REVIEW: "Triple Leaders, Team Threats!" Review Thread - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: "Triple Leaders, Team Threats!" Review Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Triple Leaders, Team Threats!" Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    -Oshawott vs. Pansage was embarrassing. If I hadn't known better, I would have said that this was one of the very first Kanto episodes. After 13 years of Pokemon, the writers actually have the nerve to show us such a childish fight? Oh dear...
    The battle was supposed to be funny though. It reflected Oshawott's immature personality and undeveloped battling skills. There's nothing wrong with a bit of comedy thrown into battles every now and then (I mean, look at Ash's league battle against Conway when he used Gible - there were plenty of laughable moments there). It gets more serious in the next episode, however, so nothing to worry about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua's Illusion View Post
    Ash has got dumb, why would you ask to battle all 3, when you could have just battled Chilli and won, it was stupid that he asked to make it best 2 out of 3. Plus he got his type matchup all wrong. He should have used Oshawott on Pansear as Iris said, then Pikachu on Panpour as he did, and then Tepig or Pidove on Pansage.
    I like the fact he wanted to battle all three leaders. It shows that he's a young, excited boy ready to take on any challenge, which is totally in character for him. Also, it gives us a chance to see three rather than just one of his Pokémon battle. As for the type match-ups - I think it would be boring if Ash had it easy. Using Pokémon with type disadvantages gives him the chance to be creative and use unique strategies.

Blog Entries

Hmmm... Cilan's voice was O.K. Mr. Griffith emulated the flamboyant style of Mamoru Miyano perfectly, yet his acting seems forced at some areas. Cress's voice was perfect! Very calm and cool. Chili's voice was pretty bad though. It doesn't sound really "fiery."
    Last edited by MizuTaipu; 5th March 2011 at 10:46 PM.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought Cilan's voice was good enough. I didn't really like that Pikachu happened to be the one that lost in any round, especially to a water-type, but after watching this episode again (in English), I realized that Panpour didn't take a single hit during the battle so I'm at least somewhat ok with it now.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think its funny that they don't even explain why Iris is even tagging along with Ash. At the beginning of the ep she wasn't there, then she randomly re-appears when he's wondering where the Gym is.

Also, did Dento and his brothers remind anyone else of Misty's sisters? Now we know Misty's sisters were an anime invention as they're not in the games, but it seems so similar to the Dento triplets.

C'mon, three brothers/sisters who are all Gym leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Also, did Dento and his brothers remind anyone else of Misty's sisters?
    Not really.

Blog Entries

Bleh. Don't like Cilan's voice right now. At least his name is pronounced the same way I was saying it. In order of my least favorite to favorite voices, it'd be Cilan, Cress, then Chili.

The fangirls' squealing also sounded really fake and bad. Corn's way of talking is really strange, but I'll get used to it... I hope. Don't know why, but the way he talks makes me think like he's trying to rhyme. Overall, I am disappoint. The translations was near perfect, though, thankfully... I'm just very disappointed in almost all the voices, including the monkey trio.
    New Member's Guide to BMGf
    icon by twilightblade

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually like the fact that they didn't give Cilan a "theatrical" or "flamboyant" voice. It would have been too over the top.

His voice now will also probably improve as the arc progresses.

Iris is starting to piss me off now. All she has ever done for the past 5 episodes is call Ash a kid. And half the stuff she calls him out for aren't even that dumb considering he's never been to the damn region before.

Everything else is good. I knew Cilan sounded kind of like Sonic from Sonic X when I first watched this.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia
    Again another week in which Pokemon goes further down the drain.
    No one is forcing you to tune in every week.

If you don't like Black & White, then don't watch it. Simple as that.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Disaster approaches... BlackwaterPark's Avatar

A few points to make:

1. Iris is just annoying right now. I swear if I hear her say "you're such a kid" one more time, I'm going to lose it. It might be better if she was actually doing something, but no, she just kind of stands around and yells at Ash (not that I wouldn't, but come on).

2. I enjoyed the battle between Ash and Cress because I enjoyed watching Ash get his ass handed to him. I'm sorry, but Ash deserved what he got. Of course Cress was going to be prepared for Electric-types, but did Ash ever bother to learn more about his strategy before he went and challenged him? Or, for that matter, did he make any preparations of his own?

3. I don't think Chili is any weaker than Cress. I feel that he was just caught off guard by Ash's choice of a Fire-type and didn't really know how to deal with it. With Cress, you could tell he practically knew Ash would choose Pikachu.

4. Team Rocket didn't do much, but now I'm interested to know what this energy source is.

5. Man, what a way to end the episode, that just infuriated me to no end. But that's what cliffhangers do, I guess. I'm actually curious about how Ash might pull this off. (I haven't seen any Japanese episodes.)

Overall, a good episode, only slightly marred by Iris. Cilan's voice is nice, and he certainly sounds better than whoever the hell PUSA brought in to replace Brock's voice actor.
    Current activity: Playing through Platinum for the first time.

1. Find shiny Pokemon
    2. Determine Secret ID
    3. RNG to my heart's content!

Last updated April 17, 2012

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

In the games, Cilan has a rather nervous, stammery way of talking, which comes off like he's trying to channel Bob Newhart. I was kind of hoping they'd apply that to the dub, though I figured it would be a long shot... :P

Right now, I'm not really sure what to make of his dub voice. He sounds...very brash (which in itself is perfectly fitting), but not really all that "fabulous", if you get what I mean. It may just be a matter of giving it some time and getting used to it, since up until now I've only been accustomed to one voice coming out of that boy.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Cress isn't supposed to be British (and good thing, since he sounds nothing like it). What he does sound like, at least to my ears, is 4Kids James. Make of that what you will.

Blog Entries

Also, I want to say something about Ash in general: After successfully battling in five regions, Ash should normally act much more mature and make the necessary preparations BEFORE entering a gym! But instead, he happily rushes in in his typically naive and overconfident way and actually hopes to win a gym badge with Pokemon he hasn't even trained properly yet.
    I for one never enter the first gym until my starter Pokemon has at least evolved!
    Rookie-Ash was kind of funny during the fist two seasons but having to see Rookie-Ash over and over and over again (even after thirteen years when he's already on his sixth journey) is annoying and pathetic alike.
    For God's sake, stop that damn constant "character reset"! I can't stand it anymore.
    You do know that all of this applies to all the regions, including Sinnoh.
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

Enoyable episode. I remember when this episode first came out Cilan quickly became my favorite character. I loved Cilan's battling style of having his Pokemon basically teasing the opponent's Pokemon to test them out before going in with a big attack.

At first Cilan's voice took me by surprise as I was so used to his dramatic-sounding voice in the Japanese version, but then I quickly got used to it thinking "yeah, this voice actually works". I like it, but it won't top Mamoru Miyano as Dent. I do wonder if Cilan can make a dramatic "hmmm" as well.

Watching the Sinnoh adventure felt like watching a mature, brilliant show for all ages, but this childish stuff is like watching Teletubbies. Again another week in which Pokemon goes further down the drain.
    But then along came that epic looking trailer for....
    and you realize that there will be something "mature" happening.

It's not like the Sinnoh adventure didn't have any fun, hilarious, and, as you like to say, childish episodes. In fact I saw a lot of those. And what's wrong with the show having fun? I mean even anime with lots of violence and battling can have funny episodes or moments.

Blog Entries

Watching the Sinnoh adventure felt like watching a mature, brilliant show for all ages, but this childish stuff is like watching Teletubbies. Again another week in which Pokemon goes further down the drain.
    .....Whaaaaaaat? xD
    The Sinnoh Adventure, mature and brilliant? XD (Piplup....)
    Oh god, that quote made my day.
    Why do you even bother watching Black&White if everything's so wrong?
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Cress isn't supposed to be British (and good thing, since he sounds nothing like it). What he does sound like, at least to my ears, is 4Kids James. Make of that what you will.
    JAMES IS CRESS'S REAL FATHER! CONSPIRACY! It's a shared trait with anyone who has (naturally) blue hair. *coughVioletcough*

EDIT: So what makes a Connoser..Conniesuer...Coni So what makes a Pokemon Sommelier different from the Friendship Checker App. on the Poketch?
    Last edited by Karamazov; 6th March 2011 at 09:13 AM.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast