REVIEW: S16 E19 "Flames of a Red-Hot Reunion!" - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: S16 E19 "Flames of a Red-Hot Reunion!"

Default Re: S16 E19 "Flames of a Red-Hot Reunion!"

This episode was great. It's the only one I've ever seen in Japanese, and it impressed me as much then as it does now. Nice fanservice, nice flashbacks, a great way to introduce that idea of "natural battles" N talks about in Chargestone cave, a fun battle, and Ash correcting Iris. All of the good points have been pretty well covered on this thread.

Trophies

This was one of the episodes I really liked. The flashbacks were the best of it all and the MAGIKARP SALESMAN!!! I loved that little detail they put in. The voice acting for the flashbacks were slightly off, and the only thing I didn't like is how they made the Nurse Joy in Kanto look like the ones in Unova; they should have just kept the original design for her. Ashame they didn't give the old characters more screen time, but I shouldn't ask for much.

---

Rating:
    No.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserLugia View Post
    and the only thing I didn't like is how they made the Nurse Joy in Kanto look like the ones in Unova; they should have just kept the original design for her.
    That's a common misconception, since she wasn't on-screen long.

It's the old Joy.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

I really wish we'd gotten to see a bit more of the Kanto Fair. It looked way more colourful and interesting than the Johto Festa from DP, but while that took up three quarters of the episode, the Kanto Fair was on screen for two minutes. Couldn't we have had Ash talking about Charizard while exploring the fair?

Blog Entries

I still think that this was the best episode of the season so far. It says that Eli James Voiced Damian In this episode, so i listened to the voice and it did sound like him.

Quote Originally Posted by UnovaCastaway View Post
    I loved this episode!
    Poor Koga didn't get to show up in BW2, but he got into an anime flashback! I was happy to see the battles against Blaine's and Gary's Pokémon too.

Charizard looks like he has retractable Wolverine claws when he uses Slash. And I still can't get over how Wing Attack looks like Steel Wing. He's pretty strong if he took a Thunderpunch and Dragon Rush and still knocked Dragonite out of the sky.

Of course, I loved seeing Misty and Brock again! Actually, this weekend, I'm at AnimeNEXT in NJ and saw Bill Rogers and Michele Knotz today. Michele said she did reprise Misty, and both of them said they enjoyed playing those two characters again! (Bill: "Did any of you watch Pokémon this morning? Brock was on TV again!")

Overall, this episode lived up to much of its hype, and was handled well, even though the festival and battle felt a bit short. It pulled many of my heartstrings as a Pokémon fan, with great characters and scenes from the classics as well as the newer gens!
    Well glad you enjoyed it. It's my first time I saw Ash from the 1st season on! Did Damian changed his accent to a lot more... BRITISH?!??!? Good job Eli James, you should've done a little bit of it when playing Volkner!

Anyway Charizard is the coolest! I can't wait to go to Kanto... Either that or get a Charmeleon from the GTS. I'm offering my Watchog!

Registered User charizardmaster125's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that the dub of this episode was fairly solid despite a few oddities here and there. I'm not going to complain about the voice acting because In my eyes, the current cast have become pretty solid with their roles in BW. The only thing is that Michele Knotz makes Misty sound more like May and this would become jarring should the two bee seen in an episode together again but I'm not going to worry about that any further.

Yes, I know that the way the old cast got replaced was wrong after eight seasons but there will come a time where the current cast will be eventually replaced assuming the show will continue beyond Gen 6 which it probably will. On the side, for those who have watched the show for as long as I have, it was nice to see that Bella Hudson / Erica Schroeder returned to her role as "Old Nurse Joy" and I really liked Damien's voice.

Anyway about the episode itself, I liked that they fixed the errors with Aerodactyl and Pidgeotto, shame they forgot about the sleeve error and I believe that the "Oak Eyes" error listed on Bulbapedia was also not fixed. The scripting was good and I liked that not they not only stayed faithful to the Japanese script but also some of 4Kid's scripting as well during the flashbacks.

Sound wise the echo effect used in the flashbacks was a little off putting, one that wasn't used in the JPN version but I guess it was the dubs way of making things sound more dramatic. Music was fine, I've got no real complaint with the MIDI music that TPCi used as I was expecting that some tracks were to be replaced anyway. Frustrating I know, but there is really nothing that can be done about that.

It's worth noting that some of the roars that Charizard made in some minor parts of the dub were different but you would have to watch the JPN version and be a good listener to understand where I'm coming from but it looks like that some lines were re-recorded in Japan and Dragonite got a couple of small extra grunts.

Overall, an enjoyable episode none the less.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic58355_1.gif

When Ash's Charizard gives you a thumb's up, you know that he'll be back soon!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charizardmaster125 View Post
    I think that the dub of this episode was fairly solid despite a few oddities here and there. I'm not going to complain about the voice acting because In my eyes, the current cast have become pretty solid with their roles in BW. The only thing is that Michele Knotz makes Misty sound more like May and this would become jarring should the two bee seen in an episode together again but I'm not going to worry about that any further.
    I agree completely because I remember in one scene Misty was talking when she wasn't visible and I could have sworn it was May. Didn't Maylene the fighting type leader in Sinnoh have the same voice actor as Misty?

You know when Iris says something stupid everyone is going to scratch their heads even her own Pokemon and nice to see Axew cracking a giggle at her stupidy. It was like she and Ash had a "Freaky Friday" thing going on with Ash being the competent one knocking her down several pegs xD

iris-screwed-up.jpg

is watching her own icon Magenta Fantasies's Avatar

Visit Magenta Fantasies's Youtube Channel

Wow, seven pages of posts... O_o

Quote Originally Posted by DracoMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanto Kimono View Post
    Does anyone know who is the VA for the stage girl who owned the three Pokemon from Kanto? The one who took Charmander to the Pokemon Center? Her voice sounds awfully familiar.
    Liza Ortiz. She's had several roles for CotDs and recurring characters, like Mars from Team Galactic.
    I thought that was Lisa Ortiz the moment I heard her! The girl with the Charmander had a very similar voice to Amy Rose from the Sonic the Hedgehog games, who is/was also voiced by Lisa Ortiz (and Mars sounded very similar to Amy as well).

This is one of my favorite episodes in this arc, if not all of BW. It was nice to see the flashbacks re-animated (considering how much the style and quality of the animation has improved since Kanto, it would've been really jarring to use old animation for the flashbacks) and considering how long it's been since I've seen the episodes in the flashbacks, I'm not going to complain about discrepancies. I squealed a little when I saw Tracy, even though he didn't get any lines.
    I don't even like Charizard that much, but I thought it was great to see it come back and fight Iris' Dragonite. I'm looking forward to seeing it in later episodes in this arc.
    DeviantART: phoenixflaym
    Fanfictions: Obsessions Crystal Clear Gold Hearted Silver Lining
    Nimbasa Sunrise

Blog Entries

One more thing;

Charizard without Seismic Toss is like Pikachu without Volt Tackle, it just doesn't feel the same those were their SIGNATURE moves fans adored. We knew when Ash called for either one of those moves the battle was all but won.

Let's see this is just speculation; last time we saw Charizard it knew-Flamethrower, Seismic Toss, Dragon Breath and Steel Wing.

So I'm guessing the move change went like this;
    Flamethrower stayed the same
    Steel Wing to Wing Attack
    Dragonbreath to Dragon Tail
    Seismic Toss to Slash

Interesting since in the games Seismic Toss has automated damage on the users level while Slash has increased damage if it lands a critical hit which is useful since the move itself has a higher critical hit ratio than normal. But still not seeing Seismic Toss was a let down.

I liked how in the flashbacks the move was shown differently in the way Charizard executed the move especially at the end of the move with Magmar or Blastoise it looks like Charizard is still high in the air when it tosses the opponent crashing into the ground.

Another thing was in the Charizard Valley when Ash's Charizard was getting beaten up I remember in the original episode they "blacked out" those scenes with a black screen and stars appearing in a comical fashion expressing a hard hit being delivered since he literally was getting his ass kicked that bad on a kid's show but here they were still shots of Charizard after feeling the impact of his beating.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    Seismic Toss to Slash
    And, thanks to the animation, it's like the animators were lazy, kept the animation for Steel Wing, and just called it Wing Attack. We haven't seen Steel Wing colored metallic gray yet, haven't we?

And they had to keep a Dragon move on him somewhere.

Blog Entries

Seismic Toss to Slash
    And, thanks to the animation, it's like the animators were lazy, kept the animation for Steel Wing, and just called it Wing Attack. We haven't seen Steel Wing colored metallic gray yet, haven't we?

Hey, good point! I was thinking about that a couple of weeks ago about that very thing! Iron Tail is now just like in the games a metallic tail. Steel Wing just isn't the same though, in that aspect I mean. I've wondered about it since Gen III. For instance after I got the TM from Steven on Dewford Island I'd usually teach it to a Tallow if I had one on my team. In the back of my mind I thought/wondered if the move would actually make the user slower since the wings turn into steel and metal is a heavy substance, how would that effect a flying Pokemon since their wings are what keeps them up and if they should turn into heavy objects would it hinder their flight?

Over-thinking again...but hey its who I am!

Yeah, I just wish the move wasn't spammed so much with the Dragon Gargoyle of the Unova Region knowing it along with Trip's Serperior knowing Dragon Tail.

Blog Entries

Seismic Toss to Slash

It would've been better if they'd had Charizard learn Dragon Claw instead of Dragon Tail and Slash. It would've let him keep Seismic Toss.
    Paulisthebest and Yato like this.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Blog Entries

^Only thing is Krookodile knows the move and they probably just wanted it to use the move for some reason :/ oh well...

Blog Entries

It is weird that they gave the old Nurse Joy back to Bella Hudson.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast