doragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Yamashita-aka-Doragon on Tumblr Visit Yamashita-aka-Doragon's Youtube Channel

Fokko eating stick and Harimaron trying (unsuccessfully) do the same. Seriously, am I the only one who snickered at that? And great to see how much they're putting the facts from Pokémon Zukan to the actual behaviour of the Pokémon.

Okay first of all I loved the two Pancham; they were adorable. I liked how they ate all of Ash and friend's food at the beginning and how they fled when Team Rocket arrived. They were clearly not interested in drama. I was disappointed in Fletchling though. I thought it would actually pop Team Rocket's balloon, but it didn't. Speaking of which, Team Rocket fighting over who got the credit for their scheme or whatever that was seemed so silly and unnecessary imo. Anyway, I fell in love with Pangoro and how it just tossed Meowth back into the sky when Meowth dropped on its head lol. Pikachu's desire to help Meowth was frustrating since I knew that Meowth would betray him, but whatever. I loved when Jessie and James encountered Pangoro and how Inkay squirted ink at it. Jessie and James's freaked out expressions were hilarious. Jessie catching Pumpkaboo was quick like I thought it would be which was good and seeing Dedenne being put to good use by looking for Pikachu was nice to see. Seeing Ash and friends retrieve a new branch for Pangoro was interesting and unexpected, but I liked watching Ash risk his life to give Pangoro the branch while running towards Team Rocket; I loved the animation and that all the Pokemon helped blow Inkay and Pumpkaboo's attacks away. So yeah, the whole episode was great.
    NeoMiniTails likes this.

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

This episode was okay. Some of the Pokemon's personalities really stuck out in this episode. Fennekin likes to make sure its tail is clean, and it was pretty cool how Froakie used its bubbles to fix its tail. The Pancham sure looked as cute as they have since I first saw them when revealed for Generation VI. It was interesting to see how Pangoro is different in its aggressiveness, since it is only aggressive without its leaf. I wouldn't be surprised if Pancham would be the same way if it lost its leaf.

I chuckled a bit, as Jessie was just lightly tossing the Poke Ball to catch Pumpkaboo with that look on her face while doing so. It was interesting that both Fennekin and Froakie knew Meowth couldn't be trusted, while Chespin was very gullible. It was a nice change seeing Team Rocket blow up their own balloon this time.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Terrible episode.

They tried much too hard to make Ash look *cool* (See: Ash putting the twig in Pangoro's mouth), but he really didn't...the other characters didn't even get to do much, even though Clemont took responsibility. In all honesty, he should have shined, but no, he got swept under the rug so we could be exposed to Ash's (un)cool *heroics* for the 435566th time...

Fennekin just HAD to have a stereotypical personality, didn't it?

Team Rocket was bad, even by XY, DP and DA standards. Since when do they argue over who should take the credit? I thought they were supposed to be a team! This goes against even the worst of their DP characterizations. It seems like they're just written any how now. It was also lame how they blasted off three times, and each one was more grating than the last.

Pumpkaboo's capture was LAME...I think it was supposed to be funny how casually she (Jessie) tossed the ball at it, but it wasn't.

2/10
    Shiny Blaze likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast