Like Tree8Likes

Thread: S15 EP36 "Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 2)"

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Default S15 EP36 "Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 2)"

BW084 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Ash's 3-on-6 gym battle against Roxie, the leader of Virbank Gym, continues. Can he attain victory against her Poison type pokemon?

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Default Re: S15 EP36 "Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 2)"

I felt the dub version a bit cold today, as compared to last week. Unnecessary music editing and all. The characters' VAs did a fine job though.
    Iris: "Pignite, fight! Do it right!" XD ... It sounded a bit awkward to me, IDK why. Oh well...

WTP:

Moe
    Blog Entries

Garbodor's voice is hilarious and having it battle Palpitoad just enforces that even further - I know it's probably not the intention for the battle to be funny, but I was laughing a lot during this episode. Otherwise, my only problems with the episode are the unbalanced nature of the gym battle, so nothing the dub can do about that.

The dub kept the 'Next time a new beginning' on the end of the episode - not sure what to make of that but all signs are that they are just going to keep running as Rival Destinies - though perhaps I can hope for a new intro animation next week, otherwise I'd have thought they would edit this to To be continued. Looking forward to next week regardless.

That eight for eight, but we're too early in the series for it to all be over that quick. But don't tell me what's coming next!

Anyway, this, being Ash's eighth battle, was one of Ash's tougher battles. But I found it pretty similar to DP068, A Triple Fighting Chance! Right down to how Iris cheered Ash on the way Dawn cheered Ash on. Right down to Iris & Dawn's "do it right" line. Except, to borrow from this episode, and Spinal Tap, Iris took it up to 11 and had Axew, Cilan, and herself in full war paint, war drums, and war... ponchos, drowning out the cheers of the rest of the room to incense Ash's morale.

I would've considered Roxie giving Ash's Pignite a Pecha Berry cheap, if his Pokémon didn't absolutely need them. It was a wash, had it not been for those berries Ash probably would've lost. 1 Pokémon each is even, Ash? In some cases, yes. But you started out with 6, she only had three. If this was truly even, you wouldn't have any more Pokémon. She did you twice over for each Pokémon, man.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Ash should be able to give his own Pokemon berries - I think it's enough of a tactical risk to take the 10 seconds to eat it mid battle to justify it in the anime's battle rules. Sure it's a bit stupid that the Gym leader would give Pignite one, but I wish that curing status issues mid battle would be a more normal part of the anime's battle methods. It's especially relevant when there are moves based on the use of berries.

Blog Entries

Did ash forgot about Pikachu's static ability, kinda made me mad that Cilan was the one who pointed it out and not Ash.

Anyways hopefully they'll remix the Rival Destinies opening with scenes from Be an Arrow!

A better dub than last weeks I though. Shame we couldn't get the episodes back to back like they deserved.

Still a bit disappointed in Scolipede's voice, but the rest of the voices, those done by both human and pokes were good. Liked Garbodor's voice just as much as I did in it's previous debut. I liked how they made use of its arms in the fight to escape and dodge various attacks, that was cool.

Palpitoad, Y U NO GET MORE EPISODES!? You're so cool in all the ones you appear in!

I actually hope Roxie appears again, even though the chances are slim. Her banter with Ash was enjoyable.

I liked this episode, but there were a few things I didn't like at all.

1) Roxie giving Pignite a berry. That was cheap.
    2) Garbodor's Hyper Beam having no recharge effect. That was cheap.

Also, if I was in the crowd I would not be cheering for Ash's win. He used 6 pokemon against three. Roxie cured one of his poisoned pokemon, and he had to use Pikachu to even beat Roxie's Garbodor, and that was really only because it was paralyzed. IMO Ash did not win this last gym battle, it was a forced victory.

Oh, did anyone else think at first that Meloetta had help Pikachu by tying Garbodor's arms together, because at first that's what I thought had happened. Anyway, I would give this episode 7/10. I can't wait to see what this new beginning thing is all about!
    3DS Friend Code ~ 1762-2785-8494

Add me and give me yours!!

Canadian Sweetheart Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

Well the dub was interesting, dub actors did a pretty good job. Garbodor's dub voice though.....nuff said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torterra Trainer View Post

2) Garbodor's Hyper Beam having no recharge effect. That was cheap.
    In the BW series have we even seen when a Pokemon that had to recharge from a Hyper Beam or Giga Impact yet? I can't recall from the dub episodes so far. I remember against Burgh his Leavanny used continuous Hyper Beams in the battle without one sign of having to recharge. So, this reminded me of that battle and I think that would be ranked #1 in the lamest gym battles in Unova in my opinion.
    Duque likes this.

Blog Entries

I guess the rules governing the effects of attacks and abilites are kind of an on/off thing. Which is weird, since TPTB act like they're sticking to the game mechanics (4 moves per Pokemon, and that sorta thing). One more reason why I think they don't often know what they're doing. And yes, once again they made sure Uberchu saved the day (though it was less unrealistic than a few battles I can name...yes, Flint of Sinnoh, I am looking at you).

And did anyone else notice they inserted a bit of Season 1 background music? That's one thing I hope they do more often. Now if they could just bring back the original "Who's That Pokemon?" graphic/music...
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

(I've been busy recently so I wasn't able to post reviews regularly)

This was a good episode and in my eyes a worthy eighth gym battle, considering that the last gym battle of the respective region has always been considered something special. And although I still don't like the fact that Ash was allowed to use six Pokemon against only three of Roxie's because in retrospect it kind of looked like an unfair victory, I think that the battle as a whole was well thought-out, having exciting twist and turns and different strategies.

What I'd like to point out in particular is that Pikachu was able to win with brute force for a change. In many battles and almost all gym battles which he took part in, he had to rely on strategy and certain unexpected tricks because he often didn't seem to be on par with his more powerful opponent.
    Now don't get me wrong, I'm convinced that strategy is a good and important thing but we also need to see a Pikachu who is able to win by strength alone, something we witnessed today.

But do you want to know what's really best about this episode?
    Next week SHE returns! SHE, the Queen of Pokemon and most wonderful angel! Everybody bow down to Cynthia!
    Sweenix likes this.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Blog Entries
    Add L-05308 on Facebook
    Visit L-05308's Youtube Channel

Ash's line: "Don't you dare go easy on me" made me faceepalm after he had already excepted a Pecha berry and the 6-3 matchup, granted Palpitoad didn't actually do damage to Garbodor but Koffing took Boldore, Unfezant and Leavanny's attacks.

Visually this battle is awsome, we get to see six of Ash's pokemon performing quite epically but this does not make Ash look particuraly strong.
    Duque likes this.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

thought this was dubbed well, the animation was quite terrible though..

loved the episode regardless, and i cannot wait for next week! XD
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it was meh. the animation was on the bad side. iris and cilan looked like an accident in a car paint shop. O.o the battle was fair but not too oh ah. it was better then
    . but id give it a 6.5/10. i wish Roxie would have sang "I Love To Singa"... Hope the Gym battles (after next one) get better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 21st October 2012, 09:44 AM
  2. 20th October 2012, 08:04 AM