REVIEW: S16 EP02 "A Surface to Air Tag Battle Team!" - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: S16 EP02 "A Surface to Air Tag Battle Team!"

Default Re: S16 EP02 "A Surface to Air Tag Battle Team!"

In my eyes this was a so-so episode.

On the one hand I liked Cilan's quite metaphorical lines throughout the episode, especially when he described fishing as a connection between the world under and above the water (pretty poetic description which almost had me wax lyrical as well), but on the other hand we had those two brothers that kept repeating their motto like a broken record player that just won't stop. The motto itself was pretty well chosen but it was the constant repeating of it that made it so annoying.

Or another example:
    On the one hand we had really awesome and surprising combos, something that we haven't seen for quite a while (Shouldn't Pokemon focus much more on that in the first place?) but on the other I don't see why Cilan's advice should be called worthy of an A-class connoisseur. First, why should the brothers catch a Water-type of all types? Sure, it would help them cover their team's obvious weakness against Ice-types but that's basically it. I guess they just had them catch a Water-type because earth, wind and water are some of the basic elements and thus belong together, but tactical considerations can't have played a role here if you ask me.

Also, Cilan's flash of inspiration at the end of the episode will turn out as not so clever after all if you take a closer look: If Soren and Rocky had actually caught Swana and Palpitoad, Electric- and Grass-types would have an easy job because their team would be even more vulnerable to said types. So, come on, Cilan, is that really all your expertise as a connoisseur? If I were a trainer, I would definitely not count on such advice but only rely on my own skills.

So, apart from the brothers' annoying motto and Cilan's ...well, let's call it shallowness, it was a really good episode if you love battles and strategies as much a I do.
    Gengarzilla likes this.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

I don't think there has ever (IMHO) been a more annoying CoTW!
    On the plus side, BRAVIARY!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    First, why should the brothers catch a Water-type of all types? Sure, it would help them cover their team's obvious weakness against Ice-types but that's basically it. I guess they just had them catch a Water-type because earth, wind and water are some of the basic elements and thus belong together,
    Air, land and sea are the three operational domains strength is gauged in. It was referring to that, something that was probably made less clear in the dub than the original.
    So.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Did they really have to recite that stupid line whenever they used a battle combo? That got annoying really fast!
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

This episode gets a 10/10 for all the great lines Iris,Cilan and twins had. Ash was indifferent.
    At least they gave us a nice filler. Compared to fillers before it (from Clash of the Connoiseurs till Unrest at the Nursery.)
    Tied up with the Beauties Filler.

Let the Solrock's light shine upon the lost Mareep!
    Last edited by Zexy; 11th February 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Blog Entries

No, This Was Such A Bad Episode That I Think I Almost Threw Up.
    97SaturnSL1 likes this.

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

Between Jessie's throwaway comment about Ash's Pikachu at the end of 'Unova's Survival Crisis' and Soren & Rocko repeating their motto(s) over and over, it's like the writers are giving us a baptism of fire to prepare us for Team Rocket returning to their constant attempts at stealing Pikachu. :P
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the only pluses was Braviary and Iris calling the twins Pains. i think its a bad episode when you have one of the super positive MAIN CAST MEMBERS calling out the cotd...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 9th February 2013, 09:32 AM