REVIEW: S16 EP29 "Crowning the Scalchop King!" - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S16 EP29 "Crowning the Scalchop King!"

Blog Entries
    Add L-05308 on Facebook
    Visit L-05308's Youtube Channel

Default Re: S16 EP29 "Crowning the Scalchop King!"

I love how the Osawott best bits sequence ends with the fight against Clay, they are not even gonna try and make us believe he's done anything interesting in the last 60 episodes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skuntank View Post
    Initally I thought the same thing, than I remembered back to the battle with Cameron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Palpitoad View Post
    Samurott has a scalchop sword. It is even more awesome than a normal scalchop.
    But those are not scalchops. Bulbapedia refers to them as seamitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraa View Post
    But those are not scalchops. Bulbapedia refers to them as seamitars.
    My apologies, I didn't take the time to look up the name.

Either way though, I'm still surprised there wasn't even a cameo.
    and that's the story...

♥ | story | ♦ | ♣ | one-shot | ♠ | ♫ | poetry | ☯ |

Thumbs up Re: S16 EP29 "Crowning the Scalchop King!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraa View Post
    As much as I would have loved to see Oshawott leave forever, seeing him get his heart broken by Osharina while she left for Ceasar was great too. But oh wait, then he just moves on to another girl at the end. Ugh!

Really lame episode. 2/10.
    Ah. . .a kindred spirit who realized how much this episode SUCKS! I actually have reviewed this episode, but it's too long for here. So, I'll leave a link.
    Zorua Reviews Chapter 14: BW 126- Crowning the Scalchop King, a Pokémon + Web Shows Crossover fanfic | FanFiction

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matthais123 View Post
    LMAO @ the comments, my favorite quote was: You expect me to believe that a whole bunch of sea shells were all gathered in one spot in the ocean, in the shape of a sea shell no less, and then an island formed on top of them, still in the shape of a sea shell? (Note: Season One people are smarter than them lol)

The episode sucked to me too, it was a direct ripoff of the Cream of the Croagunk Crop episode.

Yay, yet ANOTHER Oshawott episode. :/

Seriously, I LIKED Ash's Oshawott, but throughout the Best Wishes series it seems like the writers are too lazy/uncreative to do anything without the LOL OSHAWOTT STEALS THE SHOW gimmick will essentially ignoring many of Ash's other Pokémon.

If Ash's Snivy got half the out-of-ball scenes and antics that Oshawott got I wouldn't be complaining.

Heck, Snivy literally doesn't even exist in the Zekrom/Reshiram movie.

Blog Entries

And this is the part where I point out the things I didn't notice earlier.

Because, I honestly wasn't paying too much attention the first time due to how awful it was.

I love how they said the golden scalchop was made by someone from the island. Like...does this person have a name? How are they not important?

I find it extremely disturbing that every piece of merchandise is Scalchop related, as opposed to something more marketable like, I don't know, OSHAWOTT OR DEWOTT PLUSHIES!

When Ash said, "I'm wide awake!" and Cadbury responds with, "Really? I'm Cadbury".....That's the funniest thing in this whole DA so far. Also the irony continues as Iris refers to everyone as a pain in the neck.

I find it ironic how everyone loved Oshawott's scalchop when the thing is a piece of crap. His scalchop falling off became a gag in itself. And Iris and Cilan's commentary make it really hard to take the whole thing seriously. Probably because IT IS.

Ok, Jason is a fine cover up name. But JESTY?! Maybe my mind's just in the gutter, but it sounds reeeeeaaalllly close to "chesty".

As others have noted, and as a general fact, everyone in the Pokemon world is a total dumbass. How did Meowott not raise a single red flag?

I will note that Pikachu's facial expressions were the most adorable parts of this episode. Just look at him during some scenes, guys. Like when Oshawott his the target, or when Ash exclaims that Oshawott can't use Brick Break.

James' 4th Wall Breakage is pretty funny, but still...

Ash: "We'll do something better than that!" *Proceeds to do the exact same thing.* I loved how harsh Nurse Joy and Don George were about Oshawott getting distracted, something I forgot to mention earlier. Y so serious? And then Iris straight up disses him. No sympathy.

And then everyone gets mad at Team Rocket, when they were all the idiots who don't know what a Dewott looks like. And I still have no idea how Team Rocket even blasted off.

I love how they even felt to force the whole "Power isn't just from evolving" thing. And then chose to force that point by having Oshawott win when there was no reason he should have.

And what was with Cadbury saying Ash could forfeit if he didn't agree to just using scalchops? That was just his suggestion, not a rule. That didn't make any sense to me. Him not accepting by no mean says he should forfeit.

HOW IN THE HELL DOES OSHAWOTT LOVE OSHARINA SO MUCH?! What have they been through together? She didn't take but two glances at him.

And then Cadbury's all, "well, well" like he didn't have this whole competition rigged.

Also, does it seem to anyone else that Oshawott seems to not care much about traveling with Ash. I mean, he basically chose over him in a heartbeat. TWICE!

Iris' final expression truly shows how I felt seeing Oshawott chasing that Cinccino. Disturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    ...I find it extremely disturbing that every piece of merchandise is Scalchop related, as opposed to something more marketable like, I don't know, OSHAWOTT OR DEWOTT PLUSHIES!....
    I think there's a legal reason for that.

I know in the US there were FCC issues where they actually had to airbrush out Pokémon dolls from scene where they were decorating people's rooms.

Technically it could be perceived as subliminal advertising and the animators/localizers avoid the trouble entirely in some cases by having dolls that wouldn't theoretically actually be sold in stores, such as giant scalchops.

With the actual animation team in Japan more aware of international issues, I think they just try to avoid the problem in the first place when planning the episodes.

I think this might have something to do with why for instance you see more "pokedoll" type items in the movies, since those are technically written for the screen and therefore not under the FCC's jurisdiction.

Just a guess on my part though.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post
    ...I find it extremely disturbing that every piece of merchandise is Scalchop related, as opposed to something more marketable like, I don't know, OSHAWOTT OR DEWOTT PLUSHIES!....

I know in the US there were FCC issues where they actually had to airbrush out Pokémon dolls from scene where they were decorating people's rooms.

Technically it could be perceived as subliminal advertising and the animators/localizers avoid the trouble entirely in some cases by having dolls that wouldn't theoretically actually be sold in stores, such as giant scalchops.

With the actual animation team in Japan more aware of international issues, I think they just try to avoid the problem in the first place when planning the episodes.

I think this might have something to do with why for instance you see more "pokedoll" type items in the movies, since those are technically written for the screen and therefore not under the FCC's jurisdiction.

Actually this is a pause-able reason as too why we don't see pokedolls in the anime series. This prob may also be the reason why ash's room is so bare in best wishes.

--------------------
    As for the episode itself, it really did'nt impress me that much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post

Really? I find that odd due to all of the Victini merchandise in the Black and White movies. But regardless, I just find all scalchop related merchandise a bit wierd.

Filler episode disguised as a Oshawott leaving episode.

Shame really as Oshawott is just a rubbish version of Piplup and I was hoping he'd go.

Oshawott winning was total BS. Oshawott continuously got his rear whooped around the whole stage, literally, after Ash decided to show that "power isn't just from evolving." Then he proceeded with an aqua jet that supposedly won the match with a single hit. We've seen the same old antics for over 600 episodes. It gets repetitive and annoying.

Well, it's too bad that Oshawott didn't leave. I disliked his attitude right from the start.

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

At least this second victory of Ash's in a single-episode tournament that this arc has provided, is that, he is disqualified at the end, in a convenient manner of tying Oshawott back to him, but, in a manner that's highly believable, which I enjoyed. Osharina certainly doesn't sit around and accept anyone, even if they technically fit the bill. Though, the rule on a scalchop breaking is ridiculous to mention after Oshawott's offered the prize of that golden scalchop. A scalchop could've broken during his time as king in the middle of the year, and they wouldn't be fit to disqualify him at that stage.

Speaking of this golden scalchop... isn't that a teeny bit grand for a local competition on an Island, albeit attracting a convention of Dewotts and Oshawotts? I mean, no one should be that stunned that the TRio would appear to scoop the prize. It is the perfect prize to attract thievery, to be honest. I actually recalled AG183 when Aipom will be King for a year, when the winner is revealed to stay with the Queen as a King. Though, that fascinates me- the King part. In the episode with Aipom, she would be declared King, despite being female, and the tournament doesn't exactly mention genders here either (iirc), with this King... so could it be a female? Then again, that case was in an entirely different saga, so it wouldn't necessarily apply here. Still, unlike AG183, Ash isn't vehemently declaring to stay with Oshawott- perhaps it's because they've had a whole journey behind them.

Also, man, Dento, Iris and Ash are awful tourists, being lured in by all those tourist trap scalchop shops. The locals really have their scalchop pride, though. I adored James' loving elaborations on his scalchop design, such an adorable dork. It was a very well thought scalchop... they must've been planning that for a while for it to be so detailed. Pity it didn't bring Meowth to victory, heh heh.

Also, man, can I just mention this is the first dub episode I've seen in an age, and I highly approve of Porter's voice. Also Ceasar's owner has a sumptuous tone, which is perfect. I'm impressed, for once. Osharina as a name reminds me of ballerina, brilliant primadonna feeling to it.

"Dreaming? I'm wide awake!" Honestly, Ash, if this is your idea of a comeback, I worry for you if you ever have to face off in a rap battle. Though the match between Cadburry and Ash was rather tedious, the swordfight effect made it ever so slightly more intriguing.

I honestly didn't mind this episode, for all it is worth, but I wouldn't rush to its defense.
    "Calculated tactics, mental strength, accurate judgement, and being blessed with gorgeous looks! The person who has all of these is...!"

Nocturnal Firelord Neo Blaze's Avatar Bulbapedia StaffSuper Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit Neo Blaze's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Likeitornot. View Post
    Though, that fascinates me- the King part. In the episode with Aipom, she would be declared King, despite being female, and the tournament doesn't exactly mention genders here either (iirc), with this King... so could it be a female? Then again, that case was in an entirely different saga, so it wouldn't necessarily apply here.
    If you're questioning if a female Oshawott or Dewott could become "King", because it is called the Scalchop King Competition; I recall that in the original Japanese airing of this episode, it was implied that there was a separate competition for female Oshawott and Dewott which was held before Ash and co. came to the island, and Osharina was the winner of that competition (hence why she was called queen). The dub slightly changed this I think, which made it less seem as if there was a separate females competition.

~Super Moderator~

3DS FC: 0576-4616-1571

Does Ash seriously have to cry over Oshawott? Sorry to any Oshawott fans but this just didnt feel right...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast