"There's No Place Like Hoenn" Review Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "There's No Place Like Hoenn" Review Thread

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

Originally posted by Koryu
    Max is annoying as just about any character we've come to experience in Pokemon thus far, and guess what, he's a recurring character.
    Max is more than merely just a recurring character - he's a main character.

Originally posted by PokemonTrainerLisa
    And it was so funny when May told Torchic to use "Amber" attack, and Max corrected her. Although, I didn't get why the mushroom was there.
    That's because "hinoko" is ember in Japanese and "kinoko" is mushroom. Haruka made a similar mistake in the Japanese version, and since the Japanese creaters don't think about any dubs they put the mushroom, because she really said, "Achamo, use mushroom!" instead of, "Achamo, use ember!"

It was Columbus instead.

SOOOOONANSU!!

the best AG episode so far, but thats not saying much. Masato/Max (stupid dub name grrrr.) was more annoying in english than in Japanese. The first time I saw this episode I found him funny, in english I wanted to strangle him ^^. But he still had some good scenes and lines. Ash's battle was cool, I can't wait for his official battle. TR had good scenes and lines, but their first appearance was kind of random. Still has great animation. Overall, this was a good episode. 3 stars.

the dubbers edited out a shot of Achamo setting Jame's head on fire :(. It was extremely hilarious in the japanese version. I guess they didn't want to give kids any ideas.
    Jessie and James together forever!!!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!!!! Save me!

Eternal defender of Tracey Sketchit. Brock lovers beware ^_^.

"Like the moon over
    the day, my genius and brawn
    are lost on these fools" - Bowser, Super Mario RPG

As Unchanging as the Sea InfiniteBlue's Avatar

Originally posted by Rocketshipper:
    the dubbers edited out a shot of Achamo setting Jame's head on fire :(. It was extremely hilarious in the japanese version. I guess they didn't want to give kids any ideas.
    I barely noticed. What I saw was the embers hitting James' face, but the skin didn't char right away; only in the next set of frames was his hair on the friz, but his skin was OK. What happened in the Japanese version?

And speaking of giving kids ideas from this: why would they think about this now when they could have edited all similar shots that were aired early on in the series?
    "As you wish for kingdom come
    The one to know all the answers
    You think you dwell in wisdom's sea
    Still, sweet ignorance is the key
    To a poet's paradise
    Challenge the Riddler and you will see..."

"The Riddler" (Nightwish)

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Comparison's up. I have the picture of the badge case and everything.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 22nd, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Originally posted by InfiniteBlue
    I barely noticed. What I saw was the embers hitting James' face, but the skin didn't char right away; only in the next set of frames was his hair on the friz, but his skin was OK. What happened in the Japanese version?
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Originally posted by Dogasu
    Comparison's up. I have the picture of the badge case and everything.
    This site has exceeded its limit of 3 Gigabytes of transfer for the month. You may buy extra Gigabytes of transfer by logging in to the user menu and choosing "upgrade".
    波導は我に有り

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I just use the envy address now as a redirect page. Here's the real URL:

http://64.191.32.50/~dogasu/

Murg, I'm surprised you didn't have the pictures up sooner, seeing as how you're Mr. Screengrab Pimp around here ^^;;

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Murgatroyd
    And what's so bad about that? They've shown the same thing before. Heck, Murg, you have a picture of Brock in nearly the same position...

As Unchanging as the Sea InfiniteBlue's Avatar

Thanks for the picture Murgatroyd!

Originally posted by Dogasu in his AG episode #3 comparison:
    And here I always thought 4Kids was always trying to make James more flaming than he already was...*rimshot*
    That may be true, but it kinda reminds me of what they do to Cosmo in The Fairly OddParents. Clearly, he's married to Wanda, but they put gay jokes in there whenever they get the chance. Maybe the James-gay thing is all a gag? I dunno...

Anyway, Kojiro's skull can be seen in the flames... *twisted grin*
    "As you wish for kingdom come
    The one to know all the answers
    You think you dwell in wisdom's sea
    Still, sweet ignorance is the key
    To a poet's paradise
    Challenge the Riddler and you will see..."

"The Riddler" (Nightwish)

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Originally posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
    And what's so bad about that? They've shown the same thing before. Heck, Murg, you have a picture of Brock in nearly the same position...
    Refresh my memory...when have they ever shown any character in Pokémon on fire like that?

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hasn't it happened to Ash a few times after Charizard breathes fire on him? And in "Pokémon Shipwreck", J&J are on fire, which is what wakes them up from their island fantasy (granted, the fire is atop their heads rather than engulfing their heads, but it lasted longer)

Originally posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
    Hasn't it happened to Ash a few times after Charizard breathes fire on him? And in "Pokémon Shipwreck", J&J are on fire, which is what wakes them up from their island fantasy (granted, the fire is atop their heads rather than engulfing their heads, but it lasted longer)
    Yes, you're correct on that. In Problem with Paras, Charmeleon breathes fire on Ash. His WHOLE head. It's not technically "on fire," but the flame flows over his whole head for a few seconds, and his face is totally charred black and he puffs out smoke afterwards. I think the reason why 4Kids edited this instance out is because they are more careful nowadays, after 9/11 and stuff. The banned the Tentacruel epi after 9/11 because Tentacruel destroyed the buildings.

It was Columbus instead.

Originally posted by Hitchi
    The banned the Tentacruel epi after 9/11 because Tentacruel destroyed the buildings.
    I've seen that claim several times, but never any evidence for it. That episode hadn't been shown for a couple of years before 9/11, either.
    波導は我に有り

I missed it, because I was at that San Diego Pokémon Rocks America! event on Saturday. Missing the episode was well worth it though of course, and I plan to catch it when they air it again Friday. Anyhow~

Yes, you're correct on that. In Problem with Paras, Charmeleon breathes fire on Ash. His WHOLE head. It's not technically "on fire," but the flame flows over his whole head for a few seconds, and his face is totally charred black and he puffs out smoke afterwards.
    Indeed, and Blackjack is right in that we've seen similar instances many times before with Charizard (in Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon, I remember Brock comments that after being Flamethrowered by Charizard so many times Ash would soon be too overcooked for Aerodactyl to eat, heh). Of course Team Rocket also got barbequed by Charmeleon in Paras, but then we've seen that happen in the way it did many times before...

The banned the Tentacruel epi after 9/11 because Tentacruel destroyed the buildings.
    Really?? I'd never heard that before, though I certainly don't doubt you're correct in saying so. How pathetic... I could make plenty of snappy, bitchy comments on how I feel about society taking the demand to be PC too far anymore, but I know we've all heard it before, most if not all of us probably feel the same way, and not to menion the fact that it likely wouldn't change anything... Meh.

That may be true, but it kinda reminds me of what they do to Cosmo in The Fairly OddParents. Clearly, he's married to Wanda, but they put gay jokes in there whenever they get the chance. Maybe the James-gay thing is all a gag? I dunno...
    Heh, reminds me of a remark ChicRocketJames made to me before about Poké's James... something to the effect of "James: the gayest man on Earth who might possibly be straight". Hee, I thought it was funny, myself... ^.^

EDIT: Whoop, missed Murg's post...
    ~*GS on Broadway!*~
    EVITA Quote of the Week:

"The actress hasn't learned the lines you'd like to hear
    She won't join your clubs, she won't dance in your halls
    She won't help the hungry once a month at your tombolas
    She'll simply take control... as you disappear"

- Eva to the Aristrocracy, The Actress Hasn't Learned (The Lines You'd Like to Hear)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast