REVIEW: S16 EP11 "A Unova League Evolution!" - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: S16 EP11 "A Unova League Evolution!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: S16 EP11 "A Unova League Evolution!"

If Ash keeps training and improving like he says at the end of the episode by the end of the XY League he might not even qualify.

Seriously

DP - robbed by a Darkrai/Latios
    BW - lost to a nab who doesnt understand type advantages and only seems to succeed based on have OU/Uber tiered fully evolved mons.
    XY - loses to a magikarp whos trainer has wandered off to get an icecream?

I really dont get it. The writers must of have a rough idea of when XY would start. Why did they do the league like a year before the next gen and then do two arcs. Surely they could of fit Episode in before it and had Ash having a few more evolved pokemon. What was the rush its really bad planning.

Blog Entries

Codface is right!

I'm sick of the tagline that either the narrator says after a tournament or end of a saga, or Ash talks to Pikachu or a rival after a contest is over something along the lines of;

Narrator:
    "Ash will continue to train harder in order to realize his dream of becoming a Pokemon Master!"

-Ends up getting his ass kicked AGAIN in the next regional competition, prompting the narrator to once again state that quote at the end of a league

Ash to Pikachu:
    "Don't worry Pikachu the two of us are just going to keep training to become stronger and stronger!!"

-We might see Ash train one or two episodes if we're lucky to see them indeed get stronger or at least learn some new moves that either get used once to help them win and then ash magically gets amnesia and becomes stupid again or he gets his butt whopped repeatedly while still spouting the same nonsense due to no strategy in his battles just random attacking repeatedly

Ash to rival;

Rival: Just you wait the next time we meet things will be different so I'm going to keep training so watch out the next time we meet!!"
    Ash: You bet, but I don't think so, I'm going to keep training too and get stronger and stronger!! Right Pikachu?
    Pikachu: Pika, Pika!!"

-Never sees that rival again :p

See what I mean here?

Blog Entries
    Add Lord_Mewtwo on Facebook
    Visit Lord_Mewtwo's Youtube Channel

This episode was already awful in Japanese, but the dub was even worse because of the music replacing. I miss the days of Season 14.
    Creator of The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread Last updated 8-21-11
    The user formerly known as kenai3000
    Back into Pokemon and am now more of a fan than ever

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Nope, My opinion did'nt change about from japanese version of the league episode, seeing the dub I still think that this is the worst leauge in the anime's history.

Blog Entries
    Add Lord_Mewtwo on Facebook
    Visit Lord_Mewtwo's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ♥Lady Marie♥ View Post
    Nope, My opinion did'nt change about from japanese version of the league episode, seeing the dub I still think that this is the worst leauge in the anime's history.
    Cameron's win was BS. I'd say this league is the worst as well, but not the most embarrassing loss Ash has ever had. That still goes to the Indigo League when he lost because Charizard wouldn't listen.
    Creator of The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread Last updated 8-21-11
    The user formerly known as kenai3000
    Back into Pokemon and am now more of a fan than ever

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I actually sort of liked the match. Outside of Swanna's crappy loss and Boldore being knocked out so easily, it was a fun watch. I just really dislike the outcome, since it, while it no doubt made Kotetsu's Lucario look like one of the most powerful regular Pokemon in the anime, the whole match made Ash look bad. At the very least, Ash should have handicapped himself with 5 to make it fair - the match would be over quickly, but it would make Ash look more honorable.

I really want to see what would have happened if Ash brought in his Unova reserves into this match, since he works so much better with them than half his team here.
    SammyW27 likes this.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Follow Gabo 2oo On Twitter
    Follow Gabo 2oo on Tumblr Visit Gabo 2oo's Youtube Channel

For this terrible League, I was expecting Lucario keeping his Japanese voice and if not, at least an extended version of It's Always You and Me playing in place of Be an Arrow!, neither happened.
    Last edited by Iteru; 14th April 2013 at 05:05 AM.

Moe
    Blog Entries

I don't for a moment have an issue with Cameron winning - he should have won by even more. Ash didn't choose his best Pokemon and his tactics were terrible - wasting Pignite by leaving it out against Samurott and then wasting Pikachu's last bits of energy on using a Steel move against a Steel type being the worst of them. Pikachu running head on into Lucario's chest with Quick Attack probably isn't the smartest move either.

Ash had seen Cameron battle several times by this point - sure he might throw him off with the 'secret weapon' but that's not an excuse to choose Oshawott over Palpitoad or Snivy over Leavanny. There's a reason that those Pokemon are the ones that won him his Gym badges, not just because they are evolved - but because they have (well comparatively) diverse movesets. If you know you're going against something unknown, you should go for diversity of moves - yet Ash picked his Pokemon with the most generic movesets and then used them badly. He deserved to lose.

Virgil does bug me though - he won a little bit too easily against Cameron, which rubs in Ash's loss far more than need be - and then wins and leaves without it really seeming to affect him. That's the real insult to Ash - having someone do what he has been spending his life on so easily and with so little care about it afterward. He won the league with the same joy that others won the Don Battles. Yet Ash shows so little emotion about losing that it seems like he placed the same lack of importance on the Unova League.

Perhaps Ash should have just gone home after losing to Bianca's dad.

Token positive - I liked the Tympole in the fountain out front.

Minor complaint - getting Rival Destinies here is a bit like when Black and White was sung in an episode just after the start of Rival Destinies - I really wish I didn't need to wait for the movies to hear the full versions of these songs.

Minor point - why is this episode called A Unova League Evolution when that happened last week?
    Last edited by Moe; 14th April 2013 at 12:47 AM.

Avatar of Shadows Lucifer Angel's Avatar

The battle between Lucario and pikachu was decent, I would have prefered it if Ash had won this match and fought Virgil in a three eppy match. That either had him lose after giving it his all or winning it just barely it would have at least made up for how crappy this league did turn out to be.

"I dwell within the shadows of darkness"

Blog Entries

"Perhaps Ash should have just gone home after losing to Bianca's dad."

That says it right there man that is so true...

Blog Entries

Anyone secretly while watching this hope that mid battle Ash would just throw a Thunder Stone at Pikachu. Pikachu would evolve and then thunder punch Lucario down before solo winning the whole Unova league as Raichu and finally getting Ash some progress?
    Yato and Gengarzilla like this.

I was almost hoping Snivy would evolve during her battle with Lucario and so make the fight atleast half interesting. The episode name was kind of misleading seeing as Lucario evolved last episode lol.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

It's obvious that the sauna scenes were the best out of the league arc

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

BTW, they should've used the Adventures in Unova theme instead of Rival Destinies for the ending flashbacks. Its footage is just the same with the "Yajirushi Ni Natte" that played IN Japan.

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

I just noticed that Virgil's trophy had a little Victini head on it. And when Virgil went to talk to the gang, it sounded like Eevee said "Bye Bye."

He won the league with the same joy that others won the Don Battles.
    I was gonna suggest that it might be because he's a reserved and mature character, but then I noticed that Virgil showed a lot more excitement when his brother told him about the party they're throwing for him.

Edit: He also didn't even invite Ash and co. to the party? I know they only have one helicopter, but they can go back for them or something. That's kind of a jerk move, man.

Pikachu was adorable in the shower scene. The only problem was the Cartoon Network logo covering most of him up.
    Last edited by Karamazov; 14th April 2013 at 12:54 PM.
    martianmister and Gabo 2oo like this.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast