REVIEW: S15 EP46 "The Road to Humilau!" - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: S15 EP46 "The Road to Humilau!"

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: S15 EP46 "The Road to Humilau!"

Quote Originally Posted by Adyniz View Post
    Also, it might be just me but Marlon's voice sounded similar to Cilan's.
    He sounded like Cilan to me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji-girl View Post
    For those wondering, Mantine's name was not mispronounced in this episode. That's actually how you say its name according to Pokedex 3D Pro. Just thought I mention this. I can't get used to how Ferrothorn's name is pronounced though.
    Heh. So I guess 4Kids had been pronouncing it wrong all this time, except those who were in charge of Chronicles.

This episode was okay, though I can't help but notice Cameron's scatterbrained mistake that he will make again in the league. And it was nice to see another one of the gym leaders from B2W2.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 5th January 2013 at 01:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaljinyu View Post
    Awful lot of side characters in Gen 5. I like it. It's like Pokémon Generations or something. I wonder what significance this Cameron guy has.

You really don't want to know if you don't already...

This ep was alright. I felt like they could have made this into a 2 parter and erased the horrid daycare filler in favor of having the bonding be all of ep 1 and gym be all of ep 2 though.
    Paulisthebest and 97SaturnSL1 like this.

Blog Entries

Cameron better thank his lucky stars that Mantine didn't have Water Absorb as its ability otherwise he would have been screwed. Gym battle was way too rushed considering that it didn't give either sides Pokemon the time to properly shine considering this was an 8th gym battle (for a "rival" or friend but still it could have been better) we don't or I don't really get that Marlon is the last gym leader kind of feel considering his position in the BW2 game series. But due to plot, the league and other stuff like that he has been reduced to just a memory after this episode.

Cursed Body taking effect was nice but kind of weird and funny to see the effect it had on both Jellicent and Ferrothorn looked like they were having seizures or something (ok seizures aren't funny of course but you get what I'm saying).

Kind of disappointing for a non-STAB Thunderbolt to take it out though and in one shot? Then Mantine taking out Ferrothorn who in the games is nearly impossible to take out without Fire or Fighting type moves with 3 moves that are not very effective (Wing Attack did normal damage since it is part Grass type) and what got me is the fact that Iron Barbs wasn't shown to do damage either.

Samurott did look like a beast though. Really wish that Ash would have spent time training instead of wasting time about another trainer's gym battle. I mean in the last episode and the start of this one when he burst out "Can I come and see your battle?" I was thinking "Why?" league is right around the corner I'd start training and HARD if I were you...

Oh well, guess some things never change it looks like another Ash and Richie kind of "relationship" going on if you catch my drift...

So, I guess after this episode we can safely say that Marlon is probably the weakest gym leader in Unova, right? His Jellicent got defeated pretty quickly, he didn't have any strategy up his sleeve (something that almost every gym leader has had so far) and his so called ace-Pokemon didn't stand a chance against Samurott.
    Also, this episode showed why Samurott is by far the best and coolest fully evolved form of the Unova starters (Glad I chose it as my own starter back then)

There was something that surprised me though: Judging from Ash and Cameron's conversation in that cave, are we supposed to believe that there's a difference between Pokemon Champions and Pokemon Masters? If there was none, then the boys would have talked about the same thing, so why use different words in the first place? So do we have to assume that there actually is a difference? I don't think so! It wouldn't make any sense to differentiate between Champions and Masters because a Champion, especially Cynthia, is a Master at the same time, of course. I think the writers were just inconsistent once again.

All in all, a very decent episode with a nice first part that had pretty mature lines here and there and a short but intense gym battle.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

In both this episode and the previous, Cameron came off as REALLY annoying. Thank God he left at the end of this episode, so we won't have to deal with him for a while. I just hope they don't make him a recurring character and have him show up again later.

I also found Marlon rather annoying, too. I think it was his voice. And the battle with him was rather dull until the end when Samurat showed up. While i like Oshowatt, Samurot is my least favorite of the starters' final forms this genreation. However, it's depiction in this episode made me think it's not so bad after all. Who knew it could suddenly switch to being bipedal to use it's swords like that.

Also, what was up with the UK seeing this and the next several episodes so early?

Blog Entries

In both this episode and the previous, Cameron came off as REALLY annoying. Thank God he left at the end of this episode, so we won't have to deal with him for a while. I just hope they don't make him a recurring character and have him show up again later.
    I'm going to aggree with you about Cameron, he was rather annoying.

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I suppose I'm still in the minority that is fond of Cameron, then. Oh well.

Yeah, I think my largest complaint is what was brought up in the Original review thread and mentioned here as well and that is the fact that this wasn't divided into a two parter. I think that would have been more efficient, since Marlon didn't really get much of the spotlight in comparison to Roxie. Perhaps they felt this method was only necessary for one of the new BW2 Gym leaders? Still, Marlon shouldn't have been shafted to half an episode like that. Also, maybe I'm just fussy, but I think it would have been more satisfactory if they had more than a 2 VS 2 in a Gym match, even if this isn't Ash? 3 VS 3 or 4 VS 4 would've been grand (if they had another episode).

I thought it was sweet how they bonded together in that way, you know. I just find this so peculiar- in this, and in the Original too, I believe, they never name what fruit it is (I'm guessing an Apple, it resembles and is eaten like one). I wonder why, has this occurred before? I can't remember. I feel the the initial rescue was slightly unnecessary, but then again, it does establish the cliff edges need some visibility and focus to overcome, as well as the fact it boosts a "returning the favour" vibe onto the second rescue.

I know, people say he's an idiot, but Cameron's not hopeless, I feel. He directed them eventually by constellations and knew them well enough to manage to navigate to Humilau. I loved the touch of the Pokemon constellations too, that was neat! And he did think to bring along a compass... albeit not in working order...
    I don't mind Cameron's dub voice, but I'm glad they kept Riolu's as its Original voice(it sounds like it, anyways). Sometimes, though, Cameron could've had a little more tone in some places.

Marlon... I did expect him to have cringe-inducing lines, because he does in the English games as well, but not with such a voice. That made it worse for me. I find it interesting how Cameron battles at times- he does have a strategy in mind, but he wouldn't use his common sense to his advantage, like how he sends out Ferrothorn as it's part Grass, as well as slyly having Thunderbolt in addition, but doesn't calculate how the battlefield would not be in favour of Ferrothorn's body. In the contrary, he uses Samurott due to its body in the water, against the fact that its Water-type moves wouldn't be that effective. I did enjoy the battle underwater, Aqua Jet in particular looked quite fine, and I loved Samurott's pose as it and Mantine emerged through to the surface. You could tell by Mantine flinging back down, that Samurott was certainly doing well.

All in all, an okay episode for me.
    "I shall have some peace there for peace comes
    dropping slow."
    - Lake Isle of Innisfree, W.B Yeats.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

6/10

Very watchable episode could of been better but it felt so rushed normally this would be 2 episodes 1 part for getting lost learning about Carmeron and another for the gym battle. I have no idea why they tried to do everything at once but you could tell they were desprate to get the new gym leader in an episode to help promote the games, as for Cameron he is really great i love him hes funny hes a bit like the ash of old, i wish there was more of him so they could really develop his bond his ash and his personality, dident really learn much about him or his pokemon.. im hoping he comes back and gets at least 2 episodes revolving around him.

One more thing That Samurotts a bit of alright, I really love it XD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morgil View Post
    Also, what was up with the UK seeing this and the next several episodes so early?
    Whenever CITV gets near the end of the season (and when its usually a holiday) they tend to rush them all out. Not the first time and I doubt it will be the last.

BackwardsMan, huh? NoodleChefKyle's Avatar

Okay. I'll admit it. It takes a lot to get me not excited about a gym battle episode. Case in point, Cameron. At least you had Samurott to make you look a little awesome.

And Ash, really. "Great minds think alike"? What exactly does that say about you?

Maddie Blaustein, 1960-2008
    You will be missed.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji-girl View Post
    I skipped the original version of this episode but watched dubbed version today. Can't say that I liked it at all. For some reason I don't feel the voice actors, who I love dearly, were giving it their all in this one. Like, Iris sounded really tired for some reason and didn't sound like herself. Heck I think they even didn't want to do this episode j/k

As for Cameron...ugh. Now I see why I skipped this episode in the first place. I read from the original review thread that this episode help make Cameron more likable with his interactions with Ash. Well it didn't work for me. Their interactions in this episode is just a carbon copy of what happened with Ash and Morrison, right down to the part to where Ash has to save Cameron from falling off of a cliff. It did not nearly have as much substance as Ash and Morrison's friendship if you ask me.

For those wondering, Mantine's name was not mispronounced in this episode. That's actually how you say its name according to Pokedex 3D Pro. Just thought I mention this. I can't get used to how Ferrothorn's name is pronounced though.
    Weird. You know, I was surprisingly very happy with the VAs performances in this episode: all of them. This coming from the guy who can't even sit through most TPCi dub eps without cringing at the voice acting...

No one bugged me at all. Sure, they sounded tired and bored (I was laughing at your comment about Iris), but their voices have finally grown on me, and this is really the first TPCi dubbed episode I am 100% satisfied with Sarah Natochenny's Ash voice (Griffith and Stevens have never bothered me so far).

What I mean by that is, I haven't heard Sarah's yelling come out extraordinarily forced for the first time in the dub to me- like when Ash was grabbing Cameron's hand, I was shocked at how genuine Sarah was in that scene. No forced grunting...it sounded natural. Like Ash was actually struggling to help Cameron up. She's finally getting Ash down in this saga, IMO: it's scary how much she's reminding me a lot of Veronica Taylor's Ash here.

As for Mantine, I know NOA's official pronunciations are indeed stated in TPCi's dub, but I like "Man-tine" more than "Man-teen," personally. Sad part is, I like 4Kids' pronunciations better than NOA's: roll off the tongue better to me? XD.

Now, of course, Ted Lewis (I'm pretty sure it's him?) was poor as Marlon overall. I could tell it was his standard boy voice with a hip-surfer spin, and it was annoying. Everyone else was pretty solid, though. Sarah stood out in this one to me though. Pretty damn good job from her.

Still, I'm partial to the 4Kids dub and its VAs when it comes to Pokemon, whereas you're partial to TPCi's dub and their VAs, so it could just be me. *shrugs*

Good episode for Sarah Natochenny, and a horrible one for Ted Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Gabriel View Post

He sounded like Cilan to me, too.
    Sounded more like Ted Lewis to me than Jason Griffith. Maybe I need to get my ears checked...xD.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 13th January 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 29th December 2012, 02:15 PM